"There is a Recommended Update for this PC"

The ones you posted in your previous post. These were block notifications from Malwarebytes (it blocked a connection from being established). Do you still get them?

Also, has the pop-up comeback yet or not?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do right now since your logs do not show any signs of that infection. What I'm really curious about though is how the pop-up was removed the second time, since neither you or I touched it.

It is possible that this pop-up is generated by a webpage, and closing it will just remove it. You only receive it while browsing the web, and not when you boot your computer, right? That would be my guess.

I know we are, but sadly, there are no traces of that infection in your logs at all. I'll ask my colleagues if they have any idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have the process and file location like the 2 others? What were you doing when the pop-up appeared?

Well I saw the pop-up screenshot, but I didn't see the filename and path in the first link.

Run the following fix.

Also, I have an idea of what we could do to see what process create/drop that file on your system, but it's quite a longshot for now.

fixlist.txt

Nothing as always.... Let's see the Registry.

iO3R662.pngFarbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) - Registry Search
Follow the instructions below to download and execute a Registry search on your system with FRST, and provide the log in your next reply.

• Right-click on the executable and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Accept the disclaimer by clicking on Yes, and FRST will then do a back-up of your Registry which should take a few seconds;
  • In the Search text area, copy and paste the following:
    48F37EAF-6C5B-1217-01C3-37FF25ABCB67
  • Once done, click on the Search Registry button and wait for FRST to finish the search;
  • On completion, a log will open in Notepad. Copy and paste its content in your next reply;

Looks like we might have to go with the longshot solution after this.

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) Version: 29-07-2017
Ran by Nick (29-07-2017 16:33:18)
Running from C:\Users\Nick\Downloads
Boot Mode: Normal

================== Search Registry: "48F37EAF-6C5B-1217-01C3-37FF25ABCB67" ===========

====== End of Search ======

Just a heads up to tell you that I haven't forgotten about you. Currently exploring a solution to find what drops the file (setup.log) and creates the folder on your system. We might use Moo0 File Monitor.

http://www.moo0.com/?top=http://www.moo0.com/software/FileMonitor/

Even ProcMon would work, but the log could be really huge.

Edited by Aura

You can delete this folder manually:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Totolesec

Also, can you .zip the C:\FRST\Quarantine folder and upload it to the same link I provided? The task we deleted should be there, so I can take a look at it.

Alright. Usually did it come back systematically after every reboot, or it could lay low for a few days before coming back?