Update Settings

This is what help says about the Update settings.

Application Updates

Malwarebytes may have updates available for individual program components, or for the full program. We provide two toggle switches which allow you to choose whether either or both upgrade modes can be integrated into your copy of Malwarebytes 3 when they are available. Click Install Application Updates to check for available program updates or upgrades. You can choose if you upgrade, and when. Upgrades only happen with your consent.

Unfortunately, this really doesn't explain the current settings very well.  One of the current settings is "Notify me when full version updates are available".  What do the on and off values mean for this setting.  For instance, if it is ON, does that mean I will be notified of a new version, but it will not be installed?  Or will it be installed?  What does the OFF value mean?  I will not be notified, but it will be installed?  Or will it not be installed?

Can someone explain what the ON and OFF values really mean?

Thanks
Bill

"Full version updates" are the updates that require you to run an installer over top of your existing installation (think, MB3.0.6 to MB3.1.2). If you have that setting turned off, you will not be notified of a new full version when it comes available. So in this example, if you were on MB3.0.6, when 3.1.2 was released you would not be notified that 3.1.2 was available and the update would not be downloaded. You would have to check manually.

21 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

I thought people were complaining that they were automatically updated from 2.x to 3.x.  Is that not the case?  I'm still a bit confused?

It will continue to notify/NAG until it gets installed. That is what those people are complaining about. They did not want program updates and when they realized that setting was available. they turned it off and they were still notified because the update was ALREADY downloaded and awaiting install.  That downloaded program installer had to be removed as well to stop the notifications.

@Porthos

Thanks for the explanation.

@dcollins

That is too bad.  That means the next time there is a full version upgrade I'll have to download and install it which will probably mean I'll get the "unable to connect service" error that I've gotten on every version I've installed since 3.06.  I was hoping not to have to do another mb-clean since I lose all my exclusions and scheduled scans and other settings.  There has to be a better way. 

Bill

1 hour ago, BillH99999 said:

That means the next time there is a full version upgrade I'll have to download and install it which will probably mean I'll get the "unable to connect service" error that I've gotten on every version I've installed since 3.06.

If you have program updates turned off you will not get the installer auto downloaded and you will have nothing to delete.

But you really should consider that clean install even if you have to redo settings. It does not take long to put in new settings.

What I meant was that even with the program updates turned on, I will just be notified of the new release and I will have to download and install it which means I will get the error I get every time I download and install over a previous version.  So... I'll have to use mb-clean which wipes out all my exclusions, scheduled scans, and other settings.  

I agree it isn't the end of the world, but it does mean I have to keep a list of all my exclusions, scheduled scans, and other settings so I can re-input them.  MB should really allow me to export and import these, at least the exclusions and scheduled-scans. 

Thanks,
Bill

28 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

I will just be notified of the new release and I will have to download and install it which means I will get the error I get every time I download and install over a previous version.

I personally have not waited for the update notification. So I cant say.

@dcollins

Thanks for the reply.  I'm happy enough to just wait until smaller updates get installed automatically which doesn't seem to cause any problems.  Next time there is a full version update I'll see what happens, but that may be awhile.

At this point I'd really just like to see MB have better support for keeping settings, especially exclusions and scheduled scans.  It is crazy to have to keep all these written down so they can be re-entered every time mb-clean is run.  Maybe an option in mb-clean to maintain them?  Maybe an option in MB itself to export and import them.  Any chance of anything being done to improve the situation?

Thanks,
Bill