Incredibly perplexing browser redirect - God level expert needed

• 3 weeks later...

Hello:

I had completely uninstalled all things Google and after a while of using Firefox which doesn't run well on my computer, I eventually reinstalled Google Chrome from an older version I had backed up a few years ago. It was a fresh install this time, but I'm still having the same problem.

I ran Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and it came back completely negative. 

I don't have anything synced. The version of chrome I just installed is many years old and does not have a sync option, and my Google account is not synced to anything or monitoring my web activity in any way. I rarely even sign into it.

• Root Admin

As I've demonstrated - this is a setting in Chrome that causes redirects. It's not an infection really. It's a bogus setting within in Chrome. Unfortunately Chrome does not allow 3rd party applications to access and remove certain settings. You need to either find that setting yourself and remove it, or go through the removal of Chrome again.

Attached is a pdf with a screenshot of all of my Google Chrome settings. They are all factory default with the exception of the "send do not track request". I have no exceptions to any of the setting and the plugins are all factory plugins and they are as follows...

Widevine Content Decryption Module - Version: 1.4.8.903

Enables Widevine licenses for playback of HTML audio/video content. (version: 1.4.8.903)

Name:Widevine Content Decryption Module

Description:Enables Widevine licenses for playback of HTML audio/video content. (version: 1.4.8.903)

Version:1.4.8.903

Chrome PDF Viewer (2 files)
Name: Chrome PDF Viewer
Version:  
Location: chrome-extension://mhjfbmdgcfjbbpaeojofohoefgiehjai/
Type: BROWSER PLUGIN
  Disable
MIME types:
MIME type Description File extensions
application/pdf  
.pdf
Name: Chrome PDF Viewer

Native Client
Name: Native Client
Version:  
Location: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\49.0.2623.112\internal-nacl-plugin
Type: PPAPI (in-process)
  Disable
MIME types:
application/x-nacl Native Client Executable
application/x-pnacl Portable Native Client Executable
Disable  Always allowed to run
Adobe Flash Player - Version: 21.0.0.213
Shockwave Flash 21.0 r0
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 21.0 r0
Version: 21.0.0.213
Location: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
  Disable
MIME types:
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
.swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
.spl
Disable  Always allowed to run

Firefox was always factory default settings. The "Internet" settings in the Windows control panel seems to be exclusively for MS Internet Explorer.

chrome_settings.pdf

• Root Admin

I'm sorry but I just don't know where the setting is inside Chrome. If you uninstall Chrome and use other browsers this redirect does not happen. That 100% proves it's due to some setting inside of Chrome.

You can try to contact Google Support and see if they can assist you further with this issue as it is a setting issue within Chrome, otherwise other browsers would have the same issue if it was because of the main computer.

The redirect does not only happen with Google Chrome. It happens with Mozilla Firefox as well, and another individual with the same problem has reported it happening with Safari. 

When this issue first began, I only had Google Chrome, and a very old version of MS Internet Explorer which I never used as it was too old to use. After the redirects began, I had downloaded Mozilla Firefox, and deleted Google Chrome. The redirects continued to occur and because a different browser didn't solve the issue, and Firefox does not run well on my system, I re-installed Google Chrome. Under your direction I then deleted Google Chrome and everything associated with Google from my system and was using Firefox exclusively. After a while of that, I eventually did a clean install of Google Chrome again. I get the problem on both Firefox and Chrome, and on both very old versions I have backups of and new versions downloaded directly from the Mozilla and Google Chrome websites.

• Root Admin

Okay, since the scanning tools are not finding a reason for it let's reset your router.

Please review the following website and read it before continuing and then do a Hard Reset back to Factory Defaults for your router.
This information is only for resetting the router DO NOT erase, install, or update the firmware, just reset your router to factory defaults.

Reset And Reboot

Hard reset or 30/30/30

Then, reset your Firefox browser. I'd say to reset Chrome but there is no easy way to reset Chrome so we'll ignore Chrome for now and go back to Firefox.

Reset Internet Explorer
How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Reset Firefox
Click on Help / Troubleshooting Information then click on the Reset Firefox button.

Then start Firefox and browse the Internet and let me know if it is still redirecting or not.

Thanks

Ron

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, despite following all of the steps you have suggested, I am still having the same problem, only the redirect path has changed.

Most recently I was redirected from Yahoo to

https://volumtrk3.solidcpm.com/296488347.js?pubid=rightmedia&domain=www.yahoo.com&t=AAJZXUVHcHJ1b3cBAl1JX1FueXVudAQGQEhCU3J%2Bf3NxFHY6

Which attempted to redirect me elsewhere but this redirect failed and I ended up at Google so I imagine the URL it was trying to redirect me to had expired.