Runtime error 49:120 certificate issue?

I have just uninstalled the MBAM v2.2 something, using clean-2.3.0.1001.exe, as MBAM had the bug where it could not update itself to v3 via the normal update process. Before uninstalling, I deactivated the licence key (lifetime licence). This was on my backup laptop. It was the exact same drill as I had to use on my main laptop, some weeks back. That had installed without problem.

However, when I came to run the installer mb3-setup-consumer-3.1.2.1733-1.0.122-1.0.1976.exe on this second laptop, the error message occurs: Runtime Error (at 49:120): Could not call proc. This is repeatable across boot-ups. So I cannot install MBAM.

I have read two separate threads about this error, on this forum. They do not help me. There are no untrusted certificates or anything on this laptop.

Any assistance would be gratefully accepted, as I am stumped at this point.

Regards, S.

Hello @alvin6 and :welcome:

The Malwarebytes' developers/staffers/helpers must have good log data for a quality fault analysis to commence.

1) From the locked/pinned topics, at the beginning of this sub-forum, please follow the steps within the topic at Having problems using Malwarebytes? Please follow these steps

2) In the next reply to your topic, please only attach the three (3) separate files that are developed above: mb-check-results.zip, FRST.txt, and Addition.txt.

3) Since you may have not already done so by now, please consider selecting the "Follow" button, near the upper-right corner of your topic, to receive timely notifications regarding replies.

Thank you.

Hello@1PW and thankyou for the response.

As explained and following on from above:

• (a) I have already expunged MBAM v2.x from the 2nd laptop in question, using Malwarebytes' own tool designed for that purpose - clean-2.3.0.1001.exe.
  • (b) MBAM v2.x had to be expunged as it was stuck at the point where it could not (had been unable to, for weeks/months) update itself to MBAM v3.x.
  • (c) This inability to update is apparently a common bug, and the workaround is to use the clean-2.3.0.1001.exe. tool to expunge MBAM v2.x. This is what I did. This was an identical situation to another (the 1st) laptop that I had earlier worked on.
  • (d) On the 1st laptop, MBAM v3.x installed without a hitch, once the v2.x had been thus expunged.
  • (e) However, on this 2nd laptop, MBAM v3.x cannot seem to install and the install repeatedly and consistently fails with the same  error message.
  • (f) The error message is: Runtime Error (at 49:120): Could not call proc.
  • (g) I followed 2 separate threads in the Malwarebytes forum which discussed this error. One that offered hope suggested checking for and deleting untrusted certificates as a fix - which I did, but there were no such certificates.

So the problem is not a problem related to the use of MBAM, but a problem in that MBAM v3.x will not install, after expunging MBAM v2.x. So the steps that you suggest to be followed (per link above) would seem to be redundant/irrelevant to this case.

Hope this makes sense and is of use.

I shall now scour this forum for threads that discuss failure to install. Maybe that will produce some joy. I wondered whether MBAM v2.x may have left some redundant hooks in the Registry, even after being expunged, and whether that could possibly be causing a problem. However CCleaner Pro has not managed to clean any such redundant hooks out.

@Slartibartfarst

The logs that were requested are what we REALLY need, please.

• Create and obtain an mb-check log
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area
  • Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Attach both of these logs to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the files to the attachment area

Please consider selecting the "Follow/Following" button, near the upper-right corner of your topic, to receive timely email notifications about updates to your topic.

• 4 months later...

Hello @Porthos. Thanks for your comment. Sorry for the belated response. I downloaded the mbam-check app and ran it. I have also run the latest version again today. I found nothing untoward in the scan logs, so this remains as an unsolved problem/bug in the installer. I am NOT about to send the logs to a third party as the laptop in question is a backup to my high-security laptop.

Interestingly the high security laptop is now experiencing a similar bug. It is running v3.0.6.1469 and has been nagging for ages to press the "Install" button for a "new and improved version of Malwarebytes", but, whenever I do that it cannot proceed due to:

Runtime Error (at 79:120):
Could not call proc.

Looks like an installation script error message. I had read on another forum that this may have been due to using a RAMdrive for the \TEMP folder, but when I restored C:\TEMP the same result ensued.

Now I am in the predicament where several of my clients - whom I recommended that they use Malwarebytes - are experiencing the same problem and I am unable to help them. Malwarebytes meanwhile publishes nothing on its news blog as a fix for this (what appears to be) common problem.
Is anyone able to advise of the procedure for requesting a refund of licence for MBAM? It's evidently a dead loss if it is unable to be supported, going forwards (e.g., ironically, can't even install its own update when it is apparently running OK). With this new unresolved bug and the one posted above, I really have had a gutsfull of this software and now am regretting and having to be apologetic for having recommended it on my blog far and wide. and especially to friends and clients alike.

Sorry to seem negative, but (for myself and many other users that I know of) MBAM has turned out to be nothing but trouble for the last 10 months - and this is additional to the thing's performance becoming intolerable - e.g., it is sometimes a monstrous memory hog, and regularly seems to clog up the I/O buses with 3 and 4Mb/sec throughput binges.

Quite frankly, this forum also seems to have declined in terms of usefulness, with some respondents making dogmatic and defensive statements about classic bugs, whilst being unable to offer any explanation or help whatsoever. I used to set up help desks for HP in Australasia, and they would have been mortified by such nonsense, if it came from their personnel or user groups (which latter they monitored closely). This is apparently an MBAM user forum though, and the respondents are not necessarily MBAM personnel, but the indicators are that MBAM should probably consider taking more responsibility/ownership for the quality of content and support. It's not a good look, anyway.

• Root Admin

Hello @Slartibartfarst

Since you're not willing to allow us to assist you there isn't much I can say or do to fix it. If you do change your mind please let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Yes, there was a bug in the installer from a previous build but a download and install from the latest installer should fix that.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3/

If your sure you'd like a refund, then our eCommerce partner Cleverbridge handles any issues relating to your refund.

Thank you

Ron

Quote: Ron Lewis - Posted Saturday at 06:02 PM
Since you're not willing to allow us to assist you there isn't much I can say or do to fix it. If you do change your mind please let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist you.
Yes, there was a bug in the installer from a previous build but a download and install from the latest installer should fix that.
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3/
If your sure you'd like a refund, then our eCommerce partner Cleverbridge handles any issues relating to your refund.
Thank you
Ron
Ron Lewis - Forum Community Manager
/End Quote.

Slartibartfarst response:
Hello Ron,
Many thanks for your prompt response, and for the link to the download file. That leads to  file: mb3-setup-consumer-3.0.6.1469.exe
I did download that same file (same CRC hash as well) back in Jan 2017, and, according to my notes at the time, it came up with the error:
---------------------------
Runtime Error (at 14:76):
Could not call proc.

(Looked like an installation script error.)
I tried it again just now and the same error ensued, so that is consistent, at any rate.
But since then I have tried successive versions (in vain hope that the problem would have been fixed) the last being in Sep. 2017: mb3-setup-consumer-3.2.2.2018.exe

The latter  gave error: (As already described in the thread above.)

Runtime Error (at 79:120):
Could not call proc.

It still gives this error. This error (looks like an installation script error) is consistently reproducible. Furthermore, reverting the RAMdisk \Temp directory to C:\ does not seem to be a workaround. (I tried that without even knowing whether it was a real workaround to this common problem, as described in the thread above.)

It would seem to be a non-sequitur to say (as you do) that , "Since you're not willing to allow us to assist you..."

I would very much appreciate constructive and useful help/assistance, (without any implicit defensive and/or arrogantly offensive overtones please).

Thus, my first questions would be:

• (a) What is the script that is failing (a copy would be helpful if you are not familiar with the script).
  • (b) What is happening at line 79:120 ?
  • (c) What is failing at that point, and why?
  • (d) What remedial action (from experience) is usually recommended as being required to avoid that failure? 

Thanks, in anticipation of your helpful reply.

Regards,

S.

• Root Admin
36 minutes ago, Slartibartfarst said:

Slartibartfarst response:
Hello Ron,
Many thanks for your prompt response, and for the link to the download file. That leads to  file: mb3-setup-consumer-3.0.6.1469.exe

Please check your DNS settings and/or possibly try using Google Public DNS. Not sure how you're getting that download as it's very old.

The latest version download should come back as:  mb3-setup-consumer-3.2.2.2029-1.0.212-1.0.2951.exe

I can zip and attach if you like, but perhaps we should find out which site you actually downloading from so that we can check on our end why it's supplying an older installation file.

From a command prompt you can type the following:

nslookup    downloads.malwarebytes.com

That should tell us which server you're getting the file from.

In my case:

Name:    e4280.g.akamaiedge.net
Address:  23.45.184.46
Aliases:  downloads.malwarebytes.com
          public.malwarebytes.edgekey.net

nslookup   23.45.184.46

Name:    a23-45-184-46.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com
Address:  23.45.184.46

Edited by AdvancedSetup
fix typo

Hello Ron,
Thankyou very much for taking the trouble to reply.
However, though I am well-used to acting as a ß-tester for software developers, I do not have the time to test the download links that you provide for MBAM versions.
If you wish me to download a particular (or the latest) version, then please provide the relevant/correct download link.
The latest I previously had was (as per above discussion thread): mbam-setup-3.2.2.2018 - mb3-setup-consumer-3.2.2.2018.exe
The latest available via the main MBAm site would seem to be:
   https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/mb3-setup-consumer/mb3-setup-consumer-3.2.2.2029-1.0.212-1.0.2951.exe
 - i.e., same version as you refer to in your response.
NB: This is using ramdrive temp path variable R:\TEMP - not sure whether that is relevant (as above).

Executing that file gives the error:
Runtime Error (at 351:120):
Could not call proc.

So this is something new, at least, and which brings me back to the 4 questions - (a) to (d) - as above.
Nudge: Any response to those 4 questions?

• (a) What is the script that is failing (a copy would be helpful if you are not familiar with the script).
  • (b) What is happening at line 79:120 ? (now apparently 351:120)
  • (c) What is failing at that point, and why?
  • (d) What remedial action (from experience) is usually recommended as being required to avoid that failure? 

You can probably now begin to appreciate why I had pretty much lost confidence in the MBAM installer, though I still think of the software as having been an excellent product (despite the described memory and I/O-hogging problems, which I saw as temporary setbacks), prior to this installation nonsense becoming manifest. I really would like to continue using it, but it seems to be stuck, currently unable to update beyond:
Version Information

• Malwarebyces version: 3.0.6.1469
  • Component package version: 1.0.103
  • Update package version: 1.0.3021

Please pass me on to your Level 3 support if you are unable to assist with this MBAM installation problem. (Is that the correct way to request re-prioritisation?)

Thanks again.
Regards,

S.

• Root Admin

Thanks @Slartibartfarst but you said our link was giving you an older version: mb3-setup-consumer-3.0.6.1469.exe

I simply asked for information to find out why that would be. If you're getting the correct file mb3-setup-consumer-3.2.2.2029-1.0.212-1.0.2951.exe

Then everything is okay.

If you're using a RAM drive, then yes. That is an issue. The installer does not support the use of a RAM drive. But that has been true for a long time now, so it should have been an issue for you before as well.

If you temporarily boot without the RAM drive and install Malwarebytes it should install just fine. Then you can re-enable it and reboot again.

Thank you again

Ron