Pop ups that appear and nearly instantly disappear

• Root Admin

Hello @ecksdee and :welcome:

Let me get some logs to see if we can see what's going on.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Most likely this is a recent issue with Office. Can you please perform the following steps:

1. Press Windows Key + R to bring up a run dialog
  2. In the box, type Taskschd.msc and click Ok
  3. In the Window that pops up, on the left side, open the following folders:
    Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Office
  4. Look for a task on the right side named OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration
  5. Right click the task and choose Properties
  6. Under Security Options, the first box should say "When running the task, use the following user account:". Just below that should be a user, it most likely says Users
  7. If so, that's the issue. There are plenty of proposed solutions you can find to fix this online (such as changing the user account or disabling the task), but unless this is impacting the usability of your computer, I would leave the task as is until Microsoft fixes it. Disabling the task could have unintended consequences for your Office programs, and changing the user to a different one could open your computer up to security risks.

9 hours ago, dcollins said:

Most likely this is a recent issue with Office

FWIW, I understand there is a patch out for this, but I haven't found it. Maybe a forced update of MO will do it. I modified the task to run daily (the default is hourly, indefinitely).