Malware Downloading EXE Files - How To Stop?

Briefly:  I was infected with the malware I noted in this thread (grupter.exe and reg_win_5018.exe):

Both have since been added to the database and MB took care of them.  However, I'm still getting the two .EXE files back in the windows folder after being online for a few minutes and they're back to doing their thing.  Run the scan, MB removes then, after less than 5 minutes, the files are back.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

This only happens when I'm online; shutting off wifi prevents the files from respawning.

So. . . either another file or infected file is downloading these files from online somewhere or being online sends a signal to a file on my computer to respawn those naughy .EXE files. 

Windows Defender, HijackThis (nothing amiss in that report), Spybot, MB and F-Prot can't find the file that's causing the respawn.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

Hello rushpage and welcome to Malwarebytes,

My screen name is kevinf80, i`m here to help clean up your system. Make sure to run all scans from accounts with Administrator status, continue as follows please:

Anyone other than the original starter of this thread please DO NOT follow the instructions and advice posted as replies here, my help and advice is NOT related to your system and will probably cause more harm than good...

Change the download folder setting in the Default Browser only. so all of the tools we may use are saved to the Desktop:

user posted imageGoogle Chrome - Click the "Customize and control Google Chrome" button in the upper right-corner of the browser. user posted image
Choose Settings. at the bottom of the screen click the
"Show advanced settings..." link. Scroll down to find the Downloads section and click the Change... button. Select your desktop and click OK.

user posted imageMozilla Firefox - Click the "Open Menu" button in the upper right-corner of the browser. user posted image Choose Options. In the downloads section, click the Browse button, click on the Desktop folder and the click the "Select Folder" button. Click OK to get out of the Options menu.

user posted imageInternet Explorer - Click the Tools menu in the upper right-corner of the browser. user posted image Select View downloads. Select the Options link in the lower left of the window. Click Browse and select the Desktop and then choose the Select Folder button. Click OK to get out of the download options screen and then click Close to get out of the View Downloads screen.
NOTE: IE8 Does not support changing download locations in this manner. You will need to download the tool(s) to the default folder, usually Downloads, then copy them to the desktop.

user posted imageChange default download folder location in Edge -Boot to a user account with admin status, select start > file explorer > right click on "Downloads" folder and select "Properties"

In the new window select "Location" tab > clear the text field box and type in or copy/paste %userprofile%\Desktop > select "Apply" then "OK"

Be aware you are not changing the Browser download folder location, you are changing the user’s download directory location.....

Next,

Follow the instructions in the following link to show hidden files:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Next,

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Alternative download option: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6731-farbar-recovery-scan-tool.html

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

Be aware FRST must be run from an account with Administrator status...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach that log to your reply.

Let me see those logs...

Thank you,

Kevin..

Thanks for those logs, continue with the following:

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into. "Do not open that file"
NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Open FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Next,

Open Malwarebytes, select > "settings" > "protection tab"

Scroll down to "Scan Options" ensure Scan for Rootkits and Scan within Archives are both on....

Go back to "DashBoard" select the Blue "Scan Now" tab......

When the scan completes deal with any found entries... Then select "Export Summary" then "Text File (*.txt)" name that log and save , you can copy or attach that to your reply...

Next,

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.

Or from this Mirror

• Double click on Adwcleaner.exe to run the tool
  • Click on the Scan in the Actions box
  • Please wait fot the scan to finish..
  • When "Waiting for action.Please uncheck elements you want to keep" shows in top line..
  • Click on the Cleaning box.
  • Next click OK on the "Closing Programs" pop up box.
  • Click OK on the Information box & again OK to allow the necessary reboot
  • After restart the AdwCleaner(C*)-Notepad log will appear, please copy/paste it in your next reply. Where * is the number relative to list of scans completed...

Next,

user posted imageEmsisoft Emergency Kit
  • Click Here to download Emsisoft Emergency Kit. The download will automatically start after a moment.
  • Save EmsisoftEmergencyKit.exe to your Desktop.
  • Double click on EmsisoftEmergencyKit.exe (Windows Vista/7/8/10 users: Accept UAC warning if it is enabled). A screen like this will appear:
    user posted image

• Leave everything as it is, then click Extract. This will unpack Emsisoft Emergency Kit to the EEK folder located in the root drive (usually C:\).
  • Once the extraction is done, an icon will appear on your Desktop. Double click it to start Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
    user posted image

• Wait for Emsisoft Emergency Kit to finish loading signatures. A screen like this should appear:
    user posted image

• Choose Yes, then wait for EEK to finish updating.
  • Choose Malware Scan under the Scan button. When EEK asks to activate PUP detection, choose Yes.
  • Wait for the scan to finish.
    user posted image

• If EEK detects something, all detected items will be displayed. Place a checkmark before everything, then choose Quarantine Selected.
  • If Emsisoft Emergency Kit asks to reboot, please do so immediately.
  • The scan log is located in Logs -> Scan Logs. Click on the entry of the latest scan, choose Export and save the report on your Desktop.
    user posted image

• Please Copy and Paste the contents of the scan log in your next reply.

Let me see those logs, also tell me if there are any remaining issues or concerns...

Thank you,

Kevin....

fixlist.txt

I got as far as the AdwCleaner step.  Upon the suggested restart, the computer hung up.  Waited nearly 5 minutes before forcing restart, in case it was working in the background.  Same issue.  Tried several more times, even using the Dell utilities (it's an Alienware).  No dice.

Ran CHKDSK on infected disk via my other rig.  This got the infected disc bootable once again, but several items were botched (right click, start menu, some associations, etc.).

Took at as on opportunity to upgrade my SSD and start fresh.  No data lost in the end as I kept the other drive.

Thanks for your assistance.

Edited by rushpage

7 minutes ago, kevinf80 said:

I assume you made a fresh install of Windows, occasionally a fresh start is the best and quickest way forward... Thanks for letting me know..

Regards,

Kevin...

Yes, all new and improved.  At least the upside is it loads now in about 10 seconds as opposed to 30 - gotta love fresh installs!

• 2 months later...
  • Root Admin

We're sorry. It looks like your topic was somehow overlooked. Due to the length of time we'll go ahead and close this topic now but if you still actually need help please send a private message to one of the Moderators and we'll assist you.Thank you and sorry we missed your topic.