Web protection not blocking a site that it should be

@Porthos I found all the sys files on my 32bit machine and added them to the list of my KIS exclusions. I also added the Program folders of Malwarebytes to that list. I rebooted my machine and went to hxxp://www.raxco.com/  again. Well, same results. Malwarebytes did NOT block this website. I also excluded the Kaspersky folder in Malwarebytes but, of course, this doesn't help either.

Malwarebytes is definitely a keeper, and your support is really great, but I will have to remove Malwarebytes if it doesn't work here.:(

Edited by Buddel

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kaspersky users

Are there any Kaspersky users here who can reproduce the Web Protection problem described in this thread? I'm just curious to know whether it's just me who can't get Web Protection to work properly or whether Malwarebytes and Kaspersky are not compatible with each other.

Here is a website for testing purposes: hxxp://www.raxco.com/

This website should be blocked by Malwarebytes. If it isn't, Web Protection does not work for you, either.

Thanks in advance for testing.

Edited by Buddel

I also tried MS Edge - same problem, so it's not browser-related.

OpenVPN is part of the Kaspersky Security Suite (bundled software). It's some kind of a trial version. It is always disabled unless you manually enable it. It is never enabled here, so it is not a VPN issue, either.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

8 hours ago, Buddel said:

Malwarebytes is definitely a keeper, and your support is really great, but I will have to remove Malwarebytes if it doesn't work here.:(

Even if the web blocker is not working I would still keep MB if I were in your shoes. Sooner or later with the help of members like you staff and Dev's will get to the bottom of this. 

Just now, Porthos said:

Even if the web blocker is not working I would still keep MB if I were in your shoes.

No! I'm really strict here. If security software (or any other software) does not work as expected/advertised, it will be removed.

• Staff

I'm with Porthos.  Not only that, but frankly our web protection is not the most valuable component in Malwarebytes.  While it is great, it's nowhere near as effective as our behavioral/signature-less components for protection such as our Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware components, both of which should still be working, not to mention our Malware Protection component.  So even if Web Protection isn't working right now, you've still got several other layers in Malwarebytes offering protection to prevent threats from infiltrating your PC.  And especially since you've also got Kaspersky, you should still be pretty safe online.

Sorry, but if this Malwarebytes Web Protection issue cannot be fixed, Malwarebytes will  be removed. There is no other option for me. I am just not willing to use real-time security software that does not do its job properly (due to incompatibilities or for any other reason not known to me). Maybe I will keep Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner, but its real-time modules will be disabled here if this issue cannot be fixed permanently. Sorry to be so strict here.

Edited by Buddel

Thank you very much for your kind words, @exile360 I uninstalled Malwarebytes an hour ago due to the incompatibility issues described above. I will keep an eye on this thread and on the development of Malwarebytes. I'm sure this issue will be corrected sooner or later, and I'll definitely be back as soon as Malwarebytes is one hundred per cent compatible with Kaspersky products. Until then, take all good care of yourselves. You guys rock!:)

• Staff

Thanks, you too :)

And just for info, I did document this case and will ensure that this gets tested before each release to verify that web protection is fully functional/working as it should be.  My concern is that since your installation showed no obvious signs of problems and we stumbled upon this problem quite by accident, that other users may also be having the same problem and not realize it, believing they're fully protected when they are not.  We have to ensure that doesn't happen.

Due to the fact that Malwarebytes is currently not installed on my machine, I felt the need to modify my KIS settings earlier today (in fact, I'm still "playing" with the settings a bit). Unfortunately, I don't have the original settings any more which I used when Malwarebytes was installed. I'm currently using standard "maximum" settings for KIS.

Edit. Please note that Malwarebytes Web Protection did not properly work even without KIS. I tried to access a website with the top level domain .top, which should be blocked by Malwarebytes, but this website was not blocked. So I could easily access a site that should have been blocked by Malwarebytes. Something's not quite right with the Web Protection module (in addition to the incompatibility with KIS).

Edited by Buddel

43 minutes ago, Buddel said:

I tried to access a website with the top level domain .top, which should be blocked by Malwarebytes,

Still waiting for a response from the web people on if the whole domain is still blocked. It might not be. I can reach the main site here

http://www.nic.top/en/

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, dcollins said:

We've been able to replicate the Kaspersky issue when Kaspersky is set to high protection mode. We are currently reproducing the .top issue and are researching it, we'll follow up when we have more information.

Sounds good! Thanks for the info. I have always used high protection mode with a couple of individual settings for Kaspersky. Anyway, good to know that you can replicate the Kaspersky issue now. Well done!

14 minutes ago, Buddel said:

Speaking of settings, I think it would be a great feature for Malwarebytes to implement an option to import and export settings.:rolleyes:

It has been requested in the past. There are working on current issues before they add new features. -_-

Edited by Porthos

• Staff

Nice work Buddel, you single-handedly exposed and assisted us in replicating (and therefor getting that much closer to fixing) 2 potentially major bugs in our protection.  Thank you so much for sticking with us and providing our team with the info and insight required to help us to make our product better :) !

On 26/05/2017 at 7:18 PM, Buddel said:

@Kaspersky users

Are there any Kaspersky users here who can reproduce the Web Protection problem described in this thread? I'm just curious to know whether it's just me who can't get Web Protection to work properly or whether Malwarebytes and Kaspersky are not compatible with each other.

Here is a website for testing purposes: hxxp://www.raxco.com/

This website should be blocked by Malwarebytes. If it isn't, Web Protection does not work for you, either.

Thanks in advance for testing.

I am not a Kaspersky User,

I use Avast Premier alongside MBAM Premium and i am having identical issues to you. I have started my own thread on this problem.