Web protection not blocking a site that it should be

Could you send me a couple of links to blocked websites or "dummy" links, so that I can test Web Protection? As mentioned above, iptest.malwarebytes.com is being blocked by Malwarebytes here, but others are not.

Edited by Buddel

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

These are the sure shot ones. You did mention you turned off Kaspersky. Did that mean Kaspersky Internet Security or Kaspersky secure connection or both?

Can you try turning off the Kaspersky Secure connection and going to the sites to see if MWB throws a block?

I turned off the entire security suite of Kaspersky, which should include secure connection.

BTW I just tried to reach a .top domain (hxxps://de.bio.top), which should be blocked by Malwarebytes, but it wasn't. Again, Web Protection didn't work.

One more thing regarding the secure connection. You only get some MB free per day. If you want to use it, you have to turn it on. Otherwise, secure connection is turned off and doesn't do anything.

Edited by Buddel

• Staff

When I check your MB-Check-Results.zip it is incomplete. Usually it grabs the config files and other stuff but on your system it did not grab anything. Got an inkling here product is not in the right state,

Lets try one thing here. Run MB-Clean but do not reboot. 

Run MBAM check and send me the result: https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_check

11 minutes ago, nikhils said:

Hang onto Kaspersky for now.

Too late. I uninstalled KIS a couple of minutes ago. And here is my NEW test result: hxxp://www.raxco.com/ is being blocked by Malwarebytes!

Consequently, there seems to be a compatibility issue between KIS and Malwarebytes. So what am I supposed to do now? I feel sort of "naked" without KIS, and I'm not willing to go online without it. I do hope you can fix this issue between KIS and Malwarebytes.

For the sake of completeness, I will upload a fresh MB-Check-Results.zip. Let's see if it is complete when Kaspersky is not installed on my machine.

mb-check-results.zip

Edited by Buddel

• Staff

That is Interesting.

Well you can have both installed on your system and add mutual exclusions for both software.

Lets try this . Reinstall Kaspersky and then  add the following Malwarebytes files/folders to the Kaspersky exclusions list:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

Also please exclude the following folders too: (The complete folder)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService

Once you do that can you repeat the same test and see what happens.

And here is another test. If I'm not mistaken, the top level domain .top is still being blocked by Malwarebytes.

Consequently, the website hxxps://de.bio.top/ should also be blocked. Despite the fact that Kaspersky is currently not installed on my machine, Malwarebytes does NOT block this .top website. So Web Protection still doesn't work as expected here. Good to know that hxxp://www.raxco.com/ ,but blocked top level domains are still being ignored by Malwarebytes. So even without KIS running on my machine, Web Protection doesn't work.

And here is another test. If I'm not mistaken, the top level domain .top is still being blocked by Malwarebytes.

Consequently, the website hxxps://de.bio.top/ should also be blocked. Despite the fact that Kaspersky is currently not installed on my machine, Malwarebytes does NOT block this .top website. So Web Protection still doesn't work as expected here. Good to know that hxxp://www.raxco.com/ ,but blocked top level domains are still being ignored by Malwarebytes. So even without KIS running on my machine, Web Protection doesn't work.

Consequently, the website hxxps://de.bio.top/ should also be blocked. Despite the fact that Kaspersky is currently not installed on my machine, Malwarebytes does NOT block this .top website. So Web Protection still doesn't work as expected here. Good to know that hxxp://www.raxco.com/ gets blocked ,but blocked top level domains are still being ignored by Malwarebytes. So even without KIS running on my machine, Web Protection doesn't work.

Edited by Buddel

I reinstalled the latest version of Malwarebytes on top of the current version that's running on my machine. As expected, this didn't help either, same results:

hxxp://www.raxco.com/ is being blocked, whereas the .top website mentioned above can be accessed. Due to the fact that Web Protection does not work even now that KIS is not running here, I am now going to reinstall Kaspersky. I do hope you will be able to fix this incompatibility issue between Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, If not, well, I guess I will have to remove Malwarebytes from machine because there is no point in using a security app that doesn't work (at least it doesn't work here).

Have you added exclusions to Kaspersky?

If you use add an exclusion, you should be able to type in the full paths manually as I've outlined below. 

58e6bc9ed3e03_ScreenShot2017-04-06at3_08_05PM.png.f9a2b58cd33b652743f62338793e62c2.png

This should allow you to add all the paths in sysnative as well as the Malwarebytes folder

58e6bca198ee5_ScreenShot2017-04-06at3_08_31PM.png.a72969351270aec538e2b58c1eaf0566.png

If it lets you copy and paste here are the file paths.

C:\Windows\Sysnative\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\Windows\Sysnative\drivers\mbae64.sys

C:\Windows\Sysnative\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys

C:\Windows\Sysnative\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys

C:\Windows\Sysnative\drivers\mwac.sys

C:\Windows\Sysnative\drivers\farflt.sys

The exclusions you mentioned above do not exist here because I have a 32bit machine. So far, I only excluded the Malwarebytes folder found in C:\ Programme Files. So what exactly should I exclude in Kaspersky? I don't think this will make a difference because the problems I have with Malwarebytes could not be fixed even after uninstalling KIS.

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:
38 minutes ago, Buddel said:

Consequently, the website hxxps://de.bio.top/ should also be blocked.

Not blocked for me. Might have been unblocked.

Interesting. I thought all .top websites are currently being blocked by Malwarebytes. Hm...

5 minutes ago, Buddel said:

The exclusions you mentioned above do not exist here because I have a 32bit machine. So far, I only excluded the Malwarebytes folder found in C:\ Programme Files. So what exactly should I exclude in Kaspersky? I don't think this will make a difference because the problems I have with Malwarebytes could not be fixed even after uninstalling KIS.

Interesting. I thought all .top websites are currently being blocked by Malwarebytes. Hm...

@Dashke Are all the .top sites still blocked? Or is now down to Domain only blocks.

Edited by Porthos