"contact license" and "contact update" server error messages

I did a new install of Malwarebytes version 3.1.2.1733-1.0.122-1.0.1976 because when I tried to do it over top my current version 3.0.6.1469-10103 it failed.  After the installation, I keep getting pop up messages:

Network Connection
Unable to contact license server. Check your network connection or contact your system administrator for help.

Also:

Network Error
Unable to contact update server.  Please check your Internet connection.

I'm assuming this is occurring when the software is trying to update when I'm not connected to the internet.  I never had this problem before installing 3.0.6.1469-10103.  I also do not stay online all of the time either.  Attached is a screen capture of the message boxes that keep appearing when I am offline.  Also a screen capture of my version.

2017-05-23 (1).png

2017-05-23 (3).png

Sorry to hear your having issues.

Let's try this first.... (It is recommended that you de-activate your Malwarebytes first before un-installing or using the clean removal tool - the tool can only backup the license info for MB3 so if you have MBAM v1 or v2 you have to de-activate it manually)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-claen tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.1.2.1733 ) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: mb-check-results.zip, FRST.txt, Addition.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.1.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

1 minute ago, Firefox said:

Let's try this first.... (It is recommended that you de-activate your Malwarebytes first before un-installing or using the clean removal tool - the tool can only backup the license info for MB3 so if you have MBAM v1 or v2 you have to de-activate it manually)

I tried to deactivate the previous version (3.1.2.1733-1.0.122-1.0.1976) prior to installing the updated version only the program would not load even after rebooting so I was unable to access the program to deactivate.  I had just updated my old version online when I noticed I was using an older version than what was now available.  I didn't know there was a new version and wondered why my MBAM was not updating itself.  There are no previous versions of MBAM installed and this computer was reformatted recently so there wouldn't be any traces of earlier versions.

I have reinstalled the same version of MBAM before if I forget to deactivate it.  Since it wouldn't let me open the program I had hoped it would work again, but I was getting other error messages so I decided to do an uninstall then checked the usual folders to see if any artifacts were left behind.  There were no Malwarebytes folders to manually delete, but I know sometimes there are.

1 minute ago, Firefox said:
  1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-claen tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.1.2.1733 ) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: mb-check-results.zip, FRST.txt, Addition.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.1.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Thank You,

Firefox

I will download and try it.  I thought about using this tool only I couldn't find where I saved it.  I've always been cautious having my computer unprotected to install MBAM again.  I prefer to download it then go offline to install, but it seems to want to be connected during install.  This is a terrible idea.  I usually activate the program after it is installed so I have some protection.

37 minutes ago, wboswell said:

I also do not stay online all of the time either.

37 minutes ago, wboswell said:

I never had this problem before installing 3.0.6.1469-10103.  

FYI. MB (default settings) checks for updates every hour. Also by default, it will warn if updates are more than 24 hours old.  The warnings in your screenshot are normal if you are not online all the time.

Edited by Porthos

35 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FYI. MB (default settings) checks for updates every hour. Also by default, it will warn if updates are more than 24 hours old.  The warnings in your screenshot are normal if you are not online all the time.

I always change the default settings.  I think I have checking for updates set for every two hours and old updates to 6 or 8 hours.  It is set to scan three times a day, but many times doesn't get the chance because this computer doesn't stay online all day.

I don't think the warnings in my screenshot are normal.  I never got them before when I was offline.  After doing an MB-Clean, I tested it both on and offline and didn't get the message.  Something must have gotten corrupt.  With Windows 10 I'm not surprised which is why I frequently restore my system when a bad update is installed.  My other laptop rarely goes online except to update MBAM and I only do it because I frequently use the same files on both and there could be a rare chance a file might be infected and MBAM would have old definitions.  With all of these ransomware attacks I don't need the same problems I had last year with malware.

1 hour ago, Firefox said:

Thank You,

Firefox

The Clean tool got rid of the problem.  Thank you for the link.  Hopefully no more problems with this.