Real time protection will not start

It turned itself off and I get a warning on screen that I am not fully protected. I launch Malwarebytes and try to turn it on. It says Starting ...

and hangs. Sigh. I suppose I got this same kind of message before, but can't find the thread (the search function on this forum isn't exactly Google-like). I hope this time when I fix it, I don't get the BSOD Bad Pool Header errors again.

I found the other thread - 29 PAGES of "ME TOO" and no solution! Why am I paying for a tool I cannot use. I went months with the Real Time Protection turned off because it caused a blue screen of death Bad Pool Header. I waited a couple of months, and then found that there was a tool do a clean install (not as a response to my thread) and did that 10 days ago. I had 10 days of protection and now I can't use it again. That's a really poor reliability rate.

I am hoping that somebody reads this and has an answer. I read through the other 29 pages in the now-closed discussion. I hope I don't have to read though another 29 pages to get nowhere.