Product Support by Email

For the licensed version of Malwarebytes, after having the same issues on multiple PCs as reported by others here recently (auto-updates stopping, protections turning off) and having done all the suggested fixes found in this forum to no effect, I submitted a support request by email on May 16 with all the MB-Check and FRST diagnostic files attached.  The support response time was four days (on 5/20).  Apparently one of the zip uploads became corrupted, and so the support response requested that I resend, which I did the same day, followed by additional files the next day when another installation of Malwarebytes on another PC began malfunctioning the same way.  I have not heard anything back yet.  The Malwarebytes icons in the system trays continue to display a red triangle, and frequent orange pop-up notifications continue to report the problem status.  The support case number is 1341582.

Are these lengthy four-day support response times normal?

Due to the broken update that went out last Friday, our support times have increased while we respond to those tickets. That being said, you can always post the information here and we can try to troubleshoot.

I looked up your ticket, and for starters, I would recommend using mb-clean to fully remove the installed version of Malwarebytes and re-install the latest version. Your databases are corrupted and for some reason are failing to download. This should trigger a new fresh download with hopefully cleaner bases to build from.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

Thanks for the reply Devin.  I did the MB-Clean and reinstall already; that was among the first things tried.  My support request of last Tuesday (5/16) explains:

"Attempting to fix the problem, I tried the following without success:
1.  Install MB 3.1.2.1733 over the existing installation of 3.0.6.
2.  Uninstall MB 3.0.6, then install 3.1.2.1733.
3.  Run MB-Clean, then install 3.1.2.1733 again.

Opening a browser to https://keystone.mwbsys.com/ results in an "OK".

I also deleted all database files, attempting to force a full database update, to no effect.  Since then, the current install on one PC is a MB-Clean + 3.1.2.1733 reinstall, and on the other PC it's a install of 3.1.2.1733 over 3.06.  in both cases, the result is the same; Both installations fail to update, some protections turn off after a reboot, and both system tray icons have red triangles.

Hello @WildBlue

Sorry to hear you are still experiencing issues.

Can we try a few things. Can you please try running the new MB 3.1.2.1733 installer over the existing product? (You might have 3.1.2.1733 installed, run the installer over it again)

If that still does not solve the problem  can you please attach the Addition.txt, FRST.txt and MB-Check results to this post.

Thank you

The solution to this "unable to update" problem is to add the following URL to the firewall DPI-SSL exclude (allow) list:  cdn.mwbsys.com

I happened to discover this URL when searching the "mbamservice.log" for error events related to the updating process.  When troubleshooting Malwarebytes communication errors in these forums, it is typically only sirius.mwbsys.com and keystone.mwbsys.com mentioned as necessary URLs.  But there is one more needed to accomplish updates - cdn.mwbsys.com.

Everyone on these forums so generously assisting with troubleshooting, as part of your standard response to anyone with "unable to update" issues, please consider addressing the firewall configuration requirements, and mention a list of all URLs necessary for Malwarebytes communications.  That would have solved my problem immediately, with no MB-Clean or reinstalls needed.

Thanks to all who responded.

Edited by WildBlue