Avira Antivir

Was a serious statement - I logged out for a while (daughter came round) and it took two and a half hours to get back on ?? -

This is not something I would joke about - I ran MBAM quick and full - Spybot - SAS quick and full - (I have been scanned flat out) -

Avira did it's midday (local) thing -

Compare the times from 'silly' reply to 'sorry' reply - Less half hour -

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not ISP - Downloaded updates for all antivirus that I scanned - Plus accessed other sites to make sure -

Changed to F/fox and Safari incase it was an I.E. problem -

Appears all OK now thanks -

It was MBAM site that blocked me - Not I.E. -

Got to logon for MBAM forum logon and then got message -

I was thinking it could've been some server that's sitting between malwarebytes.org and your PC, I've had it happen before as I said. All other sites loaded for me fine and MBAM even updated normally, but that's because it uses different servers in different locations to download updates.

Anyway, as long as it's working now that's all that matters ;) .

I was thinking it could've been some server that's sitting between malwarebytes.org and your PC, I've had it happen before as I said. All other sites loaded for me fine and MBAM even updated normally, but that's because it uses different servers in different locations to download updates.

Anyway, as long as it's working now that's all that matters ;) .

Hi

No worries, I've got a sense of humor :D . I'm not easily offended either, even when someone is actually trying to do so (which I know you weren't ;) ).

He lies. I can piss him off everytime I talk to him. It was probably a server problem between your ISP and MBAM. I have the same issue with another forum, unfortunatly for me it happens a couple of times a week.

exile360 - you stole my avatar

@kvwslh: Yes, Kaspersky is my favorite AV, but I disagree slightly on the free ones :D . I like Avira and Avast, AVG is my last choice for free av's. And how dare you defile the red x ;) .

I definitely agreed with exile on this one... #1 Avira, #2 Avast, #3 AVG when free AVGs are concerned. I've witnessed AVG's poor detection rate first hand. Sounds like Microsoft Security Essentials may be pretty good when it comes out of beta.

I definitely agreed with exile on this one... #1 Avira, #2 Avast, #3 AVG when free AVGs are concerned. I've witnessed AVG's poor detection rate first hand. Sounds like Microsoft Security Essentials may be pretty good when it comes out of beta.

AVG is starting to come up in the world. I don't know enough about Avast to form an opinion on their AV, but I know AVG has really dropped the ball over the last several months but their detection rates are starting to catch up with the rest of the industry so hopefully they be able to make a significant come back, but I don't think they'll ever be a leader.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and I view it as one of my Layered Protection applications as well as WinPatrol as a Security Monitor that will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission:

http://www.winpatrol.com

He lies. I can piss him off everytime I talk to him. It was probably a server problem between your ISP and MBAM. I have the same issue with another forum, unfortunatly for me it happens a couple of times a week.

It must have been the only site on the web (MBAM forum) that was being "blocked" ??- (Thats why I needed to "suck up to him") -

I could download MBAM (I deleted my version in case, Fully) / update it / visited Yahoo forum / visited several other sites including Lunarsoft etc. -

It got to the login screen (the 'old' one) and then said I had put the wrong password too many times - I only could click on the login name and the name (noknojon) came up OK - Even an email (topic notification) from MBAM site would not let me access the site past the 'old' login screen -

Even deleted Taruns latest tool-kit that includes MBAM - They would ALL reinstall quite easily - I have had it only one other time and then I still got in -

It must have been the only site on the web (MBAM forum) that was being "blocked" ??- (Thats why I needed to "suck up to him") -

I could download MBAM (I deleted my version in case, Fully) / update it / visited Yahoo forum / visited several other sites including Lunarsoft etc. -

It got to the login screen (the 'old' one) and then said I had put the wrong password too many times - I only could click on the login name and the name (noknojon) came up OK - Even an email (topic notification) from MBAM site would not let me access the site past the 'old' login screen -

Even deleted Taruns latest tool-kit that includes MBAM - They would ALL reinstall quite easily - I have had it only one other time and then I still got in -

kvwslh was joking, like I said, he's a good friend of mine :P . He was referring to a seperate issue (the same one I suspect you have) where the route to connecting to malwarebytes.org is having issues because of a particular hop the connection is making between your connection and the malwarebytes' server. I hope it's been fixed by now, and I assure you I had absolutely nothing to do with it. If it does happen again just use Tracert to figure out where the connection is getting messed up. Aside from that, I don't know what could cause the issue as only Moderators and Administrators have the ability to block, ban, delete or filter users, not Experts or Trusted Advisors as we're only helpers :) .

Now, back on topic:

@DragonMaster Jay: your ratings overall come very close to how I would grade the various security products as well, Avira is one of the most effective AV's around, free or otherwise.

Good, I'm glad you switched to Avira. In my opinion it's much better protection. I do still use Spybot myself, but only for its Immunization feature. I don't do scans with it or use TeaTimer any more. I haven't used AdAware in ages (not since version 1.06 because after that, they decided an on-demand scanner needed a background service that can't be disabled :P ).

Good, I'm glad you switched to Avira. In my opinion it's much better protection. I do still use Spybot myself, but only for its Immunization feature. I don't do scans with it or use TeaTimer any more. I haven't used AdAware in ages (not since version 1.06 because after that, they decided an on-demand scanner needed a background service that can't be disabled :P ).

Agreed, AdAware has not been in my toolbag for quite some time. I don't use Spybot's real-time protection (Teatimer) anymore either. It was hogging up all of my computer's resources! That's a no-no!

They did? what kind of background service? I do not use it much anymore (once a month like spybot and SAS)

I use MBAM once a week.

Yup, here's info from their forum about the background service. Of course, with the AE version you do get realtime protection so that is more justified, but the background service started with 2007, even in the free version which is only an on-demand scanner. They should've used a driver instead of a service which can be loaded by the scanner when you run it and unloaded when it's done, the same way that MBAM Free does :P .

Thanks Exile360 -

I only added AdAware due to the fact that it had released its Anniversary Edition thinking they may have added a bit more to it -

I thought it was mainly useful for 'small' problems (tracking cookies + advertising cookies etc.) - :P

Now, back on topic:

@DragonMaster Jay: your ratings overall come very close to how I would grade the various security products as well, Avira is one of the most effective AV's around, free or otherwise.

I am continuously testing security software, except now based on actual standards. I am working with a Comodo developer on getting the products tested.

I believe 100% - :huh:

Avira (removed AVG because it missed too much) - Spybot - S A S - MBAM - added AdAware the other day -

I would say that 100% is not possible. Antivirus software can still have one or two issues that do not get addresses. However. Avira keeps up well.