Avira Antivir

Bobc8

is aviras real time protection as good as avast's because avast's protects your email and instant messaging services etc

The free version (Personal) does not... Take a look at a comparison between the different Antivir packages here

The next step up (Premium) does offer e-mail and web protection.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But you are referring to a beta version of avast 5. Not everyone can get their hands on it. What have they changed compared to 4.x if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT

Let me correct myself. Everyone can get it by visiting this page. My apologies! But it is still a beta.

In version 5,avast now has heuristic and a behavior shield which increases the detection rate.The memory usage has also went down.Scan time is also noticeably faster.I believe avast 5 will become the best free av

I'm running the beta on my personal laptop right now. Installed it this evening. The GUI looks very clean. As long as it's light on resources like they promise and the detection rates are as good as Antivir or better, I wouldn't mind using it again long term. I originally had Avast on my desktop before Antivir but there was a bug that kept stealing like 30-50% of my resources for no reason. It was too annoying so I decided to try something different. Haven't been back since.

The developers said in their blog that they had heuristics in 4.x but they didn't market it as such.

http://blog.avast.com/2009/07/20/avast-5-is-coming-soon/

my local store is selling kasperky kis2009 for 15 bucks should i get it or should i stick with avast? personally im not really into kaspersky but maybe i dont know something you guys know?

Kaspersky will generally have better detection rates for newer threats than Avast!, but you also have to understand that it's a bit more complicated to use, especially KIS, as the firewall and HIPS components are very chatty for the most part and you'll have loads of alerts to deal with unless you put it in "learning" or "auto" mode. I'm not real big on software firewalls so the one I use is fairly basic. I love KAV though so if they have it on sale you might go with it. It's heuristics are excellent at detecting unknown threats and it's very light on resources.

Either way you can grab a trial version of KAV or KIS here and test it out (uninstall Avast! first of course) to see if you'd like to switch. They offer 30 days to test each version.

Kaspersky will generally have better detection rates for newer threats than Avast!, but you also have to understand that it's a bit more complicated to use, especially KIS, as the firewall and HIPS components are very chatty for the most part and you'll have loads of alerts to deal with unless you put it in "learning" or "auto" mode. I'm not real big on software firewalls so the one I use is fairly basic. I love KAV though so if they have it on sale you might go with it. It's heuristics are excellent at detecting unknown threats and it's very light on resources.

Either way you can grab a trial version of KAV or KIS here and test it out (uninstall Avast! first of course) to see if you'd like to switch. They offer 30 days to test each version.

ok im going to give it a shot. I was looking at avast's website to find a uninstaller and noticed that avast's professional and avast home are the same thing aren't they? the only difference is avast's professional is for commercial use and avast requires that you pay for commercial use?

ok im going to give it a shot. I was looking at avast's website to find a uninstaller and noticed that avast's professional and avast home are the same thing aren't they? the only difference is avast's professional is for commercial use and avast requires that you pay for commercial use?

They are definitely not the same thing.Check out the link below to see their differences

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-compare-hom...ofessional.html

ok i got it

i heard if you just install 1 lic key then the 2nd and 3rd will have 9 months left if you dont ever use them? is this true?

so if i installed the second one 1 year later i will have 9 months left on the second one? and after 9 months go by i can install the 3rd one for another 9 months?

I don't follow your logic.

The free version can use the same licence on each system so they will expire at the same time but a notice will be presented weeks before asking you to get the new licence:

http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php

The Pro version is licensed to each system so you need to purchase a licence for each system.

The Pro version has additional protection features for the home user not only the business user:

http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php#tpg12 <== click on Learn more about upgrade

By the way, I use the free avast! on Windows 7 as the Pro feature of Script blocking is un-necessary with IE8's Protection Mode.

This applies to Vista as well.

I've got a buddy that swears by Kaspersky. 9 times out of 10 when I call him up he'll tell me about some new feature they've added and let tell you this guy knows what he's talking about. If I wasn't so cheap I'd've bought it by now, but from what I can tell Avira and AVG are the two best AV programs you'll find on the free market.

exile360 - you stole my avatar

@kvwslh: Yes, Kaspersky is my favorite AV, but I disagree slightly on the free ones :o . I like Avira and Avast, AVG is my last choice for free av's. And how dare you defile the red x :D .

I agree about AVG. I use to have it and the detection rate and resource usage were what i really didn't like about it. Avira and Avast if you are going to go free ;)

@kvwslh: Yes, Kaspersky is my favorite AV, but I disagree slightly on the free ones :o . I like Avira and Avast, AVG is my last choice for free av's. And how dare you defile the red x :D .

Change the color of his name and he takes over :o He He -

Sorry exile360 but you left yourself open for that one - I hope it is not held against me in the future - ;)

No worries, I've got a sense of humor :o . I'm not easily offended either, even when someone is actually trying to do so (which I know you weren't ;) ).

I'm sorry if I offended any people (exile360 my good friend) but I have not been able to log in for several hours - :D

I ran all the scans and only Spybot found a Windows problem -(MBAM short and long scans first) -

Has there been an overload or was it my end - I kept getting a wrong log in screen -(Try in 15 mins-Try in 9 mins-Try in 3 mins) -

When I.E. failed I used F/fox / then Safari - All the same - Even a reply to a direct email from here -

Are you serious or are you joking?

It wasn't me I swear as I wasn't offended at all and knew you were joking plus experts don't have the required control that moderators and admins have to block users. I've had no trouble on my end accessing the forum, but I have had issues in the past which I eventually tracked down to being on my ISP. One of their servers wasn't working properly that sits between me and malwarebytes.org so I couldn't reach the site normally, I could do so through an online proxy though, and that's how I initially discovered the problem.

You can try Tracert from a command line and also the Ping command to do the same.

Archived