Protection kept turning off & unable to connect the service

Hello @Imgoinmad

Apologize for your inconvenience. The real time protection  turning off was due to a Database update issue from our end which has been rectified:

To get things working normally again simply open Malwarebytes and click on “Current” next to where it says Updates in 
the Dashboard and it should download and install working databases.

If it is able to successfully update but protection still is not working, then please try right-clicking the Malwarebytes tray icon next to your system clock and select Quit Malwarebytes. 

Open Malwarebytes once again from your START → Programs menu or from the shortcut located on your Desktop.

Let us know if that helped.

You didnt read my whole message, i updated to the most current but it still wasnt turning on those protections and after a reboot, the application is unable to start...with message "Unable to Connect the Service". It no longer gets to a point where there is a tray icon.  Am i to uninstall and reinstall again?   

Edited by Imgoinmad

This morning it's reporting all protections enabled but doesn't seem to want to check for updates. Also when i go into settings under the Application tab, everythign is turned off. It lets me turn on the "Automatically Download and install application component updates" and "notify me when full version updates are available" but once you close the GUI they are not enabled. It also lets me turn on 'Show Malwarebytes notifications in the WIndows System tray" and "Anonymously help fight malware by providing usage and threat statistics" but those also turn off when you close the GUI.  It will *NOT* let me turn on "Show Notifications when Real Time Protection settings are turned off". 

On the "Protection" tab, it will not let me turn on "Automatically check for updates" but will allow me to turn on "Notify me if time since last update exceeds 24 hours" and "Start Malwarebytes at Windows startup" but those both turn off when the GUI is closed.

mb-check-results.zip

Malwarebytes.JPG

It looks like you're getting some permissions errors. For starters, please download mb-clean from the following URL and run it. This will uninstall your current installation and then re-install the latest version, which should resolve the permission issues. If you're still having issues after this, please upload a new mb-check-results log

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_check

This morning it reported all protections enabled but didn't want to check for updates. Also when i go into settings under the Application tab, everything is turned off. It lets me turn on the "Automatically Download and install application component updates" and "notify me when full version updates are available" but once you close the GUI they are not enabled. It also lets me turn on 'Show Malwarebytes notifications in the WIndows System tray" and "Anonymously help fight malware by providing usage and threat statistics" but those also turn off when you close the GUI.  It will *NOT* let me turn on "Show Notifications when Real Time Protection settings are turned off". 

On the "Protection" tab, it will not let me turn on "Automatically check for updates" but will allow me to turn on "Notify me if time since last update exceeds 24 hours" and "Start Malwarebytes at Windows startup" but those both turn off when the GUI is closed.

After reboot the same exact thing, protections all enabled but 'updates not current" and doesn't want to update

We've seen some weird certificate errors recently that may cause issues like this, let's try checking the following

1. Press Windows Key + R to bring up the run dialog
  2. In the dialog window, type certmgr.msc and click Ok
  3. In the window that comes up, on the left side, double click Untrusted Certificates so you can see the folders beneath it
  4. If a Certificate folder exists, click it
  5. Take a screenshot of any items that exist in the right side
  6. Upload the screenshot

Those values are blank because other things are failing, which is actually causing the updates to fail as well.

Can you look in %temp% and grab any files that start with Setup Log and upload them here? This might give us a better indication of why things are failing to load

Ok, still some strange stuff going on. Let's try the the steps below:

1. Download Procmon from https://live.sysinternals.com/procmon.exe
  2. Launch Procmon and accept the EULA
    • If you've ran this tool before, you may get prompted by some filter options. If you do, choose Reset and then Ok
  3. Make sure that information is filling up the window that just came up. There should be a lot of information updating pretty frequently
    • If there's nothing in the screen and it's all white, click the magnifying glass icon near the top and then information should start to show up
  4. Press the Windows key to bring up your Start Menu
  5. Type cmd and the top option should be a black box that says "cmd"
  6. Right click cmd in the start menu and choose Run as Administrator, choose yes in the UAC box that comes up
  7. Type the following command, exactly as entered, with the quotes
    "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe" /service
  8. Nothing will display on the screen, but that's ok
  9. Go back to Procmon and click the magnifying glass at the top to stop capturing
  10. Click the save button to save the procmon log and save it somewhere you can remember
  11. Find the saved log, right click it, and choose Send to -> Compressed (Zipped) folder
  12. Upload the zip file created in step 11 in your reply

Then let's try this as well:

1. Download the attached oleview.zip and extract it
  2. Run the oleview.exe program, and click no on the warning message that comes up
  3. On the left side, find Type Libraries and click the + sign to expand it
  4. Scroll down and look for PoliciesControllerCOMLib on the left side
  5. If it exists, click it once
  6. Take a screenshot of the entire screen and upload it in your reply

Thanks!

Edited by dcollins