Well after this morning version 3.0.6 decided to not start the web protection anymore I thought to myself let's install version 3.1.2 to see if that works...
Uninstalled 3.0.6, run the Clean MBAM setup, Installed 3.1.2. incl. Multiple restarts.
Everything worked fine on version 3.0.6 until this morning...

Nope It does not work.
Trying to run a Scan Threat, Hyper or Custom.
Results in a 2-15 Second Scan in which Malwarebytes is only "Checking for Updates" and stops without scanning anything.
Operating system is Windows 10 Pro x64 Creators Update.

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 5/19/17
Scan Time: 12:12 PM
Log File: 
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Version: 3.1.2.1733
Components Version: 1.0.122
Update Package Version: 1.0.1973
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: XXXXXXXXXXX

-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Cancelled
Objects Scanned: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Threats Detected: 0
Threats Quarantined: 0
Time Elapsed: 0 min, 1 sec

-Scan Options-
Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

-Scan Details-
Process: 0

Module: 0

Registry Key: 0

Registry Value: 0

Registry Data: 0

Data Stream: 0

Folder: 0

File: 0

Physical Sector: 0

(end)
Edited by CryCel

Same issue here. 9-15 second scan time only for updates yet claims it scanned everything. Also notification from Windows 10 Pro 64 that "Real-Time Protection layers turned off". Will not turn on. Hoping it was a Windows Update that screwed us and NOT a virus/malware.

Yep, same here. I manually updated (not like the auto updater ever works..) from 3.06 to 3.1.2 after the issue manifested this morning; also to no avail.

Its odd that it has kicked in this morning, my last windows update (creators) was the cumulative on the 10th so nothing seems to have come down today to stop web protection starting. Unless something in today's windows defender definitions update has done it.

Same problem here on two machines. Both run Windows 10, but one is a custom built desktop and the other an Asus laptop. Laptop is using the latest MB version, while the desktop is on 3.0.6. Neither of them will now permit web protection to be enabled nor will a scan actually scan anything (just starts and then dies around the 4 - 10 second mark). On the laptop I have:

Uninstalled MB.

Rebooted

Run the MB Clean tool

Rebooted

Reinstalled MB.

Rebooted.

This does NOT solve the issue (I have now done this three times). I do notice that the MBClean utility doesn't seem able to find the registry components for MB, so on the last attempt I manually went through the registry and deleted all that I could find related to MalwareBytes, but it's possible that I missed something important. However I suspect that nothing I will do can fix this, and that something in the recent Win10 Creators update may have borked MalwareBytes. It seems a lot of people are starting to have this issue suddenly, and it only went live recently... and for me I only noticed it after the Creators Update went live as well.

Please fix as soon as possible as, even though the software might be doing it's job in general, I still feel vulnerable knowing that something somewhere is not right.

Edited by TheNocturne

So they admit that this is affecting all of their customer base.  In that case, they need to escalate this problem.  Given the prevalence of the "WannaCry" Ransomware [and it's variants] we cannot have our MalwareBytes [Advertised as a "Complete Solution"] to be down for any period of time.

• Administrators

Glad to hear we got you up and running @CryCel!

For anyone stumbling onto this thread later: this web protection issue has been resolved. Head here for more info: 

If you are still having issues after performing the above, please click here to create a new post, provide details of what you are seeing, and one of our experts can assist one-on-one. 

Thank you,
Cecile

Edited by celee
  • celee locked this topic