Web Protection won't turn on

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same here. Not only will web protection refuse to start, Malwarebytes severely cripples Chrome to the point where it is unusable. I have removed Malwarebytes for now as it's pretty much useless ATM. I've been a Malwarebytes user for a number of years and it's been mostly ok (had Chrome issues) and when I first installed 3.0.6 premium (2 days ago), it worked fine; web protection was working and scans were all good. Since a reboot of my laptop, it's all gone wrong.

Hopefully, there's a quick fix

19 minutes ago, dpexx said:

I was having the same problem and running the installer again while i already had the program installed seems to have fixed it!
I was so worried, web protection wasn't turning on & my scans were being cancelled straight away, i'm sure this is a bug as a-lot of people are having this issue atm.
It's now saying that my version isn't up to date even when i check for updates.....

I just tested this out and it also worked for me. Though after doing it it does say it's Updates are not current, but it will scan and I can turn on web protection. So that's a lot better then before, but still something is wrong with the updates. 

I have the same problem since yesterday.

Moreover, the threat scan cancels itself after one second.  

Here are some screenshots and all logs attached: 

CZ9qms.jpg

QBkCHA.jpg

I must add that after updating to version 3.1.2, Ransomware Protection and Web Protection did not turn on.

I used https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean to clean install MBAM. Removed  MBAM with its built in uninstaller then used the mb_clean tool and Ransomware and Web Protection stayed turned on without a problem until yesterday. Everyone please follow the instructions in the following forum thread  It will help tremendously in rectifying this recurring problem hopefully once and for all: 

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

mb-check-results.zip

Shortcut.txt

Edited by SafetyPlanet

im not going to get rude but i want to point out this is happening to me as well.  ive tried the steps in previous threads from months ago where it seemed to be a problem with some users. now it sounds like thousands of people are having this same problem today...needless to say i have uninstalled, reinstalled. i thought it may have been a widnows 7 compatibility problem but it seems this is troubling people across all microsoft products.

there has been a lot of suggestions in the past like disabling rootkit scans, disabling self protection, and other silly things. it doesnt work, and this seems to be a problem with many users even before today. its just that today seems to be a severe case where this has afflicted everybody...i hope it has nothing to do with the recent threats ive been hearing about in the news...

For the first time on my Win 7 64-bit machine, this just happened to me.

It's been a nightmare using MWB on Win 10, but that's another issue.

I checked for updates, didn't need any, and decided to try and manually scan. It DID scan OK, but did so very fast. I hit the SCAN button while Web Protection was "starting".

When the scan finished (clean), the web protection turned itself back on. I had also hit the TURN ON box in the yellow popup box several times, too.

Windows 10 users:

This issue is caused by the Windows 10 Creator's Update.  This "update" forces use of Windows Defender Security Center and there is a load of scuttle on the web about how to fix this.  You'll also notice that the link to your control panel is missing (right click start button and behold...gone).

However, the easiest fix is to roll back your Windows 10 PC to it's previous version (thereby scrapping the Creator's "update").  You'll have to uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes to get things back to normal.

2 minutes ago, Pcomm said:

Windows 10 users:

This issue is caused by the Windows 10 Creator's Update.  This "update" forces use of Windows Defender Security Center and there is a load of scuttle on the web about how to fix this.  You'll also notice that the link to your control panel is missing (right click start button and behold...gone).

However, the easiest fix is to roll back your Windows 10 PC to it's previous version (thereby scrapping the Creator's "update").  You'll have to uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes to get things back to normal.

Well, it may be so, but I don't have the Creator's update installed, and I suppose I'm not the only one among the "me too" guys reporting here:-)

So I think there must be some other problem

6 minutes ago, Pcomm said:

Windows 10 users:

no... my control button is still there

It looks like the issue is officially fixed: 

It works for me as well. Press on Updates "current" blue link, wait for the green line to finish loading, quit malwarebytes by right clicking in the system tray, select "Quit Malwarebytes" and then launch Malwarebytes from the start menu or desktop shortcut, if it does not work, enable self protection module early start in Application Settings, restart the computer and everything should work fine. IF it still does not work, start a new topic in the forum.

5 minutes ago, Pcomm said:

Windows 10 users:

I have 2 computers with MWB one has the problem with the control panel missing and MWB works fine. The other has the control panel and is not working properly so that doesn't really work in my case.

37 minutes ago, bygmester said:

Not sure how this may help but -

We have several systems at various levels of updates and installs.  Some have this problem, some do NOT.  We have narrowed the issue to the Update Package Version Number (found under Settings>About) . 

Versions numbers 1.0.19xx thru 1.0.1975 have this issue.  Version 1.0.0000 does not, which is why new installs and clean re-installs work.

Version #1976 fixes this. So do this:

1)  Run a new Manual Update by clicking on Updates: Current

2) Go to Settings>Protection and turn everything ON.  The Web Protection will get stuck on STARTING......  (ignore this)

3) Right click on the Malwarebytes icon in the Notifications area of the Task Bar and select Quit.

4) Restart the Malwarebytes program and verify all Protections are on now.  (Some systems require a reboot).

1 minute ago, bigcsabi said:

OK, guys, it seems to work again!

What the hell was that...???

For those who are curious, the cause of protection and scans not functioning is that for some unknown reason Malwarebytes 3 is downloading 0Kb size database files (our malware detection signature files and web block list files).  Since the files are empty, there is no information for those components to read and load so those components stop functioning until proper databases get downloaded from our update servers. Only 64 bit versions of Windows were affected:  

7 minutes ago, SafetyPlanet said:

It looks like the issue is officially fixed: 

It works for me as well. Press on Updates "current" blue link, wait for the green line to finish loading, quit malwarebytes by right clicking in the system tray, select "Quit Malwarebytes" and then launch Malwarebytes from the start menu or desktop shortcut, if it does not work, enable self protection module early start in Application Settings, restart the computer and everything should work fine. IF it still does not work, start a new topic in the forum.

That looks to have worked for me currently.

Will see how it goes! thanks for mentioning it here.

• celee locked this topic