AyeAyeCaptain

Why can't MBAM 3.0.6 update to version 3.1.2

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Why can't my MBAM 3.0.6 (premium trial) update to version 3.1.2?

What if I manually install MBAM 3.1.2 without uninstalling MBAM 3.0.6 first (just "overwrite" it)?

Edited by AyeAyeCaptain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having the identical problem. I have 3, identical HP desktop computers (all Win-10 Pro) that I check for MB updates every morning. 2 of them are at 3.1.2.1733. The 3rd is at 3.0.6.1469 & seems to stay behind the other two on every update, no matter what I do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThreeLakesJim said:

Having the identical problem. I have 3, identical HP desktop computers (all Win-10 Pro) that I check for MB updates every morning. 2 of them are at 3.1.2.1733. The 3rd is at 3.0.6.1469 & seems to stay behind the other two on every update, no matter what I do. 

I have had this problem since MBAM 2.2.1 which can't update automatically to MBAM 3.0.6 couple months ago.

I need to install MBAM 3.0.6 manually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Firefox   

Program updates are metered as to not cause a burden on the update servers, eventually you will be given the choice to update the program.  That being said, you can simply download the installer and install over your existing version.

You can download the installer from the main site or simply click THIS LINK HERE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Program updates are metered as to not cause a burden on the update servers, eventually you will be given the choice to update the program.  That being said, you can simply download the installer and install over your existing version.

You can download the installer from the main site or simply click THIS LINK HERE.

Thanks for reply.

One more question: What if I overwrite the existing MBAM installation with the new version (without uninstalling the old one)?

Would it cause problems later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Firefox   
Posted (edited)

Most folks install right over the existing version and have no issues...  Installing over the existing version replaces the version that is currently installed.  If there are any issues you would simply run the Malwarebytes cleanup tool and it would take care of it.

Below are the steps for the cleanup tool

NOTE: It is recommended that you de-activate your Malwarebytes first before un-installing or using the clean removal tool - the tool can only backup the license info for MB3 so if you have MBAM v1 or v2 you have to de-activate it manually

  1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-claen tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.1.2.1733 ) to re-install from HERE)
  2. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.1.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions


Please let us know how it goes.


Thank You,

Firefox

Edited by Firefox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Firefox said:

Most folks install right over the existing version and have no issues...  Installing over the existing version replaces the version that is currently installed.  If there are any issues you would simply run the Malwarebytes cleanup tool and it would take care of it.

Below are the steps for the cleanup tool

NOTE: It is recommended that you de-activate your Malwarebytes first before un-installing or using the clean removal tool - the tool can only backup the license info for MB3 so if you have MBAM v1 or v2 you have to de-activate it manually

  1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-claen tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.1.2.1733 ) to re-install from HERE)
  2. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.1.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions


Please let us know how it goes.


Thank You,

Firefox

1. Uninstalled MBAM

2. Run mb-clean, then restart.

3. Downloaded the newest version of MBAM and installed it.

4. Updated MBAM definitions successfully.

Done! Thanks for your guide, Firefox!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Firefox   

Your welcome, glad it all worked for you....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Digerati   
2 hours ago, Firefox said:

Program updates are metered as to not cause a burden on the update servers, eventually you will be given the choice to update the program.  That being said, you can simply download the installer and install over your existing version.

You can download the installer from the main site or simply click THIS LINK HERE.

I accept that updates need to be metered to avoid swamping servers. But it has now been 8 days since V3.1 was released for consumer consumption!!!!

But more importantly, when I manually ask 3.0.6 to check for updates, either from the system tray applet or from the "Dashboard", it reports I am "Current". I'm NOT current!!! :(

If I go to the Settings > Application tab and click on "Install Application Updates", it reports "No updates are available". That is NOT TRUE!!! :angry:

I find this very frustrating knowing a major upgrade for my security program is available, but I'm stuck sitting in an out-of-date status and I cannot update it unless I manually go out to the Malwarebytes website and click on the readily available update. :angry:  An update I would not know about if I did not subscribe to this forum.

I know for a fact, most Malwarebytes users have no clue V3.1 is available, more than a week after it came out of beta. That's not right!

If metering is still needed 8 days after release, Malwarebytes needs to expand their update distribution network - perhaps adding a mirrored server (or two or three) on the other side of the globe from their primary distribution network to handle more paying customers in all time zones 24/7.

We (as technical and security advisers) hammer into the heads of our clients (and friends and families) to keep our operating systems and security apps current. This essential user discipline has been even more illustrated this last week with the WannaCry ransomware threat. And yet, our Malwarebytes application will not let us update Malwarebytes to the most current version or even inform us an update is available! :(.  An update which, by the way, fixes issues with the Ransomeware Protection feature of Malwarebytes. :(:angry:

I've been a very long time user and supporter of MBAM (since my early CastleCops days when I knew several of the Malwarebytes founders). Without exaggeration, I have probably recommended MBAM over 1000s times to posters and clients. But the premature MB3.0 roll-out fiasco and subsequent problems and excessive delays trying to fix the issues that should have been fixed BEFORE MB3.0 was pushed out the door before the holidays has really tarnished Malwarebytes. I have not been recommending MB3.x. :(

I have been REALLY happy with 3.0.6 with no problems in several weeks. But not being able to update to 3.1 from within the program, knowing a major version update has been available for over a week (especially in the middle of a major global ransomware crisis) is not helping to restore the stellar image Malwarebytes had with MBAM prior to MB3.0, or my willingness to readily recommend it. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcollins   

Our update process in 3.0 is way better than what we had with 2.x, even with our metering in place. Database updates come out multiple times a day and users get those as soon as they do a check, we only meter our Component Updates (larger background updates) and our Application Updates (the ones where you have to click on the installer to install). Staying on 3.0.6 is perfectly fine for most people and they are protected (even from WannaCry), and when they get the 3.1.2 upgrade, it allows them to upgrade when they are ready. For users who want the latest updates immediately, we make them available for a download.

A lot of software stages it's rollouts like this to help handle support requests or try to catch issues that may arise. Your phone does this, Windows does this, and lots of other security vendors do this. If we found a giant flaw in 3.0.6 that left people vulnerable, we would do our best to get more users onto the latest version as soon as possible. But in most cases, letting the upgrades come naturally works best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Digerati   

Thanks for your reply and of course, the logic makes sense - though I note the explanation given earlier was to prevent a burden (basically a self-induced DDoS) on the servers - not to prevent swamping tech support and to help detect bugs that made it through beta.

My concern is this is now 8 days and on this, my main computer, when I ask MB3.0.6 to check for application updates, it is still telling me "No updates are available". It does not seem to me you would still be awash with tech support requests - especially if your 3.1 beta test period was long enough. And from reports I am hearing, and with what I am seeing on my other systems is that 3.1 is working great. So MB3.0.6 is, in effect, blocking my efforts to get current. :(

20 minutes ago, dcollins said:

But in most cases, letting the upgrades come naturally works best.

Fair enough. But then how long should users be expected to wait for the upgrades to "come naturally"? 8+ days does not feel "natural" to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcollins   

We actually identified a potential issue with the 3.1.2 installer that we are working on resolving, so the metering for 3.1.2 is really low right now. It's hard to say how long the updates will take, because it depends on how many upgrades we offer hourly/daily/etc. We can change that value at any time when we're comfortable with how the rollout is going

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Digerati   

Thanks.

I've been raising these concerns because I'm a hardware tech and I try to keep this, my main computer, as most of my clients keep theirs in terms of Windows and security configurations. I've recommended MBAM to most of my clients (and friends and family) for years. I bought licenses for all my family and most of my friends and clients bought licenses too. So like them, I wait for the updates to come to me on this machine. But unlike most if them, I know this 3.1 is out there, yet keep wondering when I will be offered it.

At the same time, I spent 24+ years in the military so I know very well how to "hurry up and wait". ;) So that's what I'll do, and advise them to do the same if they ask.

Quote

We actually identified a potential issue with the 3.1.2 installer that we are working on resolving, so the metering for 3.1.2 is really low right now.

I appreciate this insight. If possible, at least for those following this thread, it would be nice to know when things are back to normal.

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have to say I am in the same camp as Digerati.  I have MBam on at least 100 PCs and have recommended it hundreds, if not thousands of times over the years.  When I use the product to clean an infected machine, I try to push the purchase right then to continue the protection and prevent future ones.  That said, I sometimes get the sale through my portal, other times they just go and purchase it directly. 

That means I have had dozens of calls recently regarding the pop-ups and the upgrade to the newer version that does not work.  I do not have the hours required to log into my customer's systems and manually uninstall, clean and reinstall the program, especially if there are reboots required.  I recommended the program (and still do) therefor, in their eyes, I am responsible.  Without sounding greedy, I do not have the hours required to do this and I will not be compensated for my time either.

We REALLY need this issue to be resolved!  I recommend FIXING the installer issues and then (even if it is only for cases like this bad release) silently PUSHING the upgrade to the PCs.

Please reply and let us know what is going on.

This image is after 3 unsuccessful attempts at updating at different times and rebooting in between.

MBAM.jpg

Edited by Marshall K
grammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

New update.  I downloaded 3.1.2.1733-1.0.141 onto my server to redistribute it via network share.  Yesterday I tried running it on my server.  It froze, and when I shut down (via power button as the system was unresponsive) and rebooted my NEW DELL T630,running Server 2012R2, it booted but It still said there was an upgrade available. I then uninstalled MBAM in the hopes of reinstalling it.  During this process it too froze and I had to hard reboot again.  When the Server tried to restart after uninstalling, it  would not boot up.  It took me 3+ hours with Dell to get the 100% fine system to boot properly. I have never had this type of problem on this server with any installation.

As a test I just tried to do the same on my test bed PC.  It took over 7 minutes to start the install routine.  Once started, all functionality was halted on this WIN7 Pro PC too.  The actual installation took over 5 minutes, pausing and locking the system each time it paused. After all this time, it popped up and told me to reboot.  On the reboot MBAM it seemed to have installed correctly.

I have literally installed MS Office 2016 Pro faster. 

In all fairness, WHENEVER Microsoft beats anyone in speed of installation/upgrade, it is NOT a good reflection on the programming of the beaten product!

 

MBAM2.jpg

Edited by Marshall K
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Firefox   
2 hours ago, Marshall K said:

New update.  I downloaded 3.1.2.1733-1.0.141 onto my server to redistribute it via network share.  Yesterday I tried running it on my server.  It froze, and when I shut down (via power button as the system was unresponsive) and rebooted my NEW DELL T630,running Server 2012R2, it booted but It still said there was an upgrade available. I then uninstalled MBAM in the hopes of reinstalling it.  During this process it too froze and I had to hard reboot again.  When the Server tried to restart after uninstalling, it  would not boot up.  It took me 3+ hours with Dell to get the 100% fine system to boot properly. I have never had this type of problem on this server with any installation.

Sorry to hear your having issues with Malwarebytes... for the record Malwarebytes is not designed to run on a windows Server.  They do have a business version that perhaps could run on a file server but for your inquires it would be best to post in the Business Section HERE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate that, but the point was the uninstall hosed parts of the OS.  In addition it is giving me a lot of problems on the Win7 & Win10 front also.  The first post said I downloaded it to a network share on my server.  I then tried to install it on a few different computers as they were not updating correctly and it did not work on 3 or 4 machines.  Said there was an update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcollins   

That's very strange about the OS issues, and while it's not supported I don't believe we've run into any serious issues like that during our testing. That being said, we don't do a lot of testing on unsupported operating systems because, well, they're unsupported.

As for your issues, if you happen to have any of the setup logs (usually stored in %TEMP% as Setup Log - *****) that would help us greatly in trying see if there's a bigger issue here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Re: New update.  I downloaded 3.1.2.1733-1.0.141 onto my server

Where or how do you get the latest version of Malwarebytes Premium ?

I have the same problem but I cannot get the latest version to run the update manually.

 

On 6/17/2017 at 7:01 AM, Marshall K said:

New update.  I downloaded 3.1.2.1733-1.0.141 onto my server to redistribute it via network share.  Yesterday I tried running it on my server.  It froze, and when I shut down (via power button as the system was unresponsive) and rebooted my NEW DELL T630,running Server 2012R2, it booted but It still said there was an upgrade available. I then uninstalled MBAM in the hopes of reinstalling it.  During this process it too froze and I had to hard reboot again.  When the Server tried to restart after uninstalling, it  would not boot up.  It took me 3+ hours with Dell to get the 100% fine system to boot properly. I have never had this type of problem on this server with any installation.

As a test I just tried to do the same on my test bed PC.  It took over 7 minutes to start the install routine.  Once started, all functionality was halted on this WIN7 Pro PC too.  The actual installation took over 5 minutes, pausing and locking the system each time it paused. After all this time, it popped up and told me to reboot.  On the reboot MBAM it seemed to have installed correctly.

I have literally installed MS Office 2016 Pro faster. 

In all fairness, WHENEVER Microsoft beats anyone in speed of installation/upgrade, it is NOT a good reflection on the programming of the beaten product!

 

MBAM2.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a link for the consumer product. When I do that it lets me download an executable but then it shows me the message below.

image.png.d87827e1126e0e7c508fe03f915cb720.png

If I click Yes, it takes me to the web site. I cannot find a link to the update. 

image.thumb.png.8e78a553c1a8b466fcc73d0adef94b90.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcollins   

If you want Malwarebytes for your server, you will need to contact our sales department on that page (or use the trial to see if it will suit your needs). The consumer version of MB3 will not install on servers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not understand why I need to contact Sales Dept. I already purchased the license. My current version 3.0.6 is licensed. My license expires in Mar 2019.

What will Sales do for me? I already bought the product. I just need an update so that I am protected with the latest version and also the message at the right bottom of the screen goes away

 

39 minutes ago, dcollins said:

If you want Malwarebytes for your server, you will need to contact our sales department on that page (or use the trial to see if it will suit your needs). The consumer version of MB3 will not install on servers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcollins   

@rerquiaga1 you purchased a license for the consumer version, which is not supported on server. It may have installed in the past, but it's not a supported environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What product is the equivalent product for servers ? I see several products in the business page

5 minutes ago, dcollins said:

@rerquiaga1 you purchased a license for the consumer version, which is not supported on server. It may have installed in the past, but it's not a supported environment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.