An "administrator" blocks installation or launching of virus combating softwares after being infected

Recently I made a stupid mistake and it resulted in my computer being infected by some malware/virus that has planted down some bitcoin miners. Playing video games was impossible because of drastic frame drops and using an virus scanner (I forgot how it was called because it was late at night and I was tired) it mentioned the name "bitcoinminer" or similar.

Anyways, I managed to remove these miners to some extend, I can only guess, but one big problem hasn't been solved yet. This virus has somehow modified the administrator and blocked many popular anti-virus softwares or tools from lauching. Typical message: "An Administrator has prevented this program from launching...". It happens when I want to launch tdssskiller, JRT, adwcleaner and even the installation of mbam 3. Though I did manage to install Chameleon and remove the malwares. A re-scan has showed that my computer is clean, though I am not sure yet. I also tried to install mbam 3 using hidden admin profile but it gave me a runtime error.

So, what can I do to fix this "administrator" problem?

System: Windows 10 (64bit) Pro

DSC_0257.JPG

DSC_0258.JPG

DSC_0259.JPG

Hello CDK9 and welcome to Malwarebytes,

Check for and delete untrusted root CA certificates:

• Select Windows key and R key together,,
  • In the Run dialog box type MMC, and then click OK.
  • The Microsoft Management Console (MMC) appears.
  • In the MMC, on the Console menu, click File then Add/Remove Snap-in....
  • In the Add or Remove Snap-in dialog box, click Certificates, and then click Add.
  • In the Certificates snap-in dialog box, click My User Account, and then click Finish.
  • click OK on Add or Remove Snap ins.
  • Expand the Certificates Current User node by double click
  • Expand UnTrusted Certification by double click
  • Double Click Certificates Trust List.
  • The details pane appears, showing all of the root CA certificates that are currently untrusted.

If there an untrusted Certificates listed for Malwarebytes or any other Security Programs delete them.... Let me know the outcome...

Thank you,

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

everything works like normal again. I can install Malwarebytes 3 without problems and it's running now (including the other tools I've mentioned before). Thank you very much for that fast support.

Kind regards,

cdk9

• 2 weeks later...