No, you don't need to download it again.  The problem these users were having was that .ISO files were associated with WinRAR meaning they looked and acted like archives instead of disc images.  Just open WinRAR if you have it installed and change the setting I mentioned above and as soon as you hit OK the ISO file should have a different icon and you should then be able to burn the disc image rather than having WinRAR open the disc image's contents.

You can tell if this is the problem by looking at the copy of Kai Linux you downloaded.  If it looks something like the image below then that means .iso files are associated with WinRAR and you need to change that setting I mentioned above:

archive.png.3c66e815536a8f9d45c8cdb370e58a7d.png

Once it's changed the .ISO file should look something like this:

ISO.png.01b4143c3fe0d137a04a614ed586d8ef.png

• 5 weeks later...

I have download the kali from its official site. It downloaded in zip file. while I want to burn in pendrive but it required iso file ..but I didn't get iso file ..please how to make the iso file form zip file ...?

On 8/24/2018 at 12:11 PM, exile360 said:

No, you don't need to download it again.  The problem these users were having was that .ISO files were associated with WinRAR meaning they looked and acted like archives instead of disc images.  Just open WinRAR if you have it installed and change the setting I mentioned above and as soon as you hit OK the ISO file should have a different icon and you should then be able to burn the disc image rather than having WinRAR open the disc image's contents.

You can tell if this is the problem by looking at the copy of Kai Linux you downloaded.  If it looks something like the image below then that means .iso files are associated with WinRAR and you need to change that setting I mentioned above:

archive.png.3c66e815536a8f9d45c8cdb370e58a7d.png

Once it's changed the .ISO file should look something like this:

ISO.png.01b4143c3fe0d137a04a614ed586d8ef.png

Its not working for me..please any others solution..or Ideas

If you extract the files from the ZIP file you should be able to create an ISO using a tool such as PowerISO (the free trial should work as long as the size of the ISO is 300MB or less) or IsoCreator.  Using either tool you should be able to convert the extracted files into an ISO disc image then burn the ISO to a CD to install Linux.

• 10 months later...

Hi guys 
exlie360 helped as well for solve this problem
If it confused you and you did not get that
I'll give you an easier way to solve this problem
All things you have to do is Uninstall Winrar when you want choose .iso file for your installation 
After uninstalling WinRar you can see the icon of iso file you have downloaded will be like this picture https://cutt.ly/cwwaJ6j
(Like a Compact Disk)
Then choose your iso file for installation and after that download winrar and install it if you need that for extract other files
Goodluck 😉

If you want to skip the step of uninstalling WinRAR every time, you can simply open WinRAR and click on Settings and select the Integration tab then uncheck the box next to ISO under Associate WinRAR with then click OK and that will unassociate WinRAR with ISO files so that they appear and work as they normally would as disc images in Windows for opening and burning, and you can still open an ISO file with WinRAR by right-clicking on it and selecting Open with WinRAR so you can still view and extract or edit its contents using WinRAR without losing those default Windows viewing and burning functions.

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

You also do not need to extract it or burn to USB or DVD. Both VMware and Virtualbox can both install Kali Linux directly from a path referenced to the ISO image where you downloaded it to or saved it to.

Yep, that's true because they support mounting ISO files as virtual CD/DVD-ROM drives, so no burning is necessary for use in a VM.  Instructions on creating a VM and booting it from an ISO to install an OS can be found here.  I'm sure there are similar instructions for VMWare out there somewhere as well; I just pulled up the page for VirtualBox as that's the VM software I'm personally more familiar with as I've used it many times in the past.

• 8 months later...

Download it from kali linux official site 32bit installer file but is shows in form of winrar format and when go throw vmware workstation it shows that select appropriate software. 

What can i do please help me out. 

Greetings,

Following the instructions found here should correct the issue for you.  The problem is that ISO files are associated with WinRAR I suspect, which causes ISO files not to function as disc images since WinRAR treats them like archives (similar to ZIP files).

Please let us know if that fixes the issue or not.

Thanks

Hello @Ssb

Is your computer running Windows or Linux already? The information below assumes you're running Windows.

Is it x86 32-bit or is it x86 64-bit ?

Most of the links are for Torrernt but you can get an ISO directly

x86  64-bit (right click and choose Save-As or Save Link As) select a folder to save the file to. Once the download has completed you can point VMware or VirtualBox to that ISO image to use for creating the virtual machine. 
https://cdimage.kali.org/kali-weekly/kali-linux-2020-W16-installer-amd64.iso

x86  32-bit (right click and choose Save-As or Save Link As) select a folder to save the file to. Once the download has completed you can point VMware or VirtualBox to that ISO image to use for creating the virtual machine. 
https://cdimage.kali.org/kali-weekly/kali-linux-2020-W16-installer-i386.iso

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information