How to get Kali linux .iso image?

So I want to have a kali Linux vm to learn more about the OS and when I go to kali.com I download the 64-bit iso file and I get it. So I am a bit confused because I didn't get and iso file I got a folder with an installer in it. So I run the installer and I get an error (shown in the first image). And the part that makes me mad is that I see the file right under the installer (next image). Any help and advice is taken. All I want is the kali Linux iso file so I can make the vm.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

I am still confused. What exactly do you mean by

22 hours ago, gonzo said:

If you got the ISO, you must have said to OPEN it rather than SAVE it.  It downloaded and saved for me as a single file.  I used that link as well.

I single clicked mine and I get a .iso file but its logo is a rar (i have winrar) file. See what I mean.

Capture.PNG

ohhhhh I just have figured out my problem. Winrar opens iso files just like an extracted zip folder. So all this time i have been getting the .iso file but extracting its contents out.

I hope this thread will help other with this same problem as I have seen the exact same question online but with no answer. I now have a working vm with Kali Linux!

Capture.PNG

• 4 months later...
On 2017-05-14 at 8:43 PM, joshkmartinez said:

ohhhhh I just have figured out my problem. Winrar opens iso files just like an extracted zip folder. So all this time i have been getting the .iso file but extracting its contents out.

I hope this thread will help other with this same problem as I have seen the exact same question online but with no answer. I now have a working vm with Kali Linux!

Capture.PNG

On 10/14/2017 at 4:04 PM, Mad_Ghost said:

Josh, what did you do to solve the issue. When i downloaded Kali Linux and then unzipped it. I got so many files like you, while other people get only the ISO image! 

What to do? 

It actually is an ISO image already.  The trouble is that WinRAR is currently configured to have ISO files associated with it so that it (WinRAR) may open/extract them just as it does ZIP files and other archives (an ISO is technically a type of archive even though it's also what we use for disc images).  If you are needing to install Linux on a live system (i.e. not a VM (Virtual Machine)) then you should be able to burn the ISO to disc directly.  If you are using it for a VM (like VirtualBox or VMWare etc.) then you should be able to open the ISO directly from the VM software when it prompts you to select an ISO file/disc image/CD/DVD to use to install your chosen operating system (in this case, Linux) by browsing to its location from within the VM software and selecting the ISO file you downloaded that way the VM software will load it rather than WinRAR.

5 hours ago, exile360 said:

It actually is an ISO image already.  The trouble is that WinRAR is currently configured to have ISO files associated with it so that it (WinRAR) may open/extract them just as it does ZIP files and other archives (an ISO is technically a type of archive even though it's also what we use for disc images).  If you are needing to install Linux on a live system (i.e. not a VM (Virtual Machine)) then you should be able to burn the ISO to disc directly.  If you are using it for a VM (like VirtualBox or VMWare etc.) then you should be able to open the ISO directly from the VM software when it prompts you to select an ISO file/disc image/CD/DVD to use to install your chosen operating system (in this case, Linux) by browsing to its location from within the VM software and selecting the ISO file you downloaded that way the VM software will load it rather than WinRAR.

Well, the problem is actually when i try to locate the ISO image with VMware it shows all the files that I extracted but not the ISO image. All the cases i saw online when they extract the Kali Linux file from WinRAR they get only the ISO image, no other files like in my case! 

So, is there a way to extract my Kali and not make it peices because VMware can't find the ISO image

thank you for your replay

I have an idea that should fix this for you.  Open WinRAR and click on Options>Settings and in the settings window click on the Integration tab.  Uncheck the box next to ISO beneath where it says Associate WinRAR with and then click OK (click Yes if prompted by User Account Control).

Now .ISO files shouldn't be associated with WinRAR and therefore should not be extracted by it to the individual files.  You should be able to go to the original location where you downloaded the file and find it there with a different icon, probably one that looks like a CD as that's the standard ISO icon I believe.  That's the file you should be able to open with VMWare.  If it is zipped within an archive, you should be able to extract it to a single ISO file now that WinRAR isn't configured to be associated with ISO files any longer.

Just FYI, I deliberately uncheck ISO file whenever I install WinRAR for this very reason.  I use other tools to edit/modify ISOs (UltraISO usually) so I don't require this functionality from WinRAR.

Edited by exile360

10 hours ago, exile360 said:

I have an idea that should fix this for you.  Open WinRAR and click on Options>Settings and in the settings window click on the Integration tab.  Uncheck the box next to ISO beneath where it says Associate WinRAR with and then click OK (click Yes if prompted by User Account Control).

Now .ISO files shouldn't be associated with WinRAR and therefore should not be extracted by it to the individual files.  You should be able to go to the original location where you downloaded the file and find it there with a different icon, probably one that looks like a CD as that's the standard ISO icon I believe.  That's the file you should be able to open with VMWare.  If it is zipped within an archive, you should be able to extract it to a single ISO file now that WinRAR isn't configured to be associated with ISO files any longer.

Just FYI, I deliberately uncheck ISO file whenever I install WinRAR for this very reason.  I use other tools to edit/modify ISOs (UltraISO usually) so I don't require this functionality from WinRAR.

Dude, you are absolutely genius! 

It worked, thank you very much :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 5:52 PM, exile360 said:

im confused after unchecking that iso in winrar. do i need to download it again or lol im confused