malwarebytes 3.1.1 still no changs - high ram usage

even with new beta 3.1.1 of malwarebytes and new setting for manual scan I had set the setting to lower the priority of manual scan to improve multitasking . but this did not help at all . still high memory usage during the Threat scan I thinks . so any plan to find more fix for the software ?

Edited by Gt-truth
  • Root Admin

Please show some Process Explorer screen shots or built-in Resource Monitor screen shots as well as a new set of FRST logs and MB Check log.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

• Create and obtain an mb-check log:
    1. Download mb-check from here and save to your desktop
    2. Run mb-check and within a few second the command window will open and then close
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-checkResult.txt
    4. Attach this log file to your post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Thanks

• Staff

Regarding the priority setting for scans, it has nothing to do with RAM usage; it only affects CPU usage, which is actually what is far more significant when it comes to multitasking.  Of course, if your system is low on available RAM and you try to run a process which consumes a lot of RAM it will slow things down due to the use of virtual memory (the paging file, i.e. writing to/reading from a swap file on the hard drive), but as long as there is any RAM at all available then the system's performance should not be slowed at all.  it is a myth that having more free memory makes a system faster/perform better, you just don't want to run out of RAM completely because that's when it slows things down.

The fact of the matter is, if we didn't use so much RAM during scans, it would make scans far slower and actually put a LOT more stress on your hard drive/SSD because we'd have to be constantly loading/unloading the various signatures from our databases during scans to check each file that we scan (that's where most of the RAM usage is during a scan; it's used by our engine to hold the threat signatures in memory so that scans can go much faster, plus of course actually analyzing the contents of the files being scanned to determine whether or not they're malware).

Here's some further info on the subject (found via a quick Google search; I used to have a list of resources/articles about this, but I couldn't find them and I figured more recent info would be more viable/relevant anyway):

https://www.howtogeek.com/128130/htg-explains-why-its-good-that-your-computers-ram-is-full/
https://www.howtogeek.com/219555/12-of-the-biggest-pc-myths-that-just-wont-die/
https://www.howtogeek.com/220297/7-of-the-biggest-pc-hardware-myths-that-just-won’t-die/
https://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6355

https://www.howtogeek.com/171424/why-memory-optimizers-and-ram-boosters-are-worse-than-useless/

And here's a relevant quote from one of the above articles that sums up pretty well what I'm talking about:

Modern operating systems try to use as much of your computer’s RAM as possible. This is true for everything from Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X to Android and Apple’s iOS. Modern web browsers also use quite a bit of memory.

This is a good thing! When data is in RAM, your computer can access it more quickly. It makes sense to leave applications, data, temporary files, and everything else in RAM where it can speed up access times in the future.

Crucially, empty RAM is entirely useless. If your computer does need more RAM for something, it can instantly purge some of that cached data from your RAM to free up space. If you look at your resource usage and see high RAM usage, that’s probably a good thing — as long as your computer or device is performing well.

• Root Admin

@Gt-truth

Please read the topic above by @exile360

Note, you're running the following software which takes a lot of resources to use.

AVG 2016
Malwarebytes 3.1
(SUPERAntiSpyware)
Zemana AntiMalware
Glarysoft
OpenVPN
µTorrent (doesn't look to be in memory though, but if running it is a hog on resources)

Microsoft says you need a minimum of 1GB of RAM to run x86 32-Bit Windows 7, however that is woefully being optimistic, in that yes Windows 7 will run but it will be very slow as it will constantly page programs in and out of memory to the hard disk. I think you'll find that most Techs recommend a minimum of 4GB - on our own systems at work we run 8GB as a minimum and on higher end users we install 16GB of memory. Your computer is running with 3GB of physical memory. Getting 4GB of memory now days is about $40 give or take a few bucks and well worth it in my opinion, if you can afford it I'd get 8GB.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz
Percentage of memory in use: 65%
Total physical RAM: 2806.81 MB
Available physical RAM: 969.89 MB
Total Virtual: 5611.91 MB
Available Virtual: 3676.5 MB

Edited by AdvancedSetup

@exile360 Thanks for the detailed explanation, but I have a few questions here

1- I am with Windows 7 , 32-bit system so how many RAM can be added since I have 32-bit system running ? it can be more 4 GB of RAM to added to laptop that running 32 bit windows system ?

2- is there an way to improved /clean up and free up the memory ?

@AdvancedSetup thanks for that. however I have made some uninstall changes of what software was install on my system so I have removed some of them and some are still there . 

AVG 2016 (has been uninstalled)
Malwarebytes 3.1(has been uninstalled and reinstall it)
(SUPERAntiSpyware) - (still installed)
Zemana AntiMalware (has been uninstalled)
Glarysoft (still installed)
OpenVPN (I can’t see it on the list of installed programs)
µTorrent (has been uninstalled)

so after I had to removed the AVG 2016 and go with Avira free . their installer has to bundled my system with a lot of their crap software which make my system to become very slow . moreover their free anti-virus make everything to goes slowdown and can not even to browsing any Web-pages .while I was just give their anti-virus a try . while I’m testing Avira is being scannedimageproxy.php?img=&key=7f5738b24d726c1e MALWAREBYTES folder and they have to removed mbam services afterword ! and not sure if this have to affect malwarebytes software or not .

CpWz_3658.png

Edited by Gt-truth
  • Staff

Yeah, with Windows 32-bit you are unfortunately limited to approximately 4GB of RAM (the actual amount available varies depending on hardware, particularly if the system has an integrated graphics processor which uses system RAM as its video memory).  That said, I just tested this feature on my own system and it turns out it actually does reduce the amount of RAM used.  When configured normally, a scan uses anywhere from 550MB~630MB on my system during a Threat scan.  Once I enabled the option to lower the priority of manual scans it only reached about 400MB max (and throughout much of the scan it was actually a lot lower than that, like in the 200~300MB range) but what I noticed most was the drop in CPU usage.  It went from pegging all 4 cores/8 threads of my i7 at around 70%~80% to only consuming 13% of my total CPU and only operating on a single thread, leaving plenty of available horsepower to do other things.  Now obviously the scan took a heck of a lot longer too, and I could see that in a big way watching how slowly the UI scrolled through the files/folders etc. being checked on my disk.

Here's some data I pulled during various points.  The first is the RAM used by mbam.exe and mbamservice.exe while running in the background (protection only; no scan), the second is during the filesystem scan (the part of the scan that typically consumes the most resources) with scans set to run in low priority mode and the third is during a the filesystem scan with scans set to run normally.  You can judge the difference for yourself:

Wed 05/10/2017 
04:55 AM

mbam.exe                      8140 Console                    1     74,260 K

MBAMService.exe               2916 Services                   0    275,692 K

Wed 05/10/2017 
04:56 AM

mbam.exe                      8140 Console                    1     74,956 K

MBAMService.exe               2916 Services                   0    461,060 K

Wed 05/10/2017 
05:00 AM

mbam.exe                      8140 Console                    1     79,068 K

MBAMService.exe               2916 Services                   0    614,028 K

Obviously you're in a situation where you're pretty limited on RAM due to using a 32-bit version of Windows, but unfortunately I just don't know if there's anything else the devs can do to reduce the amount of RAM being used during scans.  I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm not a developer so I have no clue, but seeing the difference between the resources consumed when run normally vs running in low priority mode the difference is already night and day.  Now the funny thing is, even when scanning in high priority mode, the two processes on my system consuming the most RAM were chrome.exe and iexplore.exe (two of my web browsers) and right below Malwarebytes was firefox.exe, so if your web browser(s) act anything like mine, they must be eating up quite a bit of RAM as well.

Where is the CPU usage during a manual scan when you have Malwarebytes set to run them in low priority mode?  Where is it when it's set to run the scans normally?

@Gt-truth I don't know if you have the skills but clean installing Win 7 x64 would give you the ability to add ram up to the system max.

There are many guides and legal ways to download a Win 7 disk on the web.

This suggestion is given to you at your own risk. I can do it in my sleep but I do it for a living.