smallen50

Client database version out of date

Hi @smallen50 your logs show a failure to open an SSL channel. Have you disabled any SSL or TLS protocols on your network? Added an NGFW with SSL Packet Inspection?

2017-04-13 08:20:34.373: ****ERROR*****: System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

This machine was updating fine on April 12th, April 13th is when it started to fail:

2017-04-12 14:25:38.262: Download version file: https://x.x.x.x:18457/SignatureDownload/mbam.check.database
2017-04-12 14:25:38.294: Check version.check file content: v2017.04.12.07
2017-04-12 14:25:38.294: Execute CoreClient Update.
2017-04-12 14:25:38.294: Launch client, filename: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamapi.exe, parm: /update
2017-04-12 14:25:38.310: Update Command started.
2017-04-12 14:25:39.172: Update Command completed.

I'm also seeing that you are on outdated software. Your mbam is shown as 1.80.1.1011, which is tied to console 1.6.1.2897. SSL Man in the middle protection was brought to mbam 1.80.2.1012, which is tied to console 1.7.0.3208. However, the latest console available is 1.8.0.3443.

If you want to upgrade, the link is here - https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbes_for_business

Upgrade steps are here - https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/portal/articles/1835539-?b_id=6520

Edited by djacobson

Excellent, I will look into getting things upgraded and verify we haven't made any network changes like you mentioned and let you know.  I appreciate your reply!

I am having a similar problem, but am having very little luck with support. Any advice?

We purchased this product nearly 2 months ago, but have not yet been able to get it to work. I've installed both the solution/mgmt console on the same 2016 severs using the integrated SQL install. I've uninstalled/reinstalled both Malwarebytes and SQL multiple times, but still getting the same result in the log. I've not yet had any luck logging in even once via the Management console. 

Error 2018-08-03 06:25:15.4704 2076 17 There was an error warming up the reports: System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
   at SC.Server.WindowsService.SCWindowsService.<>c.<WarmupReport>b__68_0()

Thanks

Hi @dshapiro, newer server's like yours support TLS 1.1 and 1.2 right from the get go, but MBMC needs modification in order to use it. If you are using the embedded database option, there are also some Microsoft KB's to install. See the attached PDF.

MBMC_TLS_Support.pdf

@djacobson Thanks so much for the quick reply and for the information re: 2016 server. I will apply your recommendations tonight and see if it resolves my issue. 

@dshapiro are you using embedded or external SQL? If external, what SQL version and what is the SQL server's OS version?

If you happen to be behind a palo alto networks or sonicwall, these appliances often invoke our MITM protection as they change the packet header enough with their ssl filtering / ssl proxy / ssl packet inspection features to cause our program to drop the connection. I bring this up, because in your server log their, the error presents itself when the server goes to check your MBAM license against our license enforcement backend service.

Info    2018-08-04 11:26:45.5124    13044    32    Performing Check for product code: MBAM-B
Error    2018-08-04 11:26:46.3398    13044    18    There was an error warming up the reports: System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
   at SC.Server.WindowsService.SCWindowsService.<>c.<WarmupReport>b__68_0()

@djacobson - I'm using the embedded version that has been updated now to SP3 with a hotfix per your earlier post. Both the software and console are installed on the same 2016 server, so no firewall in between. As for the license, we've purchased them but I've never been able to successfully login in order to apply them. 

@dshapiro

May I have you go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Advanced and double check that TLS 1.1 and 1.2 is checked and enabled? Check it if not. Do you have IIS manager role on the server? Go there and use the "create a new self-signed certificate" feature. Once created, use MBMC's "SSL Certificate Configuration" tool. You can find it in the start menu under Malwarebytes Management Server or in the file system under C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Management Server, it's called SSLCertificateConfig.exe, right click and it and run it as admin for either the start menu shortcut or directly on the exe. Browse to the new self-signed cert and import it. Restart the server and see if you can log in.

@djacobson - Things look much better after applying your latest suggestions. I was finally able to get logged in and get the solution up and running.

Thanks so much for the assist

Also, any plans to have these extra steps added to the install itself or the install documentation for Windows 2016? I will be doing more of these in the near future for other clients running Windows 2016, so I assume all of the same manual steps will be required on each one. 

@dshapiro that's awesome! I love it when it works out :) I know the TLS 1.1/1.2 process is tedious right now, but we are working in some changes for upcoming MBMC versions.