Feedback on Malwarebytes version 3.1.0.1716 beta

I installed this over the previous version of Malwarebytes Premium and all seems to be OK, with new options showing in the menus. The only negative so far is that my language reverted to US from UK (which means that date format is not dd:mm:yy as I would normally use) and Outlook appeared to have disappeared from the list of protected apps, where I had previously put it.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64
Malwarebytes Premium v. 3.1.0.1716
Avast Free 17.3.2291
CryptoPrevent 8.0 Premium
Tweaking.com Windows Repair Pro 3.9.27 (incorporating Registry Backup 3.5.3) 
Casper 10 Backup

• Staff

Hi TempLost--

Thank you for the feedback.

The issue with the language not properly carrying over is known, but custom shields created for applications should migrate correctly.  We will take a look at this - thanks for reporting! 

• Staff

Thanks for confirming.  I'm attempting to reproduce what you are seeing but haven't been able to yet regarding protected applications for Anti-Exploit.  I'll let you know if I have more questions :)

• Staff

Could you post your install log?  It should have been created in your %temp% directory.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

The file should be named similarly to "Setup Log 2017-05-02 #001.txt".  It will be the date you ran the install upgrade.

I've had one or two issues with Windows becoming unresponsive and also not being able to start MB 3.1.0.1716, so I've uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled it (not run the Clean tool). I'll post back in 24 hours or so after I've given it time to settle in, with logs if I get any more problems.

UPDATE: Got the message below towards the end of a manual scan - after clicking on the warning, Malwarebytes restarted. Which logs would you like me to post, or would you like me to run the Clean tool and have another go at installing?

MB Restart Message.JPG

Edited by TempLost
New Info

OK, curiouser and curiouser - I carried out a clean uninstallation using mb-clean-2.4.1.1021.exe. I followed all the steps in the instructions except did not opt to download and install the latest MB 3.0 version after reboot but again installed the beta version 3.1.0.1716. After adding password and ID, updating, setting up exclusions and changing the language to UK English I ran a full scan which again failed while scanning files. I managed to do a screen grab this time and it appears to have failed scanning WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MANAGE-BDE.WSF

I've never had a scan fail like this under earlier versions of MB - any ideas?

Malware_Scan_Failure_after_clean_install.JPG

Additional Info. If I carry out an individual scan of MANAGE-BDE.WSF in Windows Explorer by right clicking with Avast, I get "No Threat Found". If i carry out the same with Malwarebytes, I get the report below:-

This shows 0 files scanned........

Malwarebytes doesn't crash on the individual file scan.

MB_Beta_scan_MANAGE-BDE.JPG

Edited by TempLost
additional info
  • Staff

@TempLost, Could you do the following:

1. Enable Event Log Data under application settings (this will enable debug logging for MBAM).
  2. Run the attached "SetupLocalAndFullMemoryDump.reg" file. (This will create a crash dump in C:\LocalDumps when an application has crashed)
  3. Reproduce the scan failure, with the popup saying "We're sorry, but Malwarebytes service has stopped working."
  4. Attach the memory dump and your latest mbamservice.logs.

SetupLocalAndFullMemoryDump.zip

Jekko,

OK, MB crashed on a different file this time - I couldn't get a screen grab as Snipping Tool wouldn't work. I've got the two sets of logs but, even zipped, they are too big to upload to the forum - can you give me another location?

Everything runs fine until the scan crashes, then a lot of things go awry with Windows. Couldn't open Snipping Tool, sound card is turned off, probably other things as well. I'm pretty sure the laptop is clean - it's been running pretty sweetly of late - virtually no problems shown in Reliability Monitor of late - it just seems to be this beta that's thrown things adrift.......

OK, I'll turn off rootkits scanning. I'll probably be out of the loop for a bit as my evening meal will be on the table soon (I hope). Could be 12 hours or so before I get back to this thread - could be earlier if the TV is lousy........

38 minutes ago, Jekko said:

@TempLost - We got your logs.  Thank you!

In the meantime, could you try turning off rootkit scanning in protection settings?

OK - turned off rootkit scanning and ran another scan, but got the same error message and crash. I'll wait to see what analysis of the logs brings. Should I turn off Event Log Data Collection in the meantime?

43 minutes ago, Jekko said:

@TempLost - We got your logs.  Thank you!

In the meantime, could you try turning off rootkit scanning in protection settings?

OK - turned off rootkit scanning and ran another scan, but got the same error message and crash. I'll wait to see what analysis of the logs brings. Should I turn off Event Log Data Collection in the meantime?