How to upgrade to latest Free version of Malwarebytes ?

I had started a thread awhile back and was told the following; 

"The Free version doesn't automatically update program and the database version. You have to do that manually.
When you update the database manually and if there's a new program version it will notify you."

Is this true?
If it is I never received any notification that there was a new Free version of Malwarebytes.
I have Malwarebytes Anti-Maleware Home  (Free) 2.2.1.1043  Build Date 3/10/16 4:06 PM
How to I obtain and install the latest Free version of Malwarebytes ? 
Do I have to uninstall (Free) 2.2.1.1043 first, then install the latest Free version of Malwarebytes?

I have always manually updated the database version before scanning.

How can I stay informed or notified on the new free Malwarebytes releases?

Any help appreciate,

Thanks, 

Hello and Welcome... the steps below will get you on the latest version (Free/Trial/Premium).

V3 Clean install - latest version

Let's try this first.... (It is recommended that you de-activate your Malwarebytes first before un-installing or using the clean removal tool - the tool can only backup the license info for MB3 so if you have MBAM v1 or v2 you have to de-activate it manually)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-claen tool you will be asked to reboot.  Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES or you can download the latest version (currently v3.0.6 CU4.1) to re-install from HERE)
  2. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU4.1 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Once you get version 3 installed, you will get a 14 day FREE trial of the Premium version, after that it reverts to the free version.  Anytime you click on updates (with free version) it will download database updates as well as any program updates.  The Trial/Premium version auto checks for updates every hour or so, unless you change the schedule.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox