Blocked from opening anything in AOL

mygoose

I am using Windows XP SP3.

Having had no issues for a very long time I now have two.

Whenever I try to open anything in AOL I get these two messages.  I am not sure if they errors but thought they could not be anything nasty as I am using the paid Premium version of Malwarebytes

https://s.admathhd.com/2/4.25.1/871359/Xh3cc1M6.3dkwSrT12rwElFNjQOy0CBp/postback_ifr?ac=399zawo&si=lawbqkr&pc=6myq9er&ai=gq8fif8&pp=aoladtech&cr=di3hteil&dm=728x90&cb=794076&di=www.aol.com&ui=aca72b82-c6c4-44e4-a162-e90bfb0ea216&dt=8713591464204278234019&ci=871359&oz_tc=Xh3cc1M6.3dkwSrT12rwElFNjQOy0CBp&oz_sc=52a8f67ea17ac8a8b7efad05&oz_st=1492730707453&oz_v=4.25.1&dp=www.aol.com&oz_df=27281&oz_l=411&cv=3

and

Navigation to the web page was cancelled

Thanks for help

mygoose

Based on a quick web search it looks like that site is related to an old PUP (adware) item.  I'm not too familiar with AOL so I'm not certain how to do it, but resetting the browser's settings should in theory eliminate it if it is indeed a leftover entry/plugin from an old PUP/adware item.  That said, if you would prefer expert guided assistance in removing whatever's causing it then please follow the instructions in this thread and create a new topic in that area with the requested info/logs and one of our experts will give you a hand in getting this fixed and making sure that everything is clean and working properly.

Thanks.

In the meantime something I've tried, not sure what, has made the admathhd thing go away.

I'm left with the other issue now when I try to open any link or message

"Navigation to the web page was cancelled"

Would your advice be the same for this?

mygoose

Wow, really?  Did he give any details as to what the issue is?

I just found these instructions which might be of some use.  Show Ron my post here and ask him if it's OK for you to give this a shot while he's working with you.  It might be that these ad pop-ups are the cause of all this, so disabling them might (hopefully) fix it.

Edited by exile360

Yep, I looked at the thread.  I found that info doing a web search after seeing what he said about it, that it's likely something built into the AOL browser, which is why I thought that might work to eliminate the issue.  I figured the errors were the result of the pop-ups/ads attempting to show up but being blocked by something on your system designed to block ads (which is usually a good thing, but I guess in this case it can create issues).

Believe me, he knows far more about this sort of thing than I do which is why I never work in the malware removal area.  He's been doing this stuff since long before I ever touched a keyboard for the first time and I've learned a lot from him over the years since I've been around here at the Malwarebytes forum.

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

Believe me, he knows far more about this sort of thing than I do which is why I never work in the malware removal area.  He's been doing this stuff since long before I ever touched a keyboard for the first time and I've learned a lot from him over the years since I've been around here at the Malwarebytes forum.

If Ron can't fix it, It can't be fixed without a Windows format.

I read that the AOL software will not be free anymore.

https://help.aol.com/articles/aol-desktop-gold-faqs

This point is worth noting.

If you do not to upgrade to AOL Desktop Gold, you may still access your email using the old version of AOL Desktop software. However, you will not be able to send or receive new email in the old versions. For more information, please refer to our help article What happens to my email if I do not upgrade to AOL Desktop Gold?.

7 minutes ago, mygoose said:

This does not apply to me. I do not have AOL.

Aol UK was sold to Talk Talk and they retained the AOL name.

I have a paid package. It is not free.

mygoose

Thanks for the added info. Sometimes being across the pond has differences.

Do you have any sort of ad blocker on your system or are you using any modified HOSTS file or anything like that to block ads and/or malware by any chance?  I ask because that could be what's causing the page to be blocked thus creating the error.

I just checked my own HOSTS file (I use HostsMan to manage it, combining multiple ad/tracking/malware blocking HOSTS files) and it has an entry in it to block s.admathhd.com which, based on the name I'm guessing is an ad server.  It looks like in order to connect to the AoL service/website to use the browser you have to go through that ad server as a referrer (that's why that long link includes a par that says "www.aol.com".

Thanks I don't have any of those things but I have since posted in the thread to say that I have deleted Browser History in AOL Browser and the admathhd thing has gone.

I also said that I have found this about my other issue but asked is it true?

https://blog.teesupport.com/how-to-remove-fix-navigation-to-the-webpage-was-canceled-virus-lock-screen/

Thanks for help

mygoose

Excellent, I'm glad to hear it :) .  I bet Ron was right.  My guess is what happened was that you had an older version of the AoL browser which still contained some built in ad plugin but AoL no longer supports/works with that advertising company so the URL that displays the ads in your browser no longer functions, thus causing the errors and failures to connect whenever you try to use it.  So installing the new version which I'm guessing does not include such an extension/plugin (at least I hope not) or at least not one pointing to that specific website fixed the issues.

It was a sheer fluke that I downloaded it because I've tried before and half way through it said my machine wasn't suitable and stopped so when they offered it to me I just had to grab it.  I did not have time to ask Ron if it was OK and he had told me not to change anything. 

Good result

Thanks agan

mygoose

No worries, as long as it's fixed now that's all that matters.  Ron just didn't want you to make changes because part of what they do in that forum is work through issues step-by-step and to do that they need to be aware of everything that's been done to the system since starting the cleanup/repair process, and all they have to go on are the logs they get from the various tools they use so when something is changed that's outside of their knowledge or instructions it can cause problems for them when they're trying to see what's going on with the system (and it can also occasionally make things worse, depending on what it is that the user does and what the problem is with the system).  But in this case, it really did seem like it was just a problem specific to that browser installation and after all, it did end up fixing the issues so it all worked out for the best in the end.  I'm just glad you were able to install that updated version this time :) .

Spoke to soon. I expect you have read on the other thread this AOL has AolBrowserTab  and is worse,

I tried to remove it and there is a routine on the AOL Help using Add/Remove programs but AolBrowserTab 

is missing from Add Remove programs!!

mugoose

Good grief, these guys sure do love bundling this stuff and foisting it on their users, don't they?  Honestly, were I forced to deal with things like this just to use my email and web browser, I'd likely find a new provider for each, assuming there was no reason compelling me to stay with them.  Is there a reason that you need to use AoL and can't instead use something like GMail or Yahoo! or even Microsoft for your email etc. and switch browsers to Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or some other browser that doesn't force this sort of thing on you, or is AoL a requirement for your job or something?