Problem with Firefox 64 bit

Malwarebytes Pro 3.0.6.1469, Component 1.0.103, Update Package 1.0.1816. Malwarebytes recently started preventing Firefox X64 from opening/starting up from time to time. I noted a different post mentioning problems with 32 bit browsers, but thought I would post this since mine is definitely 64 bit. Nothing happened that I could see when I would click on the Icon in my system tray; however, when I tried to uninstall Firefox it would not uninstall, reporting that I had to close it before I could uninstall. After a reboot I uninstalled Firefox and cleaned out all the old folders, then reinstalled a fresh copy of Firefox 53.0 (64bit) and at the completion of the installation it hung when I clicked finish, until I quit Malwarebytes, which allowed the installation to complete.

I then added the Mozilla folder in Program Files, the Mozilla folder in my User AppData and all of the Firefox executables located in the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox folder in to Malwarebytes Exclusions. So far Firefox is once again opening OK and working OK. This is submitted only for your information. I had previously posted about what exclusions to add for Kaspersky Total Security and thought I would also mention that  I believe that that issue is resolved.

I'm having this problem as well, but the issue isn't Firefox starting... that's just the side effect. Malwarebytes is preventing Firefox.exe from shutting down completely. 

With Malwarebytes running, closing Firefox results in the Firefox UI closing, but the Firefox.exe continues to run in the background. If you attempt to restart Firefox, it will not start until you've killed those old processes. Malwarebytes closed, Firefox terminates just fine.

I'm running Firefox 52.0.2 (32 bit) and Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.6.1469, Component 1.0.103, Update 1.0.1819 on Windows 10.

1 minute ago, deaconb said:

I'm having this problem as well, but the issue isn't Firefox starting... that's just the side effect. Malwarebytes is preventing Firefox.exe from shutting down completely. 

With Malwarebytes running, closing Firefox results in the Firefox UI closing, but the Firefox.exe continues to run in the background. If you attempt to restart Firefox, it will not start until you've killed those old processes. Malwarebytes closed, Firefox terminates just fine.

I'm running Firefox 52.0.2 (32 bit) and Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.6.1469, Component 1.0.103, Update 1.0.1819 on Windows 10.

Please get the same logs from the above post and post them in your own new topic please.

15 hours ago, dcollins said:

Thanks for the heads up. If you don't mind, could you also provide the information from the thread below so we can try to replicate this issue? Thanks

Files are attached for your information. What deaconb said about Firefox not shutting down and running in the background makes since based on the error message I got not allowing me to uninstall Firefox because it was running even though the UI was not visible. Rebooting shut down Firefox and then I could uninstall/reinstall Firefox. Since adding the Firefox exclusions to Malwarebytes, I no longer have the problem.

MB-CheckResult.txt

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

logs.7z

• 1 month later...

I thought I had this problem under control by adding exclusions for Firefox, but the problem continued. I do not believe that it was caused primarily by Malwarebytes any longer. The issue of multiple instances of Firefox running as a Background process and then not being able to reopen Firefox until I closed the instances running in the Background has since driven me to using Google Chrome as my default browser. Even with as many as 8 instances of Chrome running in the background, I can always open Chrome.

I did a lot of testing and in my case, the primary culprit seems to be Thunderbird. When I would open a link in an e-mail in Thunderbird, it creates an instance of Firefox running in the background that is some how different and it is these instances that prevent Firefox from reopening. Adding MAMP exclusions for Thunderbird did not help either. I have some notes that are too long to type here, but if someone would like to see them I could send them by e-mail or just attach a file. I can't say that this is the case for others seeing similar problems, but thought I would post this for further information.