feature close unsafe pop up sites

dr0

The problem with that I think is that some people might not understand why the window won't open in the end, and it might end up being confusing. Pretty much every product display a block page and notification when they block a website.

it more like to detect site there wont close i have try when site makes itself full screen and display sound and auto play video and wont close that asks again and again    

virus.PNG

virys 2.PNG

Edited by dr0
pictures

28 minutes ago, Aura said:

The problem with that I think is that some people might not understand why the window won't open in the end, and it might end up being confusing. Pretty much every product display a block page and notification when they block a website.

i think it not a problem it just need more blocking protocol there    

I know what you're referring to. Do you have any adblocker installed on your web browser? Personally I use uBlock Origin on Google Chrome and I don't have that issue. All the redirects are blocked by uBlock Origin.

• Staff

Currently we can't block actual pop-ups because we don't use any browser plugins, we're hooked directly into the network stack which is at the lowest layer of the network connection. The disadvantage is that we can't block individual pop-ups like this (though we can obviously still block the sites the pop-ups lead to if they are malicious) but the advantage is that our blocking method is truly universal meaning it isn't browser dependent (works with any and all browsers) and also works for any other program which connects to the internet meaning other apps like Skype, for example which was infiltrated by malicious ads serving exploits/malware a while back, are also protected by our website blocking module. That said, if we were to develop something to deal with sites like the one you describe where it won't allow you to leave the page (similar to tech support scam sites and sites that attempt to force you to install plugins etc.) it would have to install a plugin within the browser in all likelihood meaning browsers like Edge which do not allow the installation of plugins would not be compatible with it and therefore would not be protected by it (though our regular web blocking would still work as it does now of course).

Personally, I most often use Internet Explorer for the riskiest sites I visit because as long as it's fully patched it's actually less vulnerable these days to attack than Chrome or Firefox, if only because they now hold a higher market share and are targeted more frequently. The reason I use IE isn't only that though; it's also because I have it configured to block all cookies by default and to prompt me to allow once, allow always, block once or block always cookies when a site tries to install/save cookies on my system and I have the pop-up blocker turned up to its maximum setting (meaning it's configured not to allow any pop-ups unless I specifically allow a website to display them via the notification that gets displayed at the bottom of the browser/screen when pop-ups are blocked) and so far I have not come across any website which has been able to defeat or trick IE's pop-up blocker. I also use Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer along with Malwarebytes of course.

I do have Chrome and Firefox installed and do use them for certain things, but whenever visiting unknown or potentially risky websites, Internet Explorer is now always my first choice (IE11 on Windows 7x64 SP1, fully patched).

Edited by exile360

• Staff
9 hours ago, dr0 said:

http://www.popuptest.com/goodpopups.html  how do limit pop up block number 4 and 2

fx.PNG

By the way, as far as this site goes, I just tested using IE as I have it configured and each and every one of those pop-ups was blocked.  I understand what they're saying about "good pop-ups", but I'm of the personal opinion that the only good pop-up is the one that I specifically allow.  Whenever I come across a site that I wish to allow pop-ups for I either configure it to do so via the block notification in IE or I simply right click on the button/link and choose "Open in new tab".  If that option is not available and I don't want to whitelist the site completely then I use the "Allow once" button/option in the pop-up blocker notification which temporarily allows the current website to display pop-ups without permanently whitelisting/allowing them.

Either way, it's worth the trouble in my opinion to never see any pop-ups that I don't want.

how do i configure ie i have set it to max but it still cant block 2 and 3

On ‎25‎-‎04‎-‎2017 at 9:33 AM, exile360 said:

By the way, as far as this site goes, I just tested using IE as I have it configured and each and every one of those pop-ups was blocked.  I understand what they're saying about "good pop-ups", but I'm of the personal opinion that the only good pop-up is the one that I specifically allow.  Whenever I come across a site that I wish to allow pop-ups for I either configure it to do so via the block notification in IE or I simply right click on the button/link and choose "Open in new tab".  If that option is not available and I don't want to whitelist the site completely then I use the "Allow once" button/option in the pop-up blocker notification which temporarily allows the current website to display pop-ups without permanently whitelisting/allowing them.

Either way, it's worth the trouble in my opinion to never see any pop-ups that I don't want.

• Staff

For IE11 (which is what I'm using) the instructions on this page explain it under the "Pop-up Blocker" section.  There's other good info in there too such as how to block cookies, send do-not-track requests, and using tracking protection lists (I use all of these features).  Recently I even changed the setting for Flash Player since I still use it on some sites and it's so commonly used for annoying/distracting ads so that each site I visit which wishes to use Flash has to ask for permission (you use the "Tools>Manage add-ons" menu, double-click the Shockwave Flash Object entry and use the "Remove all sites" button so that the * which is a wildcard indicating that any website may use it without permission gets removed from the list, then as you add the sites you visit that you want it allowed for (such as YouTube and the like), only those specific sites will be included in that list).