Premium version Activation unstable

I have been a  user of the premium version since March 2015 and have it installed on 2 pc's and a laptop in my home office.

Presently I have installed 3.06.1469 . My premium subscription is paid up to March 2018.

Since installing the current version I have had to report continual problems with being downgraded to the 'free' version and having all protection turned off on various machines at different times.  Removing and completely reinstalling the application may temporarily sort this out, but the next day the problem will be back on one pc or another.

There have also been issues with the activation code supplied not being accepted.

This really concerns me and I think other users may have been affected by the same glitch. Even the free version includes certain protection, so why would, under any circumstances, everything get turned off for those who have paid for the premium version?

Further, it is not clear to the user that protection has been turned off since the MWB icon sits in the task bar  and no warning messages are emitted. Users could be browsing for some time without protection, especially if they relied on MWB exclusively. It is really most unsatisfactory for a product that claims to offer a high level of protection for internet users.

I first reported the matter to support on April 15th, but 7 days later, still don't have a solution.

I had problems with the earlier versions so perhaps this application is just not reliable and windows users like me should fall back on Windows Defender/Security Essentials which at least don't keep turning off without warning.

Hello @JohnnyCyprus

We have a latest Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU4.1 build that has been really running well for a lot of users. 

I would recommend you upgrading to the latest build . More details about the build can be found in the following forum post:

Please try the latest build and let us know if that helps resolve some of the issues you are seeing.

If you have activation issues/ trouble with License keys the only way to resolve them would be to contact support at : https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/portal/emails/new?b_id=6400&utm_source=forum.

Thank you,

19 minutes ago, nikhils said:

Hello @JohnnyCyprus

We have a latest Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU4.1 build that has been really running well for a lot of users. 

I would recommend you upgrading to the latest build . More details about the build can be found in the following forum post:

Please try the latest build and let us know if that helps resolve some of the issues you are seeing.

If you have activation issues/ trouble with License keys the only way to resolve them would be to contact support at : https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/portal/emails/new?b_id=6400&utm_source=forum.

Thank you,

I have reported the matter to support as stated in the penultimate para of my posting

Edited by JohnnyCyprus
additional stuff

I did use the clean install on another pc that had reverted to the free version and dropped all protection.

After that was restored OK, MWB premium on this pc then reverted to the free version and stopped protection.

I don't suppose the log files from this pc would be any use to you.

Let me know if you want the log files from a particular pc and I'll send them.  - Laptop, this pc or the one I last clean installed which is still running the premium version OK, when I last checked.

It is not a simple matter.

I have now activated MWB premium on this pc.  The key and licence ID have been accepted, although previous attempts all failed.

However real time web protection has now been  disabled on the Laptop and all attempts at starting it fail.

Running Premium on three machines is like playing 'Wack-a-Mole': No sooner have you activated it on one pc, it gets de-activated on another, or the protection gets turned off.

It is ridiculous to expect users to pay for such an unstable product; how can they have any confidence in it's claims to protect their pc's?  Much more of this and I will go back to relying on MS Security Essentials and Defender - at least they don't keep switching off like MWB premium.

Please keep this posting open and I will update it with whatever the outcome.  It looks like there is a large number of users with similar problems, judging from the other posts on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

MWB Premium has been running on my three pcs: - W7, W8 and W10 OK for about three weeks.

I have performed several actions in the meantime, under the instruction of the support team: MB Check, changes to MS Security Essentials settings, run FRST and chkdsk /r.  I doubt that any of these actions solved the issue - it just seemed to go away around three weeks ago after a period of playing Whack-a-Mole with me.

One thing I can say in MWB's favour is that they do provide a level of support for users who have problems with the MWB application or with infections.  I don't think you get anything like that from MS and it is probably worth paying for the premium version, although it might seem to be 'belt and braces' if you are running MS Defender on W10.  The infection support is particularly reassuring for home users who have been affected.