PLEASE revise the current method of upgrading

PostHEX

Running through a wizard for every software upgrade is not 2017. De-installing old versions and installing a new is not the way the servicing of software should work in 2017. With the current method of upgrading it befalls on people of my generation with parents and grandparents -- parents and grandparents who can't even finish a wizard without messing something up -- to handle the upgrades. I mean, haven't Malwarebytes staff got middle-aged and elderly relatives who use their company's product? Surely you must be getting feedback from them? Or are you all lucky that all of your employees' relatives have grown up with PCs and are PC literate? The way upgrades are done for your Malwarebytes app for Android would be extremely welcome to have for desktop Malwarebytes as well. Well at least similar in terms of how the end-user experiences it.

I've requested a couple of times an overhaul of the method of upgrading, and I'll keep requesting until the upgrading of Malwarebytes receives a modern implementation. Overall I like your product -- that's why my family owns ~18 licenses combined -- but I'd like it so much more if it wasn't a pain in the butt to manage all the installs.

• Staff

We have three types of updates, only one of which actually requires user interaction.

1. Database Update: These can happen hourly (by default). This updates your database so you can stay more protected as we discover new threats. Usually we have quite a few database updates every day, always keeping you safe from the latest threats we've identified. Your database version can be checked on the Settings -> About page and is listed as "Update Package Version". These updates require no user interaction.
  2. Component Updates: These updates happen throughout the day as well as long as the setting is turned on (Automatically download and install application component updates). These updates are background improvements and bug fixes to our underlying components that make MB3 work properly. We release these updates when we have changes that need to be deployed to users, but we try to leave a good amount of time between them so we can provide solid, meaningful updates. Your component version can be checked on the Settings -> About page and is listed as "Component Package Version". These updates require no user interaction.
  3. Application Updates: These updates are larger than component updates, and while they include the latest component update that we've released, they also include more changes that are usually UI related. These updates are not too common as we don't want to bombard users with these types of changes. When these updates happen, you get a notification that prompts you to install as this one requires you to accept a license agreement (in case of a change) and needs to shutdown and restart MB3. Because of the shutdown and UI upgrade, this type of update does require user interaction.

For reference, since MB3 was released, we've had countless database updates, four component updates (including the emergency 4.1 update last week), and 2 application updates (3.05 & 3.06, 3.04 was the launch version). That being said, our component and application updates are metered out over time, meaning some users get them before others. For users who want the latest updates immediately, we do make a full application update version available (for example, when component update 4.1 came out last week, we made a new application update). If you choose to download the standalone application update, then you need to interact it. However you can wait and your computer will get the component update on it's own and require no interaction from you.

Hopefully this helps clear things up

I'm talking about application updates then. Why do you still need a wizard for that? People don't need a wizard to update Chrome from 56 to 57; just a restart of the application will do. Why do users at every application update need to reaffirm their GUI language, re-accept software license agreement, reaffirm in which directory to install, reaffirm start menu folder settings, reaffirm desktop shortcut settings? I get that it's done this way because it's always done this way, but it's stupid. Better would be a similar experience to the application updating of your Android app.

• Staff
4 hours ago, PostHEX said:

I'm talking about application updates then. Why do you still need a wizard for that? People don't need a wizard to update Chrome from 56 to 57; just a restart of the application will do. Why do users at every application update need to reaffirm their GUI language, re-accept software license agreement, reaffirm in which directory to install, reaffirm start menu folder settings, reaffirm desktop shortcut settings? I get that it's done this way because it's always done this way, but it's stupid.

Honestly, it's only done this way because we still use the same installation package for in-place upgrades as we do for new user/fresh installation downloads (based on InnoSetup installers) so that's really the only limitation, at least for major software upgrades that include components of our main executables and such (we actually already do handle application component/module updates which replace non-UI and non-executable components silently already, as explained by dcollins above).  I totally agree that silent upgrades, even for major new versions which require a system reboot etc. should be handled silently/automatically (with options/settings for users to manage whether or not to download/install them automatically or just notify etc., just as Windows Update does in pre-Windows 10 versions and as we already do for all of our software updates) with the only required interaction being something like a tray pop-up/notification to reboot the system to complete the upgrade process when such a new version has been installed.  I've seen AVs that handle it the same way and it's very convenient compared to having to go through a whole installation wizard each time a new version gets released.

Anyway, I do believe that this is already in our queue for requested features so it's simply a matter of if and when the product team decides to implement it based on how important the feature is compared to others waiting to get done since development resources are limited (that's the same reason we unfortunately can't usually give an ETA on when any specific feature or bugfix might be completed/released).  On the up side, I am pretty sure based on previous conversations I've had with the team that they have decided that this would be a good feature to implement so if that is still true, it all boils down to priority and time :).

In my view, uninstalling the existing version of MB for major updates (a.i. UI and executable) is a major drawback of this product. Not to mention that at times one would need to run the "MBAM clean" tool to allow installing the latest version. This results in support calls, posting in forums, etc.

I'd be hard to pressed to name any other software that would require the removal and clean up after bad uninstall routine.

I guess asking for a rollback to the previous version feature, if the update does not work as intended to, would be too much to ask for at this point...

PS:, Yes, I do like MB and will keep using it, despite its installation shortcomings...