SSL error when trying to activate

On 5/2/2017 at 8:04 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Not sure that this will help but we released an updated 3.1 beta. Please install this version and reboot. Then let me know if it gives the same error or not.

NEW BETA!  Malwarebytes 3.1.0.1716
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/200230-new-beta-malwarebytes-3101716/

Ron

Stil no joy. Aso tried a fresh install. SSL error remains and Unable to connect to licence server.

MB3a.PNG

1 hour ago, dcollins said:

This is a different error, not the SSL error. Are you sure you sure your internet is connected properly when taking this screenshot? Can you turn on event log data under Settings -> Application, attempt to activate, and then get us logs from this new error?

The internet is working okay. MB3 is the only program where I have problems. I hope the attached log is the one to which you refer. This is a recent problem and started when MB3 would not update. A re-install would not activate the serial numbers, even with AV disabled.

Thanks.

MBAMSERVICE.LOG

Edited by j9ksf

Have you tried disabling Shadow Defender as well? We've seen some issues where programs can mess with the cryptography chain on your computer, which can cause SSL errors like this. I would expect this to come from more users if it was these programs, but it can't hurt to rule them out.

35 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Have you tried disabling Shadow Defender as well? We've seen some issues where programs can mess with the cryptography chain on your computer, which can cause SSL errors like this. I would expect this to come from more users if it was these programs, but it can't hurt to rule them out.

Hello,

Shadow Defender wasn't active when I tried to activate MB 3.

OH! I noticed you had recently installed RansomOff, which another user reported an issue with and their developers have spoken up about. Can you follow the instructions below (from their developers) and let us know if it resolves the issue:

Anyway, here are the steps that should get MB3 back running.

First please shutdown MB3. Then we need to remove the certificate that RO installed. To that to you need to open the certificate snap-in. First open a Run dialog (Windows Key + R) and type mmc.exe. It will need to run with admin privileges. When that opens click File and then Add/Remove Snap-in. You'll see a list of snap-ins that you can add on the left side. You want to add the Certificates snap-in but we'll do it twice. The first time you add it, make sure the 'My User Account' radio button is checked. Then click 'Finished.' Add the certificates snap-in again but this time check the 'Computer Account' radio button and click 'Next' and then 'Finish.' Once the snap-ins are added click 'Ok' and then the MMC main window will load two certificate instances on the left side. Expand both trees and you should see a sub folder called 'Intermediate Certificate Authorities.' Expand that and you'll see two sub-folders. We just care about the 'Certificates' sub-folder. In each folder, locate the certificate named 'DigiCert High Assurance EV Root CA' under the 'Issued To' column. You just need to right click on that certificate and click 'Delete.' The certificate may only be present in one sub-folder but just check both to make sure. Once you delete the instances of the certificate you can close MMC.

Next we need to clear the SSL cache. Open Internet Explorer and go to the Internet Options. You can also get to these options from the Control Panel. Click the 'Content' tab at the top of the options window and then you'll see a button that says 'Clear SSL state.' Click that and it should say the SSL cache was cleared.

We also re-installed MB3 overtop of the existing installation but we aren't sure if that really makes a difference.

Once you restart, verify that MB3 does not throw an error. If it does, obviously let us know.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue