Malwarebytes 3.0x getting slower with each update

6 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Fair enough, we can attempt to troubleshoot this internally. Out of curiosity, do you have that service set to start automatically for some reason? On my machine it's set to manual

It is set to manual on mine. I have not checked the dependencies fully, but it may have something to do with VMWare. I run Virtual Machines regularly - Windows XP for old software and Linux for an eventual move away from Windows entirely.

Edited by MikeAustin
more information

On 2017-5-14 at 10:51 PM, dcollins said:

Fair enough, we can attempt to troubleshoot this internally. Out of curiosity, do you have that service set to start automatically for some reason? On my machine it's set to manual

Any progress after 3 days? Would be nice to get the upgrade I have just paid for to work properly ;-)

13 hours ago, dcollins said:

Unfortunately we aren't able to replicate this yet, and I run both vmware and VirtualBox at home and haven't seen this. One thing I'd like to try, can you set the Peer Name Resolution service to disabled and see if your startup time is any better?

OK, back to square one. Cleaned out version 2.2, installed version 3.1.2, updated to latest. As before, the PC booted fine for a few occasions - 4 times. I left it for 2 hours - again OK. I worked on it for about 5 hours, then restarted. The delay returned. It has been consistently the case that the PC boots OK for a while, and then the 10 minute delay sets in.

Anyway, I stopped pnrpsvc.dll (it warned that Peer Networking Grouping would also be stopped). I then disabled it and restarted, and there was no delay. Now I don't know if this is repeatable over several restarts or after an extended period of time, so I will have to get back to you on that.

Now I will have to check what effect disabling the Peer Name Resolution has on my system. VMWare seems to be OK, but there may be other networking issues. I do not want to be forced to disable this service unless I have to.

So I think you have two things to work with here: 1) the delay is not immediate but comes when restarting a few hours later, 2) MWB is intolerant of Peer Name Resolution.

Where do I send my bill for helping debug your software?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Hello @MikeAustin

Can you please try the following and let us know if there is any improvement or not.

1. Open a CMD Window as an Administrator on the target computer and enter the following commands:

• cd %windir%\system32\
  • lodctr /R
  • cd %windir%\sysWOW64\
  • lodctr /R

Note: This should command resyncs the counter values.

2. Open up Regedit and navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfProc\Performance

3. Make sure that the value (if it exists) for the Disable Performance Counters is not 1.  If the entry does exist and the entry is 1, change it to 0 or delete that entry within the key.  ** PLEASE NOTE ** make sure you contact your system administrator before making changes to the registry, and make sure that you back it up before you delete it.

4. Restart the computer now.

Edited by AdvancedSetup

You posted exactly the same text on 13 May. I followed what you said then and it made no difference.

I would be very interested to see feedback from users on this forum where advice given to remove this startup delay worked - and worked consistently after a few restarts. I have neither the time nor the inclination to debug version 3 and I am remaining with version 2 until I see some progress reported on version 3.

On 02/06/2017 at 11:22 PM, dcollins said:

Just to be clear, with the Peer Name Resolution service disabled, this issue doesn't occur correct? That should give us a good point to go from. Is that service still disabled on your machine, or have you re-enabled it?

As far as I recall, there was still a problem. Anyway, I have found another possible clue to the problem.

I have been using my laptop away from my home internet connection for a few days. It has experienced delays on startup just the same as my desktop. On my home network, I have fixed IP addresses for my PCs and other devices. On another internet connection, without fixed IP addresses, I am not finding the delays even after several restarts. I do additionally have a static IP for my home internet connection, although that is probably insignificant.

Of course, while away I cannot check what would happen without the fixed IP addresses at home - nor could I operate my home network properly without them - but MB 2 has no problem with them. Only MB 3 may have a problem. It is an area of exploration for you.

3 hours ago, dcollins said:

Can you try turning off web protection to see if that makes a difference in your startup times?

Just to show how inconsistent this delay problem is, the 6th restart on my laptop away from my home network was back to the same delay again. So it is not related to fixed IP addresses on the home network. On the positive side, it means that I could try your suggestion.

First restart with web protection off was delayed again. The next three restarts were not delayed. I switched it back on again, and it was not delayed (but I know it will be delayed at some restarts). So this is inconclusive. I may need to restart several times without web protection to prove there are no delays with this setting.

My experience of programming has often shown that random behaviour like this is due to uninitialised variables somewhere in the code, or inadvertent overwriting of arguments in subroutine calls.

I tried this. OK for five restarts, then back to the same delay.

As I said in my previous post, random behaviour can stem from uninitialised variables somewhere in the code, or inadvertent overwriting of arguments in subroutine calls. I think MB 3 has an issue like this and I am not going to waste any more of my time debugging it for you until there us an update. So back to MB 2...