Malwarebytes 3.0x getting slower with each update

As many others here, I am experiencing hangs of up to 10 minutes during booting due to Malwarebytes 3.06. With mb3-setup-consumer-3.0.6.1469-1075.exe, it hung very shortly after after fully logged on. With mb3-setup-consumer-3.0.6.1469-1096.exe it hangs for 4-5 minutes at the Welcome screen, then for another 5 minutes with a blank screen. This is all the more galling as I renewed my subscription just before this happened!

I will monitor this forum until the negative feedback on version 3.0 dies down and it seems worthwhile trying it again. Meanwhile, I have an old copy of 2.2 (mbam-setup-web.NT-2.2.1.1043.exe - a year old), which is no problem at all, so I am running that instead. I would like the latest release of version 2. Where can I find it?

I run Windows 7 x64 with all the latest updates and Kaspersky Internet Security 17.

Hello and Welcome!

To answer your question, you can get the latest version 2 from here: (which is 2.2.1.1043) https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/mbam-setup-2.2.1.1043.exe

That being said, if you would like to try the latest release (released this week) See below:

Also if you would like, you can provide the logs below so we can see what may be causing your slowdowns as well as excluding MBAM into your Kaspersky...

1. Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 4 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 4 logs are: mbam logs zipped, FRST.txt, Addition.txt and mb-checkResult.txt)

I would like you to add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
  • C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

4 minutes ago, Telos said:

Kaspersky is known to conflict w/MBAM. Have you made the proper exclusions?

No, I have not. Version 2.2 is doing fine without adding any exclusions. And I see that some others here have tried exclusions with version 3.0 but they have not worked. I will occasionally monitor this forum and let others do the testing!

Definition of terms

End of Life :The date when we will no longer provide technical support on an older version of our software.....

What this means for you

You may continue to use the older product version at your own risk, but ongoing protection updates are not guaranteed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/04/2017 at 11:01 PM, MikeAustin said:

No, I have not. Version 2.2 is doing fine without adding any exclusions. And I see that some others here have tried exclusions with version 3.0 but they have not worked. I will occasionally monitor this forum and let others do the testing!

So I just tried 3.1.1.1722 beta to see if matters improved. They have not. 9.5 minutes to boot up - seems to be constantly getting worse. Back to 2.2 again!

If you provide the logs below, it may help the staff to see why your having this issue, it would be best to have the latest version installed first so we have the logs with the latest version installed.  Follow the steps below and this will install the latest version 3.1.2, then get the logs and post them here.

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-claen tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.1.2.1733 ) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 4 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 4 logs are: mbam logs zipped, FRST.txt, Addition.txt and mb-checkResult.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.1.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

Hi MikeAustin--

To add to Firefox's advice and request for logs, I wanted to mention a couple things.

What you're seeing on your system is definitely not normal. If you're still running Kaspersky, then mutual exclusions may very well be necessary to get the two products to play nicely together. The new Malwarebytes 3.x is a complete rewrite from the ground up and integrates several new protection technologies which is why it behaves differently from the legacy MBAM 2.2. Just because an older version didn't require exclusions for certain other security apps does not mean a completely new version would not require them.

I can tell you we have many, many users running Malwarebytes 3.x alongside Kaspersky with no issue. Even if whatever is going on on your system is not due to compatibility issues, we are typically able to help troubleshoot if you work with us. The level of protection provided in 3.x greatly surpasses what you have in 2.x, so I'd encourage you to upgrade.

1 hour ago, bdubrow said:

Hi MikeAustin--

To add to Firefox's advice and request for logs, I wanted to mention a couple things.

What you're seeing on your system is definitely not normal. If you're still running Kaspersky, then mutual exclusions may very well be necessary to get the two products to play nicely together. The new Malwarebytes 3.x is a complete rewrite from the ground up and integrates several new protection technologies which is why it behaves differently from the legacy MBAM 2.2. Just because an older version didn't require exclusions for certain other security apps does not mean a completely new version would not require them.

I can tell you we have many, many users running Malwarebytes 3.x alongside Kaspersky with no issue. Even if whatever is going on on your system is not due to compatibility issues, we are typically able to help troubleshoot if you work with us. The level of protection provided in 3.x greatly surpasses what you have in 2.x, so I'd encourage you to upgrade.

I also have 3.x running perfectly well on a basically identical Windows 10 partition (identical in that it has the same versions of Kaspersky and other software, having been 'upgraded' to Windows 10 from a clone of my Windows 7 partition). So it is only Windows 7 that MBAM 3.x has problems with - for me, anyway. Nevertheless, I will try what Firefox says above - although I don't want to waste too much time debugging this software.

On 12/05/2017 at 2:59 PM, Firefox said:

If you provide the logs below, it may help the staff to see why your having this issue, it would be best to have the latest version installed first so we have the logs with the latest version installed.  Follow the steps below and this will install the latest version 3.1.2, then get the logs and post them here.

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After uninstalling with the mb-claen tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) or you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.1.2.1733 ) to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 4 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 4 logs are: mbam logs zipped, FRST.txt, Addition.txt and mb-checkResult.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about the latest Malwarebytes 3.1.2 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

OK. I performed the clean and reinstall in 1). The first and second reboots were OK. After about 24 hours, I performed another reboot and the problem appeared again. The delay was the same (about 9.5 minutes) but happened after the desktop was populated. That is, all the desktop icons appeared but I could not run anything. No BSODs or error messages appeared. Eventvwr shows some delay around Microsoft NET, with file pnrpsvc.dll seeming to add about 2-3 minutes.

Next, I followed the procedure in 2). There are only 3 files produced: mb-check-results.zip, FRST.txt, Addition.txt. These are attached. I can find no fourth file.

I am returning to version 2.2 pending your diagnosis.

mb-check-results.zip

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Hello @MikeAustin

Please try the following and let us know if it improves performance for you.

1. Open a CMD Window as an Administrator on the computer and enter the following commands:

• cd %windir%\system32\
  • lodctr /R
  • cd %windir%\sysWOW64\
  • lodctr /R

Note: This command resyncs the counter values.

2. Open up Regedit and navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfProc\Performance

3. Make sure that the value (if it exists) for the Disable Performance Counters is not 1.  If the entry does exist and the entry is 1, change it to 0 or delete that entry within the key.  ** PLEASE NOTE ** make sure you contact your system administrator before making changes to the registry, and make sure that you back it up before you delete it.

4. Restart the computer.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @MikeAustin

Please try the following and let us know if it improves performance for you.

1. Open a CMD Window as an Administrator on the computer and enter the following commands:

• cd %windir%\system32\
  • lodctr /R
  • cd %windir%\sysWOW64\
  • lodctr /R

Note: This command resyncs the counter values.

2. Open up Regedit and navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfProc\Performance

3. Make sure that the value (if it exists) for the Disable Performance Counters is not 1.  If the entry does exist and the entry is 1, change it to 0 or delete that entry within the key.  ** PLEASE NOTE ** make sure you contact your system administrator before making changes to the registry, and make sure that you back it up before you delete it.

4. Restart the computer.

Thanks

Ron

Sigh. Cleaned and installed 3.1.2 again as earlier, performed the above (the value for Disable Performance Counters was not in the registry). Nothing changed: the first reboot was OK and second reboot delayed 9.5 minutes. I will clean 3.1.2 and reinstall 2.2, again. Sigh.

11 minutes ago, dcollins said:

You mention there was one delay in event viewer. Would you mind exporting your System and Application event logs so we can take a look and see what's going on?

Here they are - just the selected events from the session I mentioned above. I had to rename them to allow upload. Please rename files to .evtx to view in Event Viewer.

system.txt

application.txt

2 minutes ago, dcollins said:

There also seems to be an issue with the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service starting, that happens before the .net issue. What happens if you try to start this service manually in services.msc?

That is the service I mentioned - pnrpsvc.dll. It is running fine at the moment, but I am back to running version 2.2. Please don't tell me to install version 3.1.2 again or I will have to go into therapy!