Cannot open programs

MBAE 1.09.2.1384 is responsible for the blank IE loading. The 1.09.2.1398 build released by the MBAE program manager on this post has been shown to fix that issue - https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/199801-mbae-10921384-internet-explorer-11-latest-updates-random-freezes/?do=findComment&comment=1121614

The most recent conflict that caused Windows to lock up involved Defender, SCEP and MSE. If you do have one of these products in use, it will require a special ignore list to be used. That list is here if needed - https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190771-malwarebytes-and-microsoft-security-essentials-conflicts/?do=findComment&comment=1100493

SEP has not shown any of that behavior but it always a good idea to setup mutual exclusions between security programs. The recommended SEP setup is with child process, Sonar and scan locations disabled for Malwarebytes processes. Here’s a video to follow – http://screencast.com/t/KN5dU7wPVZ11

Here’s the file locations to copy:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Managed Client\SCComm.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamapi.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamapi.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamhelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamhelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae64.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae64.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae-cli.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae-cli.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae-svc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit\mbae-svc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamnet.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamcore.dll
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.new
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.new.yaml

Edited by djacobson
spelling

@Bencunn I will keep you updated.

The last thing Dyllon said to me was this:

There's three pieces to Anti-Malware's real time, the file blocker, the web blocker and the whole engine itself. Each can be disabled to test which portion is causing the problem, that itself can help narrow it down greatly.

Our command line can help with the testing.

Tool location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamapi

Enable / Disable web blocker:
mbamapi /protection -enable ip
mbamapi /protection -disable ip

Enable  / Disable file blocker:
mbamapi /protection -enable fs
mbamapi /protection -disable fs

Enable / Disable entire realtime engine:
mbamapi /protection -start
mbamapi /protection -stop

If you have access to taskmgr still during the lock ups, you can kill the real time engine process, mbamservice.exe.

I have also partially replicated the problem on my own computer.

If I go to task manager and kill MBAMService.exe, the symptoms are exactly what is happening. minus the immediate lock up.

This does not happen if I I stop it via CMD or services.

Do you think it could be an issue with this process starting up?

@BenCunn I'm running ESET instead of Symantec now so it's not the same test.

Could you enable protection on one of the PCs and change the startup delay from the console to say 90 seconds?

mbamservice.exe is the whole realtime engine, if killing it causes the machine to lock up, the issue may not be caused by Anti-Malware's realtime engine at all, this points heavily to some other program that is interfering with mbamservice.exe. whatever that other process is, is what we need to find. @BenCunn do you also use Kaseya?

I loaded a clean Windows 10 64-bit virtual machine that has Windows 10 and VMware tools installed on it (no Symantec or additional 3rd party software).  I then installed Malwarebytes and restarted the computer.  After that I opened Task Manager, stopped MBAMservice.exe and it still locked up.

1 hour ago, djacobson said:

@BenCunn do you also use Kaseya?

We do not use Kaseya.

15 hours ago, djacobson said:

This is a console managed build yes? And .Net 3.5 is enabled in Windows Features?

It's pretty much a fresh copy of Windows 10 (Creator's Update) on a VMware virtual machine.  When I installed Malwarebytes, the installer asked to download .Net 3.5 so I did that during the installation and it's enabled in the Windows Features.

14 hours ago, djacobson said:

Use the commands for now guys, I'll investigate the mbamservice piece.

@djacobson I appreciate your help and time spent to look at this issue for us.

Another update:

On a computer with live MBAM protection enabled (website blocking ENABLED and no delay set) I had issues this morning.  I noticed it when i was unable to run an installer for a .exe file, then I opened File Explorer and had the "green bar bug".  A full Symantec scan was ran the day before.  I looked at the task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and saw that MBAMservice.exe was still running.  I tried the command prompt, mbamapi /protection -stop , but after hitting enter it got stuck and didn't go through.  I tried restarting and it got stuck as expected so I did a hard reboot.  I started up the computer, File Explorer was working again.  I opened command prompt, ran the command mbamapi /protection -stop and that worked correctly.

@BenCunn Dyllon told me yesterday that stopping the services via CMD whilst the problem is happening will not work. See his email:

I've come to find out from engineering that killing mbamservice.exe on the managed Malwarebytes will crash the machine, do not use this as a process for testing anymore. Bad advice on my part, I apologize. For the commands, don't use them when you are having the issue, set the computer to have web off, file on; another with web on file off before you start and see if the lockup happens accordingly.

You can also set this via policy, this way you can test populations of machines instead of one or two, and statistically the environment is much more likely to exhibit the behavior and show which realtime setup is part of the issue. Right click your main policy and make two copies of it. These two copies, we're going to setup the different realtime setups to test for which portion is the cause. Configure one policy one way and the other copy another way, assign machines to these policies and let them run. Let me know what you find out.

• 3 weeks later...