PUP detection but only in custom scan. Black screen before scan finishes

LGW

• Root Admin

The stuff found previously is of no harm it was in old System Restore Points and would have no effect on your computer being there or not.

Let me have you run the following please and I'll check on some updates for you.

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download Speccy from here and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to Run Speccy is checked before you click on Finish at the end.
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

Thanks

Ron

I wasnt sure if u wanted a speccy file or all file so I did a snapshot using both (I think).You might notice that I have upgraded my ram to 4Gb, what a difference!  Much more responsive but still cant open the start button.

Btw I appreciate all the help you have given, and I'm sure everyone is really thankful to have you and your team helping people like me who aren't very tech savvy but want to keep our personal information exactly that, personal.  Cheers.

As you have helped effectively remove/quarantine the mbam detections which is what I came here for, I totally understand if your time can be spent with plenty other folk who need help.Just let me know.  Otherwise please do continue.

Speccy 23.zip

Speccy 23.6.zip

• Root Admin

Okay, you're already running an Nvidia driver on Windows 10 that is not "officially" supported.

Please create a new System Restore Point. Then download and install this driver which is from 2005 and not officially supported on Windows 10 but is a newer driver than the one you're currently using.

See if that helps to improve video issues or not.

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron  I think I've downloaded the driver. Can you please check with new speccy zip file?  I still have the issue of the start menu not opening.  I just tried running a microsoft "troubleshoot problems opening start menu or cortana.  The diagnostic gave the following report "microsoft.windows.shellexperiencehost" and driver. "microsoft.windows.cortana" need to be installed properly. 

Did something make these install incorrectky?

• Root Admin

There are numerous things that can go wrong with an installation of Windows. Malware can damage the installation too, just difficult to determine what has actually caused the issue.

I don't see another Speccy, but please follow this article on how to try to repair Windows

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Let me know how it goes or if you need help.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

sorry speccy file attached for previous post

I also tried the SFC and DISM commands but didnt work, didnt want to do the system restore because I thought I might get reinfected again?  Or should I be OK now?  Anyway, does not having correctly installed the two  applications "Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and Microsoft.Windows.Cortana"  effect my PC performance at all?  if not I can live without it.

The only other question I'd like to ask is what do you recommend as routine security checks/maintenance and how often. 

Obviously Mbam, but how about the other ones you got me to do in post #2 (junkware remover, sophos, etc.) should I be using them routinely?

Thanks

speccy 25.06.zip

• Root Admin

Yes, the driver appears to be the latest one available now. Not that it will provide any better performance but at least it is the latest they offer for your card.

Cortana is part of Windows 10 now and is an important feature. I don't see how it could be missing or broken and DISM not find it as an issue.

I would love to help you further, but I don't work on Windows 10 support issues daily, so obtaining help from an official Microsoft support area or a site that is dedicated to Windows 10 support could probably provide better help on getting Cortana and the Shell issue fixed for you.

Normally one should not need to run scans very often as long as you're using our paid version with live protection or an antivirus with live protection. Running one of the other scanners from time to time just to help you make sure your system is okay is a good thing. How often would really depend on what type of sites and activity you do with y our computer. If you're on all sorts of gaming sites or facebook clicks all over then maybe check more often.