System Powers On for Half a Second

(Please move this if its not in the correct location.) Hello all. So I have a system that I'm just now getting around to diagnosing. Been without a desktop for a couple months now. My system stopped working suddenly, as the title states, when I hit the power button, the LEDs turn on and fans start, then within 2 seconds it immediately shuts off. No beep codes, no display. The power button on the motherboard itself stays lit the entire time though. I don't have a repair shop near me or any spare parts lying around to test with, and I don't want to just buy random parts until I find the problem. Is this the sign of a dead motherboard, or CPU, or what?

My parts include:

CPU: Intel i7-4770K

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: G Skill Sniper Series 4 x 4 GB

Case: Rosewill Challenger U3

Edited by Fluffyvoir

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, Fluffyvoir said:

Is this the sign of a dead motherboard, or CPU, or what?

It could very well be...

My hunch is it could be one of the following:

Bad Power Supply
Bad Mother Board (check for blown capacitors)
(overheating possible) damage may have already been done (lots of dust inside computer/fans/heat sinks

Do you have a CMOS Reset button or pins that you can short out on your motherboard?

You have a K SKU I see, and if you have a bad overclock, or the CMOS, or your BIOS/UEFI profile got corrupted, a reset to all defaults of your currently installed BIOS version might help.

This happened to me after I tried pushing my 6700K to the limit, using one single core, hyperthreading turned off, to reduce heat(I use fans, not water), and could validate 5.18986 GHz in CPU-Z.

The system booted into Windows still, but for the life of me, I could not get back into BIOS to revert back to my normal/daily 4.9GHz with all cores and HT on.

A CMOS reset helped, I thought I was bricked though, until I remembered to try this

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 2:28 PM, CliffS said:

Do you have a CMOS Reset button or pins that you can short out on your motherboard?

You have a K SKU I see, and if you have a bad overclock, or the CMOS, or your BIOS/UEFI profile got corrupted, a reset to all defaults of your currently installed BIOS version might help.

This happened to me after I tried pushing my 6700K to the limit, using one single core, hyperthreading turned off, to reduce heat(I use fans, not water), and could validate 5.18986 GHz in CPU-Z.

The system booted into Windows still, but for the life of me, I could not get back into BIOS to revert back to my normal/daily 4.9GHz with all cores and HT on.

A CMOS reset helped, I thought I was bricked though, until I remembered to try this

Resetting CMOS didn't help, both removing and replacing the battery, and jumping the pins. The overclock I have is only .5 Ghz as well, and it worked fine for over a year. Just stressed it a couple weeks before it died, and the performance did not degrade since day 1. Dust is also not an issue, I clean my PC regularly. About to just buy a new motherboard, Gigabyte is not getting back to me.

have you checked all cable seating(specially the ones connected to the PSU, and if at all possible try another PSU(borrow a friends)), also if you have a discrete GPU, try disconnecting it, and using the CPU's  Integrated graphics, to see if the GPU is causing problems at boot, as PCIe talks directly to the CPU.

2 minutes ago, CliffS said:

have you checked all cable seating(specially the ones connected to the PSU, and if at all possible try another PSU(borrow a friends)), also if you have a discrete GPU, try disconnecting it, and using the CPU's  Integrated graphics, to see if the GPU is causing problems at boot, as PCIe talks directly to the CPU.

All cable seating is fine, I have no friends in the area, already tried removing everything other than the PSU and mobo, including taking them out of the case, still no progress.

I had a problem with a box in the past that was very similar.  In my case, it was a power supply's overcurrent protection.  It shut down to prevent further damage.  There are no guarantees that your cause is the same as mine, but I just wanted to pass on my experience.  A spare power supply is generally available on Amazon or Newegg for $20-$50, depending on your supply's ratings.  Never hurts to have a spare anyway.

• 1 month later...

Last time I had this issue it turned out to be a bad USB hard drive of all things that I had to RMA (I thought there was no way that USB could prevent my computer from booting), but I'm glad to see RMAing your board worked. :)

Edited by ipkpjersi

8 minutes ago, ipkpjersi said:

Last time I had this issue it turned out to be a bad USB hard drive of all things that I had to RMA (I thought there was no way that USB could prevent my computer from booting), but I'm glad to see RMAing your board worked. :)

Oh I couldn't RMA it, they wouldn't take it for reasons I can't remember. Had to just buy one. I didn't have a USB hard drive hooked up, but good to know for the future.