Advanced System Care PUP?

Fred93561

I've used Malwarebytes for at least 15 years. I also have used Advanced System Care for about 4 years. Malwarebytes and ASC used to coexist very well, until  recently. 

Yes, I have read earlier posts about the MB falsely recognizing ASC as a PUP. And with the new version of ASC, MB has wreaked havoc on my computer for 5 days now. 

MB could be stepping it up a bit to accommodate another program  like Advanced System Care. MB could even improve their program to allow for more fix application tools. 

Instead, I kept Advanced System Care and deleted Malwarebytes so that ASC would run properly.

Sad. 

I think I will give Iobit's malware cleaner another try. I am hoping the Admin here will post exactly how to set MB's settings to ignore ASC. Maybe then I will re-install MB (my paid version). 

Thank you.

Edited by Fred93561

1 hour ago, Fred93561 said:

I've used Malwarebytes for at least 15 years.

Really ? >15 years  secret.gif.e5ff150c866a32d5a48accd947048a20.gif

Yes, It is sad when someone uses the software from a company that uses intellectual property theft to further their products.

Edited by David H. Lipman

Well............at least 9 years. (I thought it had been around longer than 2008?).......... I helped promote Malwarebytes in the early days and have always thought it was the best anti-malware program. I also maintain 30+ computers for a small company. The users also tend to enjoy using Advanced System Care because of its user-friendly interface and the manner in which it does a good job of cleaning junk files and reg errors. 

If Malwarebytes has a legal issue with some competing company, I urge them to handle it through legal channels. MWB could choose to rise above and improve their program instead of 'blocking' competitors and causing real issues for customers who have bought and run both programs. 

Meanwhile, MWB is off my computer (paid for a year, just a month ago).  We'll see if MWB steps up and takes care of this situation. 

Edited by Fred93561

Hi Fred,

Yes, it is a sad story indeed.  I've used ASC for the last 5 or 6 years (and MWB) without issue.  Unfortunately, MWB is now embroiled in a battle with Iobit (legal or otherwise) and has dragged the customer right smack into the middle of it by declaring ASC as malware (pup) and thereby deleting it from people's computers.  If you look down the page of file detections, you'll see a bunch of other threads dedicated to this very topic but Malwarebytes just closes them down thereby preventing more angry people from commenting.  We know ASC is not malware....MWB knows it's not malware...and yet here we are.  

I still say....shame on you Malwarebytes!!

Well , i don't trust IObit ,

Not just because they had a pretty bad record before , steal the data from Malwarebytes for IObit Malware  ,

but also i believe Malwarebyrs had more and better experience on antimalware .

For make sure i didn't make any misunderstood on IObit and Auslogics product ,

I try to install those software in my VM , and indeed there is so many PUP problem ,

and that is why i am full agree for what Malwarebytes decide and doing on IObit and Auslogics .

If there have anyone i know and ask me for the same problem ,

i definitely will tell them to trust Malwarebytes and remove those PUP software .

The point here is that Malwarebytes should NOT be dragging customers into their battle with Iobit.  Personally, I don't really care if one company took data from another company.  It makes no difference to me.  That is what courts are for.  When a company drags it's customers into the middle of their war thereby affecting people's computers...I (and obviously many others) think that is WRONG!!

Advanced System Care is NOT malware.  Everybody knows this (including MWB).  Unfortunately MWB doesn't care about their customers who use both platforms and making us suffer in the meantime.

Shame on you Malwarebytes!!  Listen to your customers here!!  If you have a beef with Iobit...then settle it in court.  Don't drag your customers into the middle.  Shame on you!!

I suspect this thread will be closed for comments very soon (just like the other threads)....which smells BAD.

Shame on you MWB!!  Shame shame SHAME!!

The point is that only vetted, trusted, software should be installed on one's computer. PERIOD.

A company that stoops to intellectual property theft to further their software can't be trusted to have their software housed on any computer.  If they can stoop to plagiarism, who know what else they may have in store in their application  That fact is outside of the fact that IObit software fits Malwarebytes' criteria to be classed as a PUP whether they plagiarized the MBAM signature base or not.

Vetting software and making sure that a software is safe to use in all respects is part of practicing Safe Hex.  You don't install software because it is sexy or it has a pretty GUI.  One installs software that is specifically meant to fill a need or specific  niche.  It is only after one looks at the software that is available to meet that need or fill that niche that one then looks at the company that produces it, their reputation, their country of origin and other factors to decide if that software "deserves" to run on one's computer.

I remember the event when IObit plagiarized the MBAM signature base.  I know how that did it and I know the outcome and we all know the subsequent fallout.

This is the last statement I'll make in this thread as I will un-follow it and no longer reply

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for clarity, spelling and grammar

Who are you to decide what programs are to be installed on one's computer??   If we choose to have both MWB and ASC installed on our computers, that's our choice...NOT Malwarebytes!!

Settle your disputes in court.....not on my (or anyone else's) computer!!  Don't drag your customers into your war with Iobit.

Shame on you Malwarebytes.  SHAME on you!!

David --- The public doesn't know IF another company "stole" your program code or anything of the such. Malwarebytes is the one holding the bag here and looking bad. And I've been a fan for years. I had to remove my MWB paid subscription. Customers like me only know that suddenly MWB does not coexist with Advanced System Care. Non-stop popups from MWB and calling ASC "PUP". It's not an unwanted program. So, I would suggest either enhancing  your MWB program, letting other program play nice with it or go to Court. It's really simple. 

Thanks, 

Fred

• Staff

Research has determined Advanced System Care by iObit has enough criteria to be detected as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). It is not malware.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pup/

If you want to keep the program anyway, you can exclude it from detections.

Ensure MBAM itself is the latest version.

Once updated, run a scan. When scan is done, and results are displayed, uncheck all the "Advanced System Care" items (and anything else) you want to exclude from removal. If there are any other items left to remove, have MBAM finish cleanup. You should be asked at this time if you want to ignore the unchecked items. You can choose to ignore once or ignore always. If you choose "ignore always", then MBAM should no longer detect ASC. The rest of the items if any will be removed as usual.

You mean, research by Malwarebytes had determined ASC to be potentially unwanted software.   It's clear that many people use both programs, for which ASC is not unwanted software.  Therein lies the difference.  

MWB flagged 1057 files / folders and you expect me to go through each one to see if I should flag or unflag it??  Get real!!

Stop dragging your customers into your war with Iobit!!  Settle it in the courts where it belongs.  Listen to your customers here and change your so called research so that ASC is not flagged / deleted from your customers computers!!  

The longer this goes on...the more you are alienating your (long time) customers.  I'm shocked you don't understand this concept.

Shame on you Malwarebytes!!!

• Staff

Please see blender's response above if you have any further questions about this topic. 

Due to the nature of the responses as of late, I'm locking this thread.

For all who come across this topic, unless the poster has "Malwarebytes Staff" in their signature, they are not a Malwarebytes employee.