Windows 10 Creators update

I'm running Creator on 2 Thinkpads Win10 x64 Pro with the latest MB3 just fine.

Edited by ingber

Hi PeaceRiver

There is one issue with Creators Update - if you use Windows Defender, it will be disabled with the MB default settings but that won't be obvious unless you actually open Defender or Action Centre.

See this discussion

Just a FYI.  I have not seen that behavior on mine.

If you would review in MB3,  Settings > Application tab, scroll down to the section Windows Action Center, the default and recommended selection should be on "Let Malwarebytes apply the best Windows Action Center settings".   The top choice of 3.

This is easy to repro in Windows 10 15062.11

Deactivate Malwarebytes
Uninstall Malwarebytes
Restart
Install Malwarebytes and activate.
Defender is turned off after activation.

Note that Defender icon shows tick, but when Defender Security Centre is opened, Defender has been turned by Malwarebytes. This should be fixed and quickly as people will be installing the Creators Update from 5th April (when Microsoft release the Upgrade Assistant Tool).

Clipboard01.jpg

I am running it on one computer and am having a problem where it will not update the definitions automatically. It is the lifetime paid subscription and is the up to date CU4 version. I can manually select "Check for Updates" and it will update. Scans work OK and all four protections turn on automatically.

Hi Dagar74,

Please let us know  the Brand-name of antivirus on this machine.  Is it McAfee, TrendMicro, Norton / Symantec, Security Essentials, Avast, BitDefender,  Kaspersky, or some other brand, which one exactly?
The antivirus may well be silently ( but innocently )  interfering with our real-time protection functions.

This report tool will collect some information on the installation of Malwarebytes and create a report for review:
Please close all open work programs and save your work.  Let's please have all open user programs closed so that you see a cleared up view to the Desktop.

Download mbam-check.exe and save it to your desktop    "from this link"
On Vista/Windows 7, 8, 10, Right-click on mbam-check-.exe & select Run as Administrator & allow to Run when prompted by User Account Control.

Reply YES when prompted to allow it to proceed.
Do have patience while the tool runs.  The tool runs super fast, and will flash a command prompt window.  
After a minute or so, or if you do not see any movement, please look on the Desktop for the file.

It should then create a log file mb-CheckResult.txt on the DESKTOP
You should attach the mb-CheckResult.txt file located on "your desktop".

Hi,

For the first time in 3 days, when I started the Notebook this morning the Taskbar Icon was normal, not indicating the need for an update. When I opened Malwarebytes it indicated that it was up to date. In "about", it showed 1.0.1648, but after I manually ran an update it was 1.0.1653. My AV is Kaspersky Total Security 2017 and I attached the MB CheckResult that you requested.

MB-CheckResult.txt

Hi Dagar74,

Your setup is fine.   Be aware that the 1.0.1648 / 1.0.1653  refers to the "database set", which is updated several times per day.

This pc has Kapersky, which typically also have a firewall.  Thus typically needs adjustment for what I term "trusted application" settings.

This pc has Kaspersky installed, so it is worthwhile to review it and be sure it has the adjustments that are needed.
To set exclusions for Malwarebytes in Kaspersky please do the following:

Open Kaspersky Total Security
 Click the Settings button on the bottom left (looks like a cog/gear)
 Click *Additional*
 Click *Threats and Exclusions*
Click Trusted applications

In the new window that pop up click *Add* at the bottom right
 Under *File or folder* click *Browse*
 Navigate to the following folder (or your install location for Malwarebytes if it's different from the default location):
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
 Click Select
 Make sure that ALL Protection components are selected and the Status is Active
 Click Continue on the Confirmation popup
 Click *Add* at the bottom right
 Navigate to the following:
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys (64-bit only)
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae.sys (32-bit only)
 Click "Add" at the bottom right
 You will need to repeat steps 12-14 for each of those files individually

As an added precaution you will also want to *disable* Advanced Disinfection.

Click the Settings button on the bottom left (looks like a cog)
 Click Additional
 Click Threats and Exclusions
 Uncheck the box next to "Enable Advanced Disinfection technology"

When all done, use the Windows Start menu and do a Restart.

10 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi Dagar74,

Your setup is fine.   Be aware that the 1.0.1648 / 1.0.1653  refers to the "database set", which is updated several times per day.

That's why I posted in the Comments and Suggestions section that MB needs to include in About  that show's the date and version(s) of each definition.  The way it is now, the user has to remember the current database numbers then constantly check to see if the number changes...another missed inclusion by the developers of MB v3!

Just look at Windows Defender.  It is clear and concise.

Robert

13 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi Dagar74,

This pc has Kapersky, which typically also have a firewall.  Thus typically needs adjustment for what I term "trusted application" settings.

This pc has Kaspersky installed, so it is worthwhile to review it and be sure it has the adjustments that are needed.
To set exclusions for Malwarebytes in Kaspersky please do the following:

Click the Settings button on the bottom left (looks like a cog/gear)
 Click *Additional*
 Click *Threats and Exclusions*
Click Trusted applications

In the new window that pop up click *Add* at the bottom right
 Navigate to the following folder (or your install location for Malwarebytes if it's different from the default location):
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
 Click Select
 Make sure that ALL Protection components are selected and the Status is Active
 Click Continue on the Confirmation popup
 Click *Add* at the bottom right
 Navigate to the following:
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys (64-bit only)
 C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae.sys (32-bit only)
 Click "Add" at the bottom right
 You will need to repeat steps 12-14 for each of those files individually

As an added precaution you will also want to *disable* Advanced Disinfection.

Click the Settings button on the bottom left (looks like a cog)
 Click Additional
 Click Threats and Exclusions
 Uncheck the box next to "Enable Advanced Disinfection technology"

When all done, use the Windows Start menu and do a Restart.

I posted in "computer freezes after updating Malwarebytes" that I can not add the sys files that you recommend to Kaspersky. I am copying my previous reply below. I will uncheck the box next t "Enable Advanced Disinfection technology"

Quote:  I already had all of the executables added to the list of Trusted Applications in Kaspersky Total Security 2017. I can not add the sys files that you recommended to Trusted Applications as they only accept executables. When I try to add them in the Exclusions section, it does not see those files and almost none of the files in System32\drivers folder (even though they definitely are there and I can see them in File Explorer).

I am attaching a screen shot of Kaspersky's Exclusions available in the drivers folder.

The notebook that has the problem is one I don't use too often and I wanted to experiment on it, so I updated the system to Creators Update version 1703, build 15063.11 and will be watching to see if I have the freezing problem or any other problems before upgrading my main computers or any clients.

dagar74

Kaspersky Total Security Exclusions List.PNG

1 hour ago, dcollins said:

This is because the Kaspersky UI is a 32-bit executable where as you need to access the 64-bit version of drivers. The easiest solution here is to change the path at the bottom of the screen to C:\Windows\Sysnative\drivers if it will allow you to type in there. 

Hi,

There is no Sysnative folder in my Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. Using the Browse function in Kaspersky, I can select the whole Windows folder instead of the System32 folder with no problem. I can search all of Windows for mbam.sys, for example, and will get nothing because the only option in the lower right of the Kaspersky Search window is "Executable files (.exe). which precludes finding .sys files. The files like mbam.sys are actually in my C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder when viewed with File Explorer. The problem is Kaspersky only allows adding Executables to the Trusted Applications list.

24 minutes ago, dcollins said:

@dagar74 the sysnative folder is a linked folder, that won't show up in the list. You have to type the path in manually. I'm not sure Kaspersky supports typing paths for exclusions though

I can type in the path C:\Windows\Sysnative\drivers\mbam.sys and it will search that folder, but not find anything because the only type file it searches for is ".exe" files. In the file type box at the lower right of the Kaspersky search window, the executables is the only option to search for. There is no other options like "any files" that I have seen in other apps.

2 hours ago, dcollins said:

@dagar74 are you trying to specify a trusted application, or add an exclusion? If you use add an exclusion, you should be able to type in the full paths manually as I've outlined below. 

58e6bc9ed3e03_ScreenShot2017-04-06at3_08_05PM.png.f9a2b58cd33b652743f62338793e62c2.png

This should allow you to add all the paths in sysnative as well as the Malwarebytes folder

58e6bca198ee5_ScreenShot2017-04-06at3_08_31PM.png.a72969351270aec538e2b58c1eaf0566.png

No problem adding these ".sys" files to Exclusions. All previous recommendations on the forum had been about adding to "Trusted Applications". I would not have known to use the Sysnative\drivers folder instead of the System32\drivers folder for these files so that was a big help. I will see how it goes for a while. Thanks.