HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\SECURITYCENTER\ANTIVIRUSDISABLENOTIFY & FIREWALLDISABLENOTIFY

Musabi

Hi,

Everytime I run a full system scan using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, it identifies the following issues:

Vendor

Disable Security Center

Category

Registry Data

Items

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\SECURITYCENTER\ANTIVIRUSDISABLENOTIFY

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\SECURITYCENTER\FIREWALLDISABLENOTIFY

I remove them and assume this has cleaned up these items, however, when it restarts, and a run a full system scan using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to check all is OK, it identifies the exact same items again.

I'm only slightly computer literate, but if anyone could assist with how I clean up these items once and for all, and advise if I am able to clean my computer it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Greetings and welcome Musabi ;) .

What anti-virus software do you have installed?

The reason I ask is because many of them (in particular Symantec/Norton and McAfee along with some others) will disable these settings because they have their own monitoring components and they don't want users bothered with twice the number of alerts should a component be disabled (these settings monitor whether your AV and Firewall are turned on or not).

If you have one of the above anti-virus softwares you can safely have Malwarebytes' ignore those items the next time you do a scan (a Quick Scan is sufficient).

The reason I ask is because many of them (in particular Symantec/Norton and McAfee along with some others) will disable these settings because they have their own monitoring components and they don't want users bothered with twice the number of alerts should a component be disabled (these settings monitor whether your AV and Firewall are turned on or not).

If you have one of the above anti-virus softwares you can safely have Malwarebytes' ignore those items the next time you do a scan (a Quick Scan is sufficient).

Hi, Apologies for the duplicated reply. Thanks for helping. I have Norton Internet Security 2005 (Live update done a couple of days ago). I'm a bit confused by the response above (not proficient at 'ITism', such as yourself).

When I do a Norton Full System Scan it picks nothing up, and when I run a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware System scan it keeps picking up the two mentioned entries.

I'm looking for clear instructions on how to remove these problems from my computer. Can you tell me if they are a major issue, or should I not be concerned at all? e.g. should I not use internet banking until these files are cleaned?

Also, if I have Norton, Malware and Adware programs do you recommend other software programs i should run on a regular basis to ensure my computer is safe?

Thanks again for all your help.

Excellent, it is as I suspected :D . Norton products disable the Security Center's notifications about antivirus by default because it monitors itself. Since this is the case you can safely highlight each item individually after scanning with Malwarebytes' and click ignore :) .

I'd also highly recommend that if you wish to continue using Norton that you eventually update to the latest version as it's much lighter on resources and has superior detection rates.

As far as other scans, occasionally running a free online virus scan with any of the following would help you to have peace of mind that your PC is clean:

You don't have to do them all, one or two is sufficient and you don't need to do it very often as long as you keep your own antivirus up to date. They're just good for a second opinion (perhaps once every 1-3 months).

If you have any more trouble let us know.

Update.disable.notify is the setting for Windows to notify you about the availability of Windows Updates. If you changed this setting yourself then it's safe to ignore, if you didn't then you should have Malwarebytes' fix it.

As for the other two entries, McAfee works the same way as Norton so the antivirus.disable.notify and firewall.disable.notify entries can be safely ignored as long as you have a version of McAfee that includes a firewall.

Update.disable.notify is the setting for Windows to notify you about the availability of Windows Updates. If you changed this setting yourself then it's safe to ignore, if you didn't then you should have Malwarebytes' fix it.

As for the other two entries, McAfee works the same way as Norton so the antivirus.disable.notify and firewall.disable.notify entries can be safely ignored as long as you have a version of McAfee that includes a firewall.

I honestly never really fool with anything I don't know what I'm doing. I usually have the updates set up for them to update automatically. My computer has gotten updates lately so what do I do there? I know I sound like a complete dingbat. Usually I know my way around computers but some things are just so confusing! I've still got that log up so I can click ignore on the two that you say I can ignore.

I really hate to bother you about something completely different. I also got something about a KillThisServiceT Malware.Trace Registry Value. What do I do with that? I'm just so scared I'm gonna mess something up big time so I honestly don't know what to do with that one.

Thank you so much for your reply. I really and truly appreciate it.

@ freakingoutbigtime

I see your already in the HiJackLog Forum, is the issue here being addressed in that forum? If so, you should not post here please until your done in the HiJackForum.... there are experts over there waiting for you. regards..

@ freakingoutbigtime

I see your already in the HiJackLog Forum, is the issue here being addressed in that forum? If so, you should not post here please until your done in the HiJackForum.... there are experts over there waiting for you. regards..

No replies and no help from over there. And that's understandable. I realize sometimes it takes time. I just saw the post over here and somebody that knew about the topic and posted over here. If I did something wrong you can delete my posts (or can I?) and I'll try seeking help from somewhere else.

All I'm asking is, focus on your topic in the HiJacKLog Forum. Please! If you post out here! and someone sends you to the HJK forum? Or a moderator transfers your post over there?. It screws things up... not a prob.. stay with your Log, ... later..