computer freezes after updating Malwarebytes

I updated my Lenovo Windows 10 Pro Notebook Malwarebytes 2 by uninstalling from control panel, running the mb-clean-2.4.1.1007 tool, rebooting and then running CCleaner. I rebooted the notebook and installed the beta preview of CU4/1.0.96 and it seemed to work OK and updated properly. The next day, shortly after startup, I updated Malwarebytes definitions and then opened Windows 10 Settings to check for Windows updates. The computer froze at that point with the mouse pointer moving, but unable to close programs or open from Taskbar. I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and it took about two minutes to open, clicked Task Manager and everything began to work OK. I was running on battery with about 90% capacity remaining.

This morning, I had the same type freeze while installing the new Excel 2010 KB update, which also hung until I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete that again took about 1 1/2 minutes to respond, and again clicking Task Manager restored computer operation.

I have never had freezes on this notebook since the early days of Windows 10. I am not certain whether the update to Malwarebytes is the cause, but am submitting the diagnostic data for your analysis. I considered uninstalling this beta preview of CU4/1.0.96 and installing the release version, which is about 600 KB larger, but your forum note on the release version indicated that it was not necessary to upgrade if you had the beta. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

logs.7z

MB-CheckResult.txt

Hello @dagar74

From the logs it seems like you are running Kaspersky AV.

One suggestion here would be to add the Malwarebytes exclusions to the Kaspersky AV and see how     your system responds.

Please  add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
  • C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

Try this and let us know how your system responds . We will take a look at the logs from our end.

Thank you.

I already had all of the executables added to the list of Trusted Applications in Kaspersky Total Security 2017. I can not add the sys files that you recommended to Trusted Applications as they only accept executables. When I try to add them in the Exclusions section, it does not see those files and almost none of the files in System32\drivers folder (even though they definitely are there and I can see them in File Explorer).

I am attaching a screen shot of Kaspersky's Exclusions available in the drivers folder.

The notebook that has the problem is one I don't use too often and I wanted to experiment on it, so I updated the system to Creators Update version 1703, build 15063.11 and will be watching to see if I have the freezing problem or any other problems before upgrading my main computers or any clients.

dagar74

Kaspersky Total Security Exclusions List.PNG

18 minutes ago, dagar74 said:

When I try to add them in the Exclusions section, it does not see those files and almost none of the files in System32\drivers folder (even though they definitely are there and I can see them in File Explorer).

You will have to wait on a Kaspersky user to chime in. I don't/wont use anything except Defender on my Win 10 computers.

• Root Admin

Hi there @dagar74

I believe you were on the right track with how you did the update but either the Malwarebytes check log is old or for some reason you did not get the latest version installed.

Your version from log: "dbcls_pkg_version" : "1.0.1630",

My version from my log: "dbcls_pkg_version" : "1.0.1648",

You should be able to just download the installer again, overwrite any current downloaded version you have even if it has the same name.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

Then install over the top of the current installation of Malwarebytes. Then restart the computer and check for updates again.

If the computer locks up again, then go into safe mode and open Malwarebytes and set it to not load on startup. Then restart back into Windows Normal Mode and once back at your desktop and all is working well go ahead and temporarily disable Kaspersky and then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Make sure all the protection modules load and activation is still valid. Then on the about section of the program see if it's updated to the 1.0.1648 build.

Then re-enable Kaspersky and verify that exclusions are still valid for both programs and restart again and let me know how it goes, please.

Thanks

Ron

Thank you for your reply. Since I was planning to upgrade this computer to the Creators Edition, vs 1703 as a test, I went ahead and updated it after my original post. I have now had a couple of days to observe Malwarebytes after the upgrade and it has not been freezing anymore, which makes it look like Windows 10 Anniversary version may have had a problem. The only issue I am having with Malwarebytes now is having to manually update the definitions. I posted about that in the forum item: "Windows 10 Creators Update" and included an MB-Check result. I will take your advice and re-download the latest Malwarebytes and watch it for a few days to see if the definitions will update automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @dagar74

We just released a new Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU 4.1 update which fixes an issue MB had with Windows Defender.

Please refer to the forum post below to get an idea about the new build and its changes.

With the latest build you should have absolutely no issues with the Windows 10 Creators Edition.

Thank you,