Error message trying to install v. 3.0 over previous v. 2.1.4.1018

I have been running Malwarebytes version 2.1.4.1018 without issues.  I recently purchased and downloaded the new version 3.0.  However, upon following the installation instructions, I continue to receive the error message, "This version of Malwarebytes is not compatible with the version that you are currently have installed… contact your system administrator for assistance," see attached screenshot.  The installation will not proceed, even if the error is ignored, and the "Next" button is clicked.  I tried uninstalling the current version (v. 2.1.4.1018), rebooting, and the same installation error occurred upon attempting to install the new v. 3.0.  I also ran a "check system files," and found no issues with my operating system software (Win 10). 

I would like to stay with Malwarebytes, so if you all could help me, I would be very appreciative. 

Error message trying to install Malwarebytes v. 3.0.jpg

hi Jim,

Thank you for reaching out, to hopefully give me your hand to resolve my efforts to purchase (done), and install and get the new 3.0 version running (stuck).

In any case, to answer your question above, yes, I believe I did purchase the business edition initially (4-5 yrs. ago).  Then I upgraded to:  "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premium) 2.1.4.1018."  Please see the attached screenshots, for more details. 

I also have "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit for Business" running in parallel (screenshot attached).  I am a home user, so I don't know why I'm running the business version of Anti-Exploit.

So if you are thinking that the incompatibility error message I am getting upon trying to install v.3.0 (Home version), could be due to a conflict with "vestiges" of the business version?  If so, what could we do to resolve the conflict?

Thank you again, Jim. 

malwarebytes current version on PC on 03-30-17.JPG

Malwarebytes- installed on PC on 03-30-17.JPG

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit for Business- installed on PC on 03-30-17.JPG

Edited by roucisjb
images were blocking text message

The business version of Anti-Exploit is why your installation is getting blocked. We currently don't allow upgrading the business version to a our consumer version.

That being said, if you started with business but aren't using it anymore, you should be able to uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and install Malwarebytes 3, as it has Anti-exploit bundled within it.

12 minutes ago, roucisjb said:

I also have "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit for Business" running in parallel (screenshot attached).  I am a home user, so I don't know why I'm running the business version of Anti-Exploit.

I have seen this before. Go ahead and uninstall all of your Malwarebytes products and restart. Be sure to deactivate your MB license FIRST and make Note of your key . Run the MB clean tool. Restart And then install 3.0 normally and activate.

Edited by Porthos

Hello Jim, Devin, and Malwarebytes engineers responding,

Thank you for your help.  I followed Devin's instructions, above (see attachment), by uninstalling Anti-Exploit, restarting, then opening the old anti-malware program, and installing the new 3.0.  I didn't run mb-clean, as Devin's instructions didn't call for doing this step (have I missed anything?).  I was able to install 3.0 without issue, and I'm running my first scan now.  All seems to be working properly. 

I hope that Malwarebytes will refund my purchase of Anti-Exploit, since it comes bundled with the new v. 3.0 for home users. 

Thank you, John

malwarebytes screenshot- help forum- 04-01-2017.JPG

hi Devin,

The business office took care of the concerns I had re: the 2 licenses.

Could you help me complete my v. 3.0 installation, with one final question.  I have installed v. 3.0, and it seems to be running fine.  I've attached a screenshot to show that I only have MB v. 3.0 installed now.  Do you still recommend that I: (1) deactivate the license, uninstall v. 3.0, then run the MB-Clean tool, the reinstall v. 3.0, and reactivate?

Thank you, John

Malwarebytes- installed on PC on 04-08-17.JPG