Malwarebytes 3.0.5 and Windows Defender

I am helping to test out the next version of Windows 10 due out soon. Called Windows Creator Update.
I noticed now Windows Defender shuts off when the malware protection is enabled in Malwarebytes. 
If I shut off malware protection in Malwarebytes Windows Defender will turn back on. 

I was looking for any information on this and I came across this about Malwarebytes 3.0.

Can I still run Malwarebytes alongside my Symantec, McAfee, etc.?
Certainly! We built Malwarebytes 3.0 to be compatible with all major antivirus software, even Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials.

So I'm wondering is shutting down Windows Defender when Malwarebytes is on with full protection working as intended?

Thanks for your time.

Hi EremiticWolf

On the Creators version of Windows 10, Malwarebytes will, by default, register itself as the primary antivirus and Defender will turn off.  But, you get no indication of this, because the Defender icon still sits there with a tick on it.  It is only when you open Defender that it shows that it has been turned off and replaced by Malwarebytes.

You can override this behaviour - in Malwarebytes > Settings > Application - set Windows Action Centre to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Centre"

Since Malwarebytes is not an antivirus, my opinion is that it should not turn off Defender by default, or at least ask permission to do this.

Hello John,

Thanks that worked. I agree we should be asked before any program shuts down Windows Defender.
Thanks again! 

Though Malwarebytes seems to be going in the direction of being an Antivirus.
Taken from the Malwarebytes News section:

"Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement"

Edited by EremiticWolf

37 minutes ago, EremiticWolf said:

Though Malwarebytes seems to be going in the direction of being an Antivirus.
Taken from the Malwarebytes News section:

"Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement"

Might want to read this post.

" First off, Malwarebytes 3.0 is not an actual antivirus and we have never said that it was. "

Thanks for the clarification. Someone might want to edit this post.

Because this makes it sound like it is an Anti virus.
So, I can replace my traditional antivirus?
Yes! As I said above, over 50% of our customers already have too. We believe in layered defense and built Malwarebytes 3.0 to provide the right mix of proactive and signature-less technologies to combat modern threats and zero-day malware. The combination of our Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware, Website Protection, and Remediation technologies has you better covered against modern threats than the traditional antivirus companies that charge more for less effective protection.

16 minutes ago, EremiticWolf said:

We believe in layered defense

I do as well and I us MB as a layer with Windows Defender. The av of your choice is there to catch the file types that MB does not. There have been many posts on what MB detects and what it does not. Remember you have to scan or actually run a file before MB takes action. Most AV programs will detect it on download and take action.

Email attachments. You have to open and run the attachment BEFORE MB is there to block the downlad the payload or or take action on the downloaded payload when it attempts to infect your system (web protection-anti-ransomware-Malware protection)

I do not know what is in the thoughts of the marketing dept. as I do not work for MB.

Edited by Porthos

Thanks for the clarification. The "We believe in a layered defense" came from the post I linked here on the MB forum.
Been using Malwarebytes for a long time. Even have the lifetime upgrades. Just threw me off while using the Windows Creators Update that Windows Defender shutoff and was using MB as the anti-virus. Glad John told me how to fix it.
I'm going to send some feedback to Microsoft about it to let them know. 
The new Windows 10 update is due out around April 11th. So I hope anyone using MB and Windows Defender will find this post and know how to fix the problem, if the problem still exists.

30 minutes ago, EremiticWolf said:

The new Windows 10 update is due out around April 11th. So I hope anyone using MB and Windows Defender will find this post and know how to fix the problem, if the problem still exists.

And it will take months to fully deploy to users who don't manually install it like the last upgrade did.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2017 at 3:01 AM, John A said:

Hi EremiticWolf

On the Creators version of Windows 10, Malwarebytes will, by default, register itself as the primary antivirus and Defender will turn off.  But, you get no indication of this, because the Defender icon still sits there with a tick on it.  It is only when you open Defender that it shows that it has been turned off and replaced by Malwarebytes.

You can override this behaviour - in Malwarebytes > Settings > Application - set Windows Action Centre to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Centre"

Since Malwarebytes is not an antivirus, my opinion is that it should not turn off Defender by default, or at least ask permission to do this.

I went ahead and upgraded to the Creators Version (1703). Thank you for informing how the fix the Windows Defender Security Center, as it is called in 1703. I did have it set to the default which was the setting previously and did not cause a problem. I guess 1703 thinks Malwarebytes is an AV, which it is not. I like Malwarebytes + Defender protection. I do not like the fact that I had to enable Cloud-based protection and Automatic Sample Submission to get the green check mark. I had those 2 options disabled previously, I hate that MS thinks it knows better than us or want more info about us and uses scare tactics.

On 4/6/2017 at 0:58 AM, John A said:

It is not Microsoft that is the problem, it is Malwarebytes - MB should not register itself as an AV without permission!

I've never used any AV/AM solution that asked permission prior to registering with Security Center/Action Center, however we do have a setting allowing the user to configure this manually if desired.  They may choose to force Malwarebytes to register with Action Center/Security Center, not to register, or to allow Malwarebytes to automatically decide whether to register or not (which is based on its default setting based on the system's current configuration; though this particular situation actually exposed a bug due to how MS is now handling Action Center in Windows 10 with the release of the new update; something we do intend to fix with a workaround in the code on our end).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just ran across this helpful thread. I agree with those who prefer to keep Windows Defender active as the registered W10 virus protection along with MB to supplement malware/spyware and zero day exploit protection. Even MB Premium 3 is not sufficient by itself. Maybe that will change someday, but it's not there yet.

I'm guessing the issue of MB registering itself and disabling Defender has been resolved by now (June 6, 2017) because I see Windows Defender real-time and cloud-based protection are On and running happily alongside Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.6.1469.