MBAM 3.0.4.1469 Service Freezing

SKU - MalwareBytes Premium

Version 3.0.4.1469
Package 1.0.7.5
Update 1.0.1063

Problem :

When scanning, the scan gets stuck on "Heuristic Analisys" - after many hours it fails to complete (used to take about 2 minutes).

PC becomes very unresponsive during this process.

On restarting the computer, I note that the MalwareBytes Service has hung.

Killing the Service and rebooting results in a working MBam until the next scan.

Note that if I fail to kill the service, MBam is still broken on the next restart (Service resumes in an unstable state).

This behavior also seems to repeat every time the machine resumes from sleep.

In order to resolve the problem, I followed the instructions for registering, running the clean tool and reinstalling - hasn't helped.

Help would be most appreciated.

Oh - btw, when it's stuck, on the Scan page, for "Currently Scanning: " it says "Checking for updates" - which may indicate what's causing the fail because it's actually up to date.

Also, the "Pause" and "Cancel" buttons are greyed out, and they're inoperative while performing heuristics so I have to kill the process.

Note - same version is fine on my laptop - only the desktop failing (had been running happily for years).

Help desperately needed.

Hello and Welcome

There is actually a newer version CU4 Beta that will most likely fix your issue.  Follow the steps below to install the latest CU4 beta.

CU4 Beta
Malwarebytes version: 3.0.6.1469
Component package version: 1.0.96
Update package version: 1.0.1611

Let's try this first.... (Please remember to de-activate your Malwarebytes first before un-installing or using the clean removal tool)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (after uninstalling you can download the latest version to re-install from HERE) (If you prefer to test the latest Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU4 -- BETA Preview which corrects many issues with the current version you can get it from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 4 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 4 logs are: mbam logs zipped, FRST.txt, Addition.txt and mb-checkResult.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU4 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

Something interesting - will report it before I forget (I'm about to go to a long meeting <groan>).

I just unregistered MBAM in preparation for uninstalling. After closing, the Service terminated ( previously it would have hung).

Will install the beta later and report back.

Sadly, the results are slightly worse.

MBAM now freezes while performing the file scan. Still have to close the app and kill the Service.

Here's what I did :

Deregistered MBAM.

Uninstalled.

Ran cleaner (newer one this time - mb-clean-2.4.1.1007

Rebooted

Installed and registered mb3-setup-consumer-3.0.6.1469-1.0.96

Any idea where to go next :-)

Just reporting some new symptoms with 3.0.6.1469 1.0.96.

Now gets stuck on "Scan Startup Files". Been stuck on this for 7 hours.

Clicking the "Cancel" button greys out (disables) the Pause/Cancel buttons but the scan keeps running.

Can you try the following steps?

1. Close Malwarebytes by right clicking the icon in the System Tray and choosing Quit Malwarebytes
  2. Download the attached ProcDump.zip file
  3. Place procdump.zip in C:\
  4. Right click on procdump.zip and then choose properties
  5. In the window that pops up, click the unblock button near the bottom and then click ok
    Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 11.06.23 AM.png
  6. Extract procdump.zip.
  7. Check that the extracted files are in the directory "C:\Procdump"
  8. Right click "mbamservice_procdump.bat" and select Run as administrator.
    • If you did the steps correctly you will see the following:
      procdump_running.png
  9. Open Malwarebytes again
  10. Run a threat scan with MBAM 3.0.
  11. When MBAMSERVICE.exe crashes it should close that command window and generate a memory dump file in "C:\Procdump".
  12. Please upload that crash dump. Note that the dump file may be too large to upload here, if it is, please upload the file to wetransfer.com and send the file to dcollins@malwarebytes.com

procdump.zip

Sorry, missed the part where it wasn't  crashing. Can you follow the details below to make a memory dump of the running service please?

1. Start a scan with Malwarebytes
  2. Wait until the scan hangs
  3. Open up Task Manager by right clicking your system tray on the bottom of your desktop and then clicking Task Manager in the popup
  4. Click the Details tab along the top
  5. Find MBAMService.exe
  6. Right click the process and choose Create Dump File
  7. A window will popup telling you it's creating a dump file, and when done, will show you where it's at
  8. Zip up that file by right clicking it and choosing Send To -> Compressed (Zipped) folder
  9. Upload the zipped folder or use wetransfer.com to send the file to dcollins@malwarebytes.com

@dcollins . Hi Devin - it's a couple of weeks since I've been able to do a virus scan now, and I'm a bit worried.

I know you folks must be very busy - I'm not complaining.

But I'm wondering whether it would be better for me to raise a ticket, or whether I should stick with the current process.

Grateful for advice

Cheers

Horbs

Tried something different and logged in under my SysAdmin account (almost nothing installed there in terms of software). Ran MalwareBytes scan and of course it hung, but look at the file it hung on 

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\S-1-5-21-2565699495-376689064-226105966-1001-03312017101440933-UsrClass.dat{a05466de-151b-11e7-820d-50465d6a7c26}.TM.blf

(see screenshot). 

Is this pure coincidence or might it indicate the cause of the fault?

Cheers

Horbs

Hung_MBAM.jpg

Would you mind following the steps below again to create a crash dump? The old link no longer works and I want to make sure I am looking at the proper one you sent me

1. Start a scan with Malwarebytes
  2. Wait until the scan hangs
  3. Open up Task Manager by right clicking your system tray on the bottom of your desktop and then clicking Task Manager in the popup
  4. Click the Details tab along the top
  5. Find MBAMService.exe
  6. Right click the process and choose Create Dump File
  7. A window will popup telling you it's creating a dump file, and when done, will show you where it's at
  8. Zip up that file by right clicking it and choosing Send To -> Compressed (Zipped) folder
  9. Upload the zipped folder or use wetransfer.com to send the file to dcollins@malwarebytes.com