Update Problem? Host File!

So after some testing, to see why there are so many update problem with MBAM recently, I found that it is the host file. Any changes to your host file for any reason, seems to cause the program from being able to update MBAM. It used to be fine for everyone not to long ago but whatever they have done it has, killed the service for so many. Hopefully this helps some people realise what is happening, as to their updates not working. I'll post a default log text for windows 10 that you can copy and paste into your host file to allow updating to work once again until they fix MBAM.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#    127.0.0.1       localhost
#    ::1             localhost

hosts.7z

Edited by LoneStrider

So hash check on this file for premium users, because pirated version needs to block certain IP there so it doesn't rule out the activation?

That is really stupid, because i will never remove the blocks to the M$ spying network so i can update my premium Malwarebytes version every day....

Free version updates just fine with this file modified.

Will wait one week and issue а refund if it's not fixed.

Edited by Izanami

thanks for posting but I am entirely sure your findings are correct... I have a modified hosts file and have no issues with updating...  I use a program called Unchecky and it added stuff to my hosts file as shown below and I can update on all my computers with this modified hosts file.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host
#test
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost

# unchecky_begin
# These rules were added by the Unchecky program in order to block advertising software modules
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 # fix for traceroute and netstat display anomaly
0.0.0.0 tracking.opencandy.com.s3.amazonaws.com
0.0.0.0 media.opencandy.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.opencandy.com
0.0.0.0 tracking.opencandy.com
0.0.0.0 api.opencandy.com
0.0.0.0 api.recommendedsw.com
0.0.0.0 installer.betterinstaller.com
0.0.0.0 installer.filebulldog.com
0.0.0.0 d3oxtn1x3b8d7i.cloudfront.net
0.0.0.0 inno.bisrv.com
0.0.0.0 nsis.bisrv.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.file2desktop.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.goateastcach.us
0.0.0.0 cdn.guttastatdk.us
0.0.0.0 cdn.inskinmedia.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.insta.oibundles2.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.insta.playbryte.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.llogetfastcach.us
0.0.0.0 cdn.montiera.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.msdwnld.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.mypcbackup.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.ppdownload.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.riceateastcach.us
0.0.0.0 cdn.shyapotato.us
0.0.0.0 cdn.solimba.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.tuto4pc.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.appround.biz
0.0.0.0 cdn.bigspeedpro.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.bispd.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.bisrv.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.cdndp.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.download.sweetpacks.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.dpdownload.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.visualbee.net
# unchecky_end

I never had anything else than MS blocks in the first place...

@Firefox

Thanks for trying to help, but my hosts file is in read only state and not modified since 2016. And i never had problems with updating before that.

And again if hosts file was the issue i wouldn't be able to download updates with the free version too.

Edited by Izanami

If I remember right, the system that the pirates blocks in the hosts file is the key server, which (I believe) has nothing to do with the update servers.

If Malwarebytes is not working well with other domains blocked, then the problem is in Malwarebytes, in the software or the servers, not in the users' hosts file. I always had a modified hosts file and never had any problems with Malwarebytes updating until it suddenly appeared, so no, the problem is not on the hosts file unless you are actually blocking Malwarebytes' update servers.

Edited by axkazex93

27 minutes ago, Izanami said:

Thanks for trying to help, but my hosts file is in read only state and not modified since 2016. And i never had problems with updating before that.

And again if hosts file was the issue i wouldn't be able to download updates with the free version too.

What harm does it do taking a couple minutes and do it just to humor us at least? It has helped people who were not pirating the software via the hosts file.

Same my MBAM was fine till roughly at most a week ago, roughly the same time everyone else started posting they encountered the exact same problem. It is obviously something to do with MB and possibly a recent update or hotfix type thing, or maybe it is something to do with the updates microsoft has been pushing this past while.

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

What harm does it do taking a couple minutes and do it just to humor us at least? It has helped people who were not pirating the software via the hosts file.

No harm doing it ONCE or TWICE, but if issue not fixed i have to modify/unmodify every now and then to get updates.

So hopefully we will see a fix soon.

I am going to be honest, I did the host block thing so it doesn't block my lifetime pirated key that you usually get online. your probably asking why don't you just buy it! Well because I do NOT want to pay for a year licence I want it lifetime no extra charge. If you want provide me a lifetime licence that would be perfect Now i may purchase a 2 year licence. Until now I was having no issue updating the program even with the host block in place. I do apology if you think I am terrible person for NOT buying the program but I don't have money to do auto-renew. Thank you for understanding 

Edited by Awesomegamer20

46 minutes ago, Awesomegamer20 said:

I am going to be honest, I did the host block thing so it doesn't block my lifetime pirated key that you usually get online. your probably asking why don't you just buy it! Well because I do NOT want to pay for a year licence I want it lifetime no extra charge. If you want provide me a lifetime licence that would be perfect Now i may purchase a 2 year licence. Until now I was having no issue updating the program even with the host block in place. I do apology if you think I am terrible person for NOT buying the program but I don't have money to do auto-renew. Thank you for understanding 

giphy.gif

47 minutes ago, Awesomegamer20 said:

Honestly I to would prefer a lifetime to.

I check my Host file , i also had add some bad IP address or website link in my Host file , for security reason .

But funny is , my Malwarebytes is legal lifetime license , and there is no problem when i try to update , even i had edit my Host file .

From then till now , the host file never causing Malwarebytes update problems .

I had many IP adress inside my Host file , but seems that is not a real reason make Malwarebytes can't update ,

I agree the #3 floor says , The free version had no problem for update , there is no reason Premium version can't ,

So this situation is strange :/

I guess , just guess ~ , maybe Malwarebytes had try to detect if there have any firewall or Host file try to block Malwarebytes IP ,

than the data server will refusse update ?

Edited by KevinYu0504

1 hour ago, Awesomegamer20 said:

You know you only have to do it ONCE every one or two years, right?  If you are pirating a program then you have no right to criticize their developers if some day they decide to block you from using their software, or parts of it. But I don't think that Malwarebytes decided to block the pirated programs... there could have lots of other measures they could use to prevent people from using their software illegally and they don't do it, as opposed to many other AV/AM companies and they never did.

I actually think that Malwarebytes is very generous for not caring very much on blocking pirated copies of their software, allowing people to use it because they really could block the program when it recognizes during a scan that their domain in the hosts file, or when the program recognizes that it can't connect to the key server... Different from other av companies, Malwarebytes is not too aggressive on this matter. But it doesn't mean that people should be encouraged to pirate their software, because it really costs time and specially MONEY for the company to research, develop their softwares, thirdy-party licenses, paying their employes, and all... so yeah if you really like the software, please do buy it, unless you really, reeeeaally really really really REEEEAAAALLY can't.

Edited by axkazex93