Jump to content

uninstall?


Recommended Posts

Since the advice to install CU4 is to first uninstall CU3, what is the best way to uninstall?  The advice given on the download page for mb-clean-2.4.1.1007.exe seems to say to use this only as a last resort?  I assume self-protections, etc. must first be disabled?  Or, does a standard Win10 install from the Control Panel suffice?

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, ingber said:

Since the advice to install CU4 is to first uninstall CU3, what is the best way to uninstall?  The advice given on the download page for mb-clean-2.4.1.1007.exe seems to say to use this only as a last resort?  I assume self-protections, etc. must first be disabled?  Or, does a standard Win10 install from the Control Panel suffice?

The most important part is to deactivate first to avoid activation issues later. You might as well clean install because the tool only takes a couple seconds to run. But in regular circumstances the regular uninstall is supposed to work. But I have to admit but till all the issues are worked out I would always recommend the clean install tool after a regular uninstall.

Edited by Porthos
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, daman1 said:

Close all open browsers so MB can hook and un hook it self during install and uninstall

Disable self-protection If possible.

 Disable license/key Deactivate is the term lets not confuse people with different terms.

Use an uninstaller like Revo(Optional what I do)/ reboot,,Use Mb- clean tool

reboot

install MB

Reboot again just to make sure every thing sets correctly.

Set your schedules and exclusions.  And run your first threat scan.

 

I am borrowing your post a bit to add some things. Pleas no disrespect intended. :)

Edited by Porthos
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would add one thing.  After you deactivate the license, Malwarebytes is still running in the "free" mode.  Therefore it is best to "Quit Malwarebytes" from the task bar before you uninstall.  Otherwise the uninstall can hang and you might leave a few items still installed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are all about not confusing anyone its as simple as 1, 2, 3

  1. Disable Self Protection (if you have this feature on (default install has it ON)) (although I believe the tool will run even if this is ON)
  2. Make note of your License info and Deactivate your License
  3. Simply use the mbam-clean tool (no other special tools or uninstallers needed)
  4. Reboot when asked to reboot
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2017 at 9:21 PM, Firefox said:

If we are all about not confusing anyone its as simple as 1, 2, 3

  1. Disable Self Protection (if you have this feature on (default install has it ON)) (although I believe the tool will run even if this is ON)
  2. Make note of your License info and Deactivate your License
  3. Simply use the mbam-clean tool (no other special tools or uninstallers needed)
  4. Reboot when asked to reboot

Thank you.  Simple indeed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Firefox said:

@throkr It is always best, IMO, if you deactivate it only to avoid issues later on where you may get an error that your license has been used too many times...

I agree : that's an excellent reason to deactivate it every time. Plus, in the meanwhile, I consulted this topic where it is clearly recommended.

Thanks for your advice, Firefox !   ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Firefox said:

@throkr It is always best, IMO, if you deactivate it only to avoid issues later on where you may get an error that your license has been used too many times...

For reference, this should be fixed as of the 3.0.6 update because the root issue here was losing the license information on reboot. During a normal uninstall of MB3, your license will be deactivated. However it can't hurt to have your license information backed up/deactivated manually

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Firefox said:

@dcollins, does the mbam-clean tool also deactivate your license?

If the installer runs properly, yes. The first step in mb-clean (mbam-clean is for 2.x, mb-clean is for all products including 3.x and below) is to run the uninstaller, but that could fail. Depending on where it fails would let you know if the license didn't deactivate.

That being said, the issue we fixed in 3.0.6 also fixed how your machine checks in to our servers. So even if the de-activation fails, you should still be able to activate properly on the same machine because our systems will be able to identify it's the same machine. That's not to say it can't get out of sync occasionally, but it should not be nearly as bad as it was in 3.0.5

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.