Premium version updates not working

• Root Admin

Hello @pfefferc

Sorry to hear you were affected by an updating issue.

There was a certificate issue on an update server that caused other update servers to not work for a few hours. This has been corrected now for a while. Are you still having an issue with updates?

7 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @pfefferc

Sorry to hear you were affected by an updating issue.

There was a certificate issue on an update server that caused other update servers to not work for a few hours. This has been corrected now for a while. Are you still having an issue with updates?

No, it is still not updating and more users are reporting this issue now as well.  It also does not work on a fresh windows install and mbam install... everything installs and works correctly except for the updates.

• Root Admin

Hello @pfefferc

Sorry to hear. I have verified that there are no current ongoing update issues on the backend. Let me have you do a clean removal and reinstall of the program which will correct any missing files and ensure you have all the latest files for the program.

Please read the following topic and then run the Malwarebytes Clean Removal tool mb-clean

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/196955-malwarebytes-mb-clean-tool/

The download link for the tool is:  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

Restart the computer when done and reinstall Malwarebytes 3 with the latest build again.

Here is the link for the latest installer

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3/

Thank you

Ron

• Root Admin

I understand and I agree. But I also find it very difficult to believe you have hundreds of computers not updating. I have dozens of my own and none are having an issue updating today. The backend servers are not showing any issues today either. We have over 10 million customers and we are not seeing an update issue today. Thus, that makes me believe that something else is going on preventing updates on your end.

I can certainly dig in and review logs of one of your computers with you if you like, just let me know.

Thanks

1 minute ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I understand and I agree. But I also find it very difficult to believe you have hundreds of computers not updating. I have dozens of my own and none are having an issue updating today. The backend servers are not showing any issues today either. We have over 10 million customers and we are not seeing an update issue today. Thus, that makes me believe that something else is going on preventing updates on your end.

I can certainly dig in and review logs of one of your computers with you if you like, just let me know.

Thanks

Well

1) you should believe it as it is true and

2) Not something you should say to a client paying thousands of dollars a year on a product!

• Root Admin

No disrespect meant, just meaning that all issues preventing updates have been corrected and if you restart the computer and click on updates, it should update.

Please grab me some logs from one of the computers not updating and I'll review what might be going on. Yesterday there was a certificate error on an update server which then affected other update servers. That was corrected and we're not seeing an update issue today.

Let me get the following log from an affected computer.

Create and obtain an mb-check log:

1. Download mb-check from here and save to your desktop
  2. Run mb-check and within a few second the command window will open and then close
  3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-checkResult.txt
  4. Attach this log file to your post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Then the following logs from the same computer.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you again

Ron

• Root Admin

The mb check log shows that this computer is unable to obtain the installation token which can affect updates.

Please verify that you're able to reach the following sites from a command prompt via ping and that no firewall is blocking them either.

https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com Port 443 outbound
https://keystone.mwbsys.com Port 443 outbound

The servers are geo-based so your server name and IP may be different than mine.

C:\>nslookup data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
Server:  newyork-ns01.cyberghostvpn.com
Address:  38.132.106.139

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    e4280.g.akamaiedge.net
Address:  95.101.9.101
Aliases:  data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
          data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.edgekey.net

Pinging e4280.g.akamaiedge.net [95.101.9.101] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 95.101.9.101: bytes=32 time=159ms TTL=50

C:\>nslookup keystone.mwbsys.com
Server:  newyork-ns01.cyberghostvpn.com
Address:  38.132.106.139

Name:    keystone-key-prod-web.us-east-1.elasticbeanstalk.com
Addresses:  34.200.15.211
Aliases:  keystone.mwbsys.com

Pinging keystone-key-prod-web.us-east-1.elasticbeanstalk.com [34.200.15.211] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 34.200.15.211: bytes=32 time=140ms TTL=233

There is no firewall blocking it

Ping request could not find host https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/. Please check the name and try again.
Ping request could not find host https://keystone.mwbsys.com. Please check the name and try again.

Direct click on the links results in
403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Tested the above again from a separate network with same result

nslookup data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Name:    e4280.g.akamaiedge.net
Address:  23.63.111.107
Aliases:  data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
          data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.edgekey.net

ping e4280.g.akamaiedge.net

Pinging e4280.g.akamaiedge.net [23.63.111.107] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 23.63.111.107: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=57
Reply from 23.63.111.107: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 23.63.111.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 8ms

nslookup keystone.mwbsys.com

Name:    keystone-key-prod-web.us-east-1.elasticbeanstalk.com
Addresses:  34.200.15.211
Aliases:  keystone.mwbsys.com

Pinging keystone-key-prod-web.us-east-1.elasticbeanstalk.com [34.204.230.41] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 34.204.230.41: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=238
Reply from 34.204.230.41: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=238
Reply from 34.204.230.41: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=238
Reply from 34.204.230.41: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=238

Ping statistics for 34.204.230.41:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 46ms

If you have a next gen firewall, content filter, proxies, etc, those URL's need to be explicitly whitelisted on them. It is not the resolution of the address that is usually blocked, it is usually because of SSL packet inspection. Additionally, you are not using the correct software for a business environment, you are using a consumer product. This makes it quite difficult to manage thousands of installs as the consumer product has no provisions in it to be remotely or centrally managed like the proper business versions. Not to mention using the consumer product in a business environment is a violation of the EULA.

Edited by djacobson

1 minute ago, djacobson said:

If you have a next gen firewall, content filter, proxies, etc, those URL's need to be explicitly whitelisted on them. It is not the resolution of the address that is usually blocked, it is usually because of SSL packet inspection. Additionally, you are not using the correct software for a business environment, you are using a consumer product. This makes it quite difficult to manage thousands of installs as the consumer product has no provisions in it to be remotely or centrally managed like the proper business versions. Not to mention using the consumer product in a business environment is a violation of the EULA.

We have no next gen firewall, content filter, proxies, etc...  

you are not using the correct software for a business environment
yes we are.  We use the Corporate version and have a Corporate license.  We inquired about the 3.0 update for this version and this is what they sent us to install for the update. Some of our machine are running the legacy 1.80.2.1012 version so I will gladly use a separate update tool if you can provide one for 3.0 + Corporate.  As of yet, I have not seen a 3.0 corporate installer.