How turn off messages to upgrade to MB3?

I've used and highly recommended MBAM for years. I've been dismayed, however, at the number of problems reported (and still being reported here and elsewhere) about MB3.  These reports have made me stay with MBAM2 Premium, for which I have a lifetime license. Recently, I started getting persistent messages telling me that I should upgrade, and that the upgrade is ready for installation. I have NO wish to exchange a problem-free MBAM2 for the apparently still somewhat buggy MB3. Is there a way to turn off the messages asking me to upgrade? If not, can I ignore them indefinitely? When, specifically, will MBAM 2 Premium cease to work? Please understand that I really do hope to upgrade to MB3, but not until it works as well as MBAM 2.

To disable your Malwarebytes v2 from upgrading to MB3 do the steps below.

1. First You need to disable Program Updates, Go to Settings -> Update Settings and Uncheck -> Check for program updates when checking for database updates

Check_for_Updates_unchecked.jpg.4f711addd848f2bd13110e13b79eeac3.jpg

2. Next Verify that you have Enable self-protection module Off - Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Enable self-protection module

disable_self_protection.jpg.9ea945effb9b40265429ddb9f6d63912.jpg

3. Lastly go to folder C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and delete file mbam-setup.exe (its a hidden folder so you will need to show hidden folders)

delete_mbam-setup_file.jpg.3351db827db700ed44e623578646d989.jpg

4. That should do it... (you can reboot your computer to verify it won't nag you again)

Thanks
Firefox

Edited by Firefox

1 hour ago, Firefox said:

Glad to know its helping quite a few people...

Yup! One thing that I would suggest to people: Although (Step 2) "Enable self-protection module" may be helpful in some cases, I found it to be actually a problem in some cases. If you close the MalwareBytes, it prevents you from opening some programs (like Chrome) and copying some files (I think it depends on the location but either way...). Because of this, I disabled it, and suggest others do too, especially if they plan to toggle MWB for any reason. Thank you again Firefox! :)

8 hours ago, Firefox said:

This feature is disabled in v2 by default... and it is Enabled in v3 by default...

Right. But I was just following the guide you have above, which says to do that. Some people may prefer to have it on, but I think right now I want it off. I sometimes close MWB and I don't want that interfering with things. 

8 hours ago, Gator5000e said:

Thanks for this guide. I don't have the mbam-setup.exe file in the directory even when showing hidden files. Should I be concerned?  

Yeah whether or not you have a setup file there just means you will or will not get the notification. If you don't have it, that's alright. 

• 4 weeks later...

Please correct me if  I am wrong, but it appears (from my experience today) that clicking "Later" to the "update nag popup" prevents the currently installed version of MBAM from enabling Real-Time Protection. Not sure whether this is an unintended consequence of clicking the "Later" button or not ......... ?

I am presently running version 2.2.1.1043.  Once I followed the instructions in Post #2 of this tread, the nag popup ceased and Real-Time Protection was enabled on the next reboot.

11 minutes ago, joshuals said:

Yes....I understand.  But after clicking "later" I found that the Real-Time Protection on this existing install would not turn on.  Does that make any sense?

clicking on later should have no effect on the Real Time Protections turning on...  What version are you running?

I'm running a recent re-install of V2.2.1.1043.

In a previous thread I described how, in early April, I allowed an update to Version 3 which resulted in several problems, including the well-documented issues of conflict with Microsoft Office 2016 and Real-Time Protection not starting.  I reverted back to V2.2.1.1043 and the problems went away......until I began to get the pester screen to update again.  After clicking "later" I noticed that not only was Real-Time Protection not running, but the radio buttons in Settings -> Detection and Protection (for Malware Protection and Malicious Website Protection) were set to "disabled".  Not sure how that happened, but everything had been running normally for about two weeks after the V2.2.1.1043 re-install until I was prompted to update.

In any case, the solution you provided in this tread fixed the problem and all is well.

I will certainly be interested in allowing the update when the issues I experienced with V3 have been resolved.

@joshuals here in about 2 weeks they are supposed to be releasing another update which will include a fix for the MS Office bug. 

That being said, if you decide to upgrade again to MB3 I would first uninstall v2, then run the mb-clean too and finally download and install the newest MB3.  This gives you a cleaner install.