False Positive (s) WinZip Utilities Suite

RothfussTp

A fool and his money are soon parted; I recently purchased Malware Bytes 3 but soon after realized that it had disabled my WinZip Utilities Suite and quarantined a number of files as intruder/potential threat/etc. I followed the directions step-by-step to remove Malware Bytes entirely, I forwarded the log as requested and performed a clean install from the link provided to me. 

As soon as I purchased a new license for my WinZip Utilities Suite (which was about to expire anyway) immediately as it began installing the warnings of intrusion/threat/bad stuff/don't worry we gotcha back started popping up so quickly that I couldn't keep up with them. I removed MalWareBytes 3 (again) and attached is the clean result log resulting from this. I will accept the $40.00 loss as my naiveté, I'll keep an eye on the forums; perhaps one day MalWareBytes 3 will be developed enough for users like me. 

mb-cleanresult.txt

• Staff

Hi,

The log attached is the log from using mbamclean instead. 

Malwarebytes probably detected this as PUP.Optional, which doesn't mean it's malware, but Potentially Unwanted Program, so removal is optional. For such, in case the program was intentionally installed by you, you can add this to your exclusion/whitelist.

Thanks!

On 3/23/2017 at 9:06 AM, miekiemoes said:

Hi,

The log attached is the log from using mbamclean instead. 

Malwarebytes probably detected this as PUP.Optional, which doesn't mean it's malware, but Potentially Unwanted Program, so removal is optional. For such, in case the program was intentionally installed by you, you can add this to your exclusion/whitelist.

Thanks!

Yes, you are correct; the log was indeed from mbamclean. I did try adding the program to the exclusion list; however, Malwarebytes detected many instances of PUP. each time I tried to activate the program, to install a new version of it, etc. I'm not sure how to work around this...each time I end up with a quarantine filled with these instances and a program which no longer works including any shortcuts, etc. 

• Staff

Hi,

Once you add something to exclusions, it should stay there, unless of course, you have been using mbamclean afterwards - which explains why everything gets detected again.

So please don't use mbamclean after updating or reinstalling if you want to keep these exclusions there.

Assuming you have MB3 installed in a meanwhile - Please do the following actions first:

* Go to settings > protection > Potential Threat Protection. For PUPs, select to Treat PUPs as "Warn User". (this is only temporary until you could properly add everything to the exclusions).

* Go to exclusions > Add Exclusions > Exclude a file or Folder. There browse to the folderpath of Winzip Utilities to exclude that folder.

* Perform a scan with Malwarebytes.

* For everything it has found related with Winzip Utilities, make sure these aren't checked and click Next. Then you will get an additional popup window what to do with the "unchecked items". In this case, you need to select: "Ignore Always".