On Monday, I received the upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0.6 from the previous one and I have to say, I am not happy with it at all. My main gripe is that it has become more resource-heavy when one of its processes, "MBAMProcess", takes up over 300MB of memory and with that number being higher than "explorer.exe" and "svchost.exe" combined, and even worse when I have Mozilla Firefox open that also consumes memory, and this is because I only have 4GB of memory for this laptop (which is a Dell Inspiron N7010) and when I performed the first scan with it, the laptop is forced to work harder as it causes its fan to spin faster, implicating that the scanning process is now much more intense and to be frank, is not good for a seven-year old machine. Don't want the fan to wear out each time I do a scan. Also, the animations within the program are somewhat choppy even during the scan and from what I've seen and experienced, I feel this is more optimised for Windows 10 but that's solely my opinion.

Unhappy with this, I decided to downgrade it back to 2.2.1.1043 but after I did that, I am denied of real-time protection and with the program nagging me to upgrade each time I open it. Even if this has three more months of support, I feel this is entirely not fair unless I done something wrong. According to the FAQ, I didn't know you had to reboot after the removal of the new version and then install the older one. Maybe that's why I'm getting this but, I don't know. I don't really want to part with the software itself as it has been very good to me since I had it, and I hope things will change for the next release even with what I said above.

Hi @BryanF. Because there are more protection modules built-in into MB3, you may notice more RAM being used. We are also working on improving our memory footprint for future releases.

That being said, it sounds like you're running a scan with the main Malwarebytes window open. This will cause the process to consume more CPU and RAM as it uses more resources when visible. If you minimize/close the Malwarebytes window, the scan will run in the background and use less resources.

As for the upgrade prompt you're now receiving, you will want to go into Malwarebytes settings (in 2.x) and disable the option for application updates. You'll also need to close Malwarebytes from the system tray and delete mbam-setup.exe from C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\. Then you'll stop getting the update prompt from 2.x to 3.x

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me this. And about the upgrade prompt, I did all of these already (from another thread about it) and now, MalwareBytes complains that the system is "not fully protected" and when trying to click on the "Fix Now" button, nothing happens. Is there anything that can be done about that like, reinstalling it?

They weren't... probably because I downgraded. I turned them back on though but even so, they don't appear to be ticked when I see them after right-clicking the program's stsyem tray icon. Also, after the scan that was done, I still see that error. What now?

Ok, let's start by clearing everything out and starting from scratch just to make sure no leftovers are causing issues. Download mb-clean from the following link and run it, it should remove any files from 3.x or 2.x that are on your machine. Then re-install Malwarebytes 2.x, activate, and see if it resolves your issue. https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean