Office 2013 not working after upgrade

I just upgraded MalwareBytes to v3.06 on Windows 10.  I think I might have been on v2 before because the interface is different now and I believe the upgrade mentioned something about the "new version 3".  Anyway, since then, half of my Office 2013 applications won't run.  They start and show in the process list (CTRL-ALT-DEL) but don't show on the screen, no splash page, don't show in task list (Windows-TAB).  Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are the ones that do this.  Outlook, Access, and Publisher seem to work fine.

At first I though something happened to my Office so I reinstalled it, same thing. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled it, same thing. Then I uninstalled and completely wiped all traces on disk and registry and reinstalled, same thing.  I started stopping running processes and after killing MalwareBytes, they all loaded fine.  I rebooted and killed MalwareBytes before killing anything else and it worked fine.  Also, once I start Word or Excel, if I try to start MalwareBytes back up, I get an Unable to start dialog with the message "Unable to connect the Service".

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by RidgebackKing
More details

Hello and Welcome

Let's try this first.... (since this was an upgrade from v2 to v3)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (after uninstalling you can download the latest version to re-install from HERE)
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 4 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 4 logs are: mbam logs zipped, FRST.txt, Addition.txt and mb-checkResult.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about Malwarebytes 3.0.6 CU3 HERE; MB 3 User Guide ONLINE; MB 3 User Guide PDF; MB 3 FAQ: Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

Well, it did and didn't work.  I followed the instructions and deactivated my license, ran mb-clean, rebooted, installed fresh, rebooted. My office apps appear to be working fine now with MalwareBytes running. However, now when I try to reactivate my license in MalwareBytes, I get an error MBAM404101 - installation_token Not Found.

Ok, here are my next steps:

1. Wanting to get my license activated, I used mb-clean to remove MalwareBytes.
2. Re-installed mbam-2.2.1
3. Activated with my license
4. Installed mb3
5. Had to activate my license this time (perhaps it didn't install as an upgrade since I ran it from the downloaded .exe), but it worked.
6. Office products don't start again
7. Run mb-clean again to start over
8. Install mb3.
9. Activated with my license
10. Office products don't start again.

Note I did reboot between each step above.

I ran through the diag post and attached are the files.  When I ran FRST, however, it gives me an error (jpg below). I can continue to scan but it hangs on "Scanning Edge" so the log file is until that point (it's been running for 30 minutes now).

mb-cleanresult.txt

FRST.txt

frst_error.jpg

logs.zip

MB-CheckResult.txt

Does Word work if you launch it in safe mode?

To do this, hold down the Ctrl key when you click on the Microsoft Word icon to open it. You should see a message asking if you want to launch in safe mode.

More instructions can be found here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Open-Office-apps-in-safe-mode-on-a-Windows-PC-dedf944a-5f4b-4afb-a453-528af4f7ac72

1 hour ago, Norwian said:

Try this,

In Protection > Advanced settings > Uncheck BottomUp ASLR Enforcement option in MS Office column.

That worked for me in Office 2016.

I don't know if it is 100% right but is the solution for now.

This is definitely something I would check. Also since Adobe is having the same issue, there should be an option for reader.

The other option is you can go to Settings -> Protection -> Managed Protection Applications and turn off protections for the applications that are having issues.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 1:50 PM, dcollins said:

This is definitely something I would check. Also since Adobe is having the same issue, there should be an option for reader.

The other option is you can go to Settings -> Protection -> Managed Protection Applications and turn off protections for the applications that are having issues.

So the only way I could get Office apps or Adobe Reader to work was to turn off protections for those apps.  Not very comforting having to disable protection on some of the most popularly attacked apps, especially when there are news items like this:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hackers-are-attacking-word-users-with-new-microsoft-office-zero-day-vulnerability/