malware (firefox-patch.js)

Hello, I just joined this site and hope I am asking for help in the right way and using the right method. I use Firefox and lately have been bothered by the popup "firefox-patch.js" which I believe to be malware. I have not downloaded it,and, wish to get rid of it. I wonder why Malwarebyte scans do not pick up this problem and rid me of it. I run scans every day,but, it keeps popping up. Any comments would be much appreciated.Thank you

Thank you Aura for responding. No, I do not use any adblocker. I have run a Google search on it,and, the comments seem to show that it is some type of malware ,and, not a legitimate ad. I run both Norton and Malwarebytes ,but, they do not seem to find the problem. Do you think an adblocker would help ?

These aren't really "malware" per say, but more of a consequence of malvertising. Malvertising has been on the rise in the last few years, and one thing it does is force redirect you to fishy websites/webpages, like the one asking you to update your Mozilla Firefox. There are pages for Google Chrome, Flash, etc. as well. Using an Adblocker (like the ones I listed above) prevents this from occuring. So install one (I suggest uBlock Origin) and see if you still get these redirections.

Hello ffwfire, Thank you for your response. After receiving another tip about trying an adblocker,I did go ahead and downloaded Ubock Origin from the Mozilla support page. If that does not work, I will try your suggestion. What's troubling to me though, is that neither Malwarebytes Premium (which I pay for) or Norton  can not seem to find this crap. It makes one wonder what else is getting by them. Thanks again

Well Aura, I received a very pleasant surprise today when I opened my "Outlook Mail". The Ublock is already working ,and, is blocking all the ads on the right side panel. I use to click on them by mistake while scrolling. I guess that alone is worth the price of admission,so to speak. Thank you once again,you have made my day.